Vegetarian "Clean Eating" while weight lifting

Options
Hello, all!

I hired a personal trainer - whom I just love - and together we set up a 12-week diet/workout plan. I modified the "chicken breast" portion because my husband is a vegetarian, and I'm MOSTLY one. It's just easier for us both if I make the vegetarian meat-substitutes instead of chicken.

I have 3 weeks left on this program - and have made incredible progress. Today I admitted to her that I've been using the chicken substitute and she kind of jumped on me because it's not "clean".

Well, NO KIDDING!

I do use a whey protein (which causes me bloating and gas because I'm lactose intolerant). I'm almost near tears right now because of it. I can't think of anything else to do other than buy the rotisserie chicken from the store and keep it in the work fridge because I will not subject my husband to me cooking foods he can't eat (that he'd like to but can't because of a medical issue).

I'd welcome any suggestions, funny comments, or anything that might either help or make me feel better.

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think the key element is the macros. If the veggie chicken subsittute is relatively close on the macros, screw the rest.

If the issue is it's more processed, you can get more clean stuff that is vegetarian: Tempeh comes to mind. It's the clean unprocessed version of tofu. And it's not too shabby. It looks weird but its good stuff. I like to fry it up in olive oil and put goddess dressing on it. You can also make strips and cover them in BBQ sauce and bbq them.

When I am "clean eating" i still eat things like boca burgers. I don't see how it's any worse than eating meat, honestly.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Thanks, sweetie -

I love you, too!!!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest Mel - what does this diet plan look like? I've been trying to "clean" mine up but don't reeeeeally know where to start! (I am veggie though, so looks like I'll never be totally clean :bigsmile: )
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    some whey isolates are lactose free..your stomach may handle them fine...or there are other vegetarian mixes that should work fine for you...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

righty-o. What is "clean" varies. But i think we can all agree on some basics of what is not clean, eh? Like no sodas. No mcD's. stuff like that.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!

I hired a personal trainer - whom I just love - and together we set up a 12-week diet/workout plan. I modified the "chicken breast" portion because my husband is a vegetarian, and I'm MOSTLY one. It's just easier for us both if I make the vegetarian meat-substitutes instead of chicken.

I have 3 weeks left on this program - and have made incredible progress. Today I admitted to her that I've been using the chicken substitute and she kind of jumped on me because it's not "clean".

Well, NO KIDDING!

I do use a whey protein (which causes me bloating and gas because I'm lactose intolerant). I'm almost near tears right now because of it. I can't think of anything else to do other than buy the rotisserie chicken from the store and keep it in the work fridge because I will not subject my husband to me cooking foods he can't eat (that he'd like to but can't because of a medical issue).

I'd welcome any suggestions, funny comments, or anything that might either help or make me feel better.

There is a decent book 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition' from Human Kinetics, which is a highly respected fitness publisher. TBH chicken breast is not that nutritious anyway, would your trainer permit canned oily fish like mackerel, sardines or salmon? It's easy for just one and packed with long chain omega-3s. If not just pick the best vegetarian product, setting aside the 'clean' label some contain more bad fats and carbs than quality protein, others are reasonably nutritious.

There are also non-whey vegetarian protein powders, although arguably any protein powder is not truly clean because it's an lab made processed extract not a wholefood! Egg whites and cottage cheese are both low fat and reasonable protein but not terribly tasty or nutrient dense.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!

Well, NO KIDDING!

Have you tried a pure whey isolate? Those basically have practically all the fats and lactose removed. Pretty much like around 98% pure whey.
  • bdough94
    Options
    I love NOW brand Pea Protein. I scoop = 130 cals and 28 Protein. Been using it in my shakes for years. I also add small amounts to yogurt sometimes, or soups that I make in my Vita Mix. It is super blend-able, and zero taste (to me).
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of the same issues with whey. I use Garden of Life Raw Protein. I get it at the health food store. A little more expensive, a bit odd to get used to the taste (I use the original flavor and have never tried the vanilla or chocolate) but no gastric issues for me.
  • mkkloos
    mkkloos Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to have a sit down with your personal trainer. You should not be forced to do ANYTHING that brings you this close to tears, forces you to hide food from your husband, or affects your health. Tell her that you appreciate her expertise on the matter, but eating meat and whey protein is just not possible for you to incorporate into your life. Tell her that since you made the first meal plan together you want to work with her to either come up with some alternative products or adjust the plan.

It probably would have been best to inform her that you would not be able to deviate from your dietary restrictions from the very beginning, but since we cannot go back in time we can only move forward. The fact that you have made significant progress over the last nine weeks shows that you are dedicated and capable of working towards your fitness goals. She needs to respect that and work with you to accommodate your needs.

Remember that she is not your friend, no matter how much you like her - - she is your employee. You have hired her to assist you in obtaining your goals, and one of those goals should be feeling good about yourself. You cannot do that if you are bloated, gassy or stressing yourself by to fit into her idealistic opinions on “Clean Eating”. If she is unwilling to work with you – or bullies you again, find a new trainer and do so without any guilt.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If your trainer is on you because your vegetarian friendly chicken substitute isn't "clean" then I would ask your trainer what the supposed differences would be were you to eat chicken instead.

If the veggie option is relatively close in macronutrient content then the net difference between overall diets will be negligible as will the difference in body composition from said diet.

My belief is that your trainer is very wrong on this issue, but you should ask the question to get some reasoning beyond "chicken is clean and therefore better".
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

righty-o. What is "clean" varies. But i think we can all agree on some basics of what is not clean, eh? Like no sodas. No mcD's. stuff like that.

Or we could scrap the concept and focus on the entire diet instead of trying to partition our foods into good vs bad.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could take some Lactaid to aid in your digestion of the whey.
    Mike