I'm new (sort of) and looking for friends in the same boat!

Options
Hi! I am a mother of three young kids and I'm trying to make time for me. I have been a member for awhile, but was never too consistent at it. I'm back and am committed to logging every day. I need to make positive changes for myself and my whole family. My 10 yr old daughter is now becoming overweight. I am looking for friends because I think it will help motivate me and encourage me to keep going!

My biggest issues with weight loss are: exercising consistently and portion control. I am also a carb/sugar addict and know that I have to cut way down on carbs and cut sweets out of my diet completely in order to be successful. Right now this is proving hard because I'm only on day 2. I am craving the bad stuff, but luckily I didn't buy anything bad when I went grocery shopping. I am also very hungry all of the time!!!! As for exercise, I have to get up at 4:45 AM if I want to go to the gym so right now I'm doing that every other day. On the off gym days, I do a DVD but that can be challenging with a 3 yr old wanting my attention every two minutes. I live in Chicago so outside activities are out of the question right now.

If you are in the same boat, please add me!

Replies

• aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I totally get the gym thing. I would have to get up at 5am to go and my body keeps telling me no!!! I plan to go on the 3 days I don't work and do 30 day shred on 3 other days after the kids go to bed. Only me time. I was committed for about 6 months and lost 32lbs but fell off for 4 months and gained back 15lbs.

But I recommited myself. I will do this and do it right this time. As everyone says, its not a diet, its a lifestyle change!!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm deff in the same boat. I've been a member of the local gym for three years and I lost some weight the first time, but put it back on pretty quick, and then hit the biggest weight I've ever been. I would always make an excuse as to why I couldn't go...but after looking at the scale I can't make excuses anymore....

So far, I've lost a few lbs., but I've got loads of lbs to lose still.

I've also cut bad carbs out of my diet, so I know how that goes (I'm one extreme or the other kinda lady myself.)
  • ashlesmommy
    Options
    Hi- I can completely relate!! The stress of 3 young children, trying to work, keep up on the house & find ME time is sometimes overwhelming. We deserve it though!! For ourselves and our children =o) I have went back and forth with losing and I am ready for this to be it!

I am like you and crave sugars/carbs....I am in the process of trying to find healthy alternatives that help with cravings as well as learning portion control (it's ok to have 1 piece of candy, you don't need the whole bag kind of thing). It definitely helps to have friends to motivate each other!
  • hollylonzo
    Options
    I'm in the same boat too. Three young kids and no time. I'm also addicted to the sugar/carbs. One good thing I found to do with the kids is include them in on the exercise. I run every day and I have my boys go with me. The older two end up playing football with each other but my youngest loves to run/walk with me. When they were younger (toddler and pre school age) I would just turn on music in the house and dance around and be silly with them. It's good for everyone and lots of fun.
  • Suzyqz37
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and adds! It's nice to not feel so alone!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was doing DVDs at home but my little one is 10mos now. She ALWAYS needed my attention. I just recently joined a gym that has childcare. Are there any gyms by you that has this? It's AWESOME! I can't believe I didn't think to look for gyms with childcare before!