Trouble eating healthy

Options
I notice with most people that are on the journey of losing weight, most turn to eating healthy, most to an extreme. It's understandable that you cannot go through life eating cheeseburgers and fried foods and expect to be healthy. However, what do you do when you have never eaten vegetables, never liked them, and the taste of most "healthy" foods makes you want to hurl?
They say you have to adjust to new foods but is there any other way??

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You need to detox in my opinion. Your body is now doubt addicted to the sugar and salt.

I have always eaten vegetables but not really big into fruit. Perhaps try cooking the vegetables in different ways and experimenting as the way you cook them can vary the taste and texture.

You don;t have to like all vegetables, just experiments - you are bound to find something you like!

I would try sweetcorn, potatoes, carrots for starters.
  • Ashley578
    Options
    I started eliminating things from my diet that were easy to go without; soda and fast food. When making a lifestyle change it's not realistic to ONLY eat super healthy options; the key is portion control. Instead of going to a drive thru for my lunches I thought of other fast and easy options and looked to nutrition shakes. I tried slim fast and thought they were terrible but I actually really like the taste of the Special K shakes and because I'm not a fruit eater it gives me a lot of extra vitamins my body was lacking. I do my best to stay under my suggested calorie intake and if I go over I make it up with extra time exercising that day. I try and make better choices throughout the day and when I do well I reward myself with a twix ice cream bar for dessert (170 calories) I've also had a lot of luck with just trying to prepare healthy options differently (ex: I don't like the texture of a banana so I make smoothies with them)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a homemade cheeseburger made with quality ingredients as a "diet food". Healthy foods are not all steamed / raw vegetables. You can still have sauces and seasonings and meat and sandwiches and pasta. Just not in heaping platefuls at a time.

But to eat healthy you do need vegetables. Try roasting them in the oven. This brings out a wonderful carmelized flavor that makes everything taste better. Or try adding them to sauces, or using them in casseroles, stews or soups. Puree them if you need to so you don't see them.

Or put a little reduce fat cheese on them. Everything is better with cheese.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a homemade cheeseburger made with quality ingredients as a "diet food". Healthy foods are not all steamed / raw vegetables. You can still have sauces and seasonings and meat and sandwiches and pasta. Just not in heaping platefuls at a time.

But to eat healthy you do need vegetables. Try roasting them in the oven. This brings out a wonderful carmelized flavor that makes everything taste better. Or try adding them to sauces, or using them in casseroles, stews or soups. Puree them if you need to so you don't see them.

Or put a little reduce fat cheese on them. Everything is better with cheese.

100% agreed. For me, I'm cooking a lot of the same stuff I was cooking before...but I've substituted olive oil instead of butter...1% milk instead of whole cream, etc, etc, etc. And yes, for me, a lot of it has simply come down to actual serving sizes...not the serving sizes in my head.

I have most definitely cut back on "junk" food as well and I'm eating a lot more whole, natural and nutrient dense foods these days. I do this not for weight loss (you get that with a deficit)...but for for better overall nutrition.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Start with your favorites and tweak them a bit. For example, make your cheese burger at home with lean ground beef and reduced fat cheese. Use 1/2 regular and 1/2 whole grain bun. Add a couple of lettuce leaves and a slice of tomato and/or onion. Things like that. Add a grated carrot to your spaghetti sauce, etc. You can usually find a way to add to the nutrition of your favorite foods.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i was just like you when I started. Now, I haven't had cake in years and actually CRAVE oats and broccoli. I never thought I'd see this day but you will too. Give it a chance and have an open mind.
  • mustangmonie
    mustangmonie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are there any ethnic foods you like? You could try eating vegetable selections that are cooked with sauces or seasonings for Chinese, Mexican or Italian food. That way they would have flavors you already like to make the veggies taste like something enjoyable and familiar.

Using them to make soups and pureeing the soup might work.

You could also try checking out or purchasing a book on how to sneak veggies into your children's meals. Granted you are not a child but the same tricks might work. You would know what you were really putting in the food, but the experts will have already done the research as to what is palatable for children that don't like veggies yet eat them when disguised.

Good luck! I can't imagine not eating vegetables. I love to eat them and they are loaded with good things for you AND you can eat a lot more food and feel full, not deprived as most are far lower in calories than other foods.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean most of the time, but life is also to be lived.
    Don't get sucked into food fascism.
    All things are permitted but in moderation as defined by your daily calorie goals and macro balance.
    And that included that BK WHopper I had...:drinker:
  • The_Fat_Friend
    The_Fat_Friend Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Most people turn to "healthy" eating because you get more bang for your caloric buck; it's a win-win on eating lots of low calorie foods vs. a small portion of high caloric foods. the nice thing about this system, is you work the system in the way that works for you. If you want a snickers and dr. pepper for breakfast and it fits in your calories, eat it. however, keep in mind as you lose weight, your caloric intake will decline and that is when being able to fit the nutrient dense and low calorie foods (vegetables) into your day will benefit you and keep you fuller longer with a higher success rate.

If you are just starting find a baby step and take it....don't try to overhaul your system all at once.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    Likey your problem is like what mine was. I only started eating vegitables about 2 years ago and I am 50 years old now. I didn't like them either, but I discovered the reason I did not like them is because no one ever taught me how to cook them so they would taste good. My mom always over boiled our vegitables and they were soggy and gross. A nice minimal steam to just get them hot is is all you really need. They stay crunchy and retain the "raw" taste and usually I don't need to put anything on them to eat them. My husband still like to cover his in butter and salt and pepper, but that's what he grew up with! Just steam them and just enough to get them hot you might change your mind and your taste for vegies. Give it a shot and tell me if you change your mind.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I notice with most people that are on the journey of losing weight, most turn to eating healthy, most to an extreme. It's understandable that you cannot go through life eating cheeseburgers and fried foods and expect to be healthy. However, what do you do when you have never eaten vegetables, never liked them, and the taste of most "healthy" foods makes you want to hurl?
    Who is healthier a person who eats "healthy" and weighs 700lbs or a person at a healthy weight who eats junk food? Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, risk for cardiovascular risk factors are all weight related. Get down on weight you improve all theses.

So focus on calories, eat what you want and stay under your calories. It's simple.
    to be fair, you'll be hard pressed to find a eater of truly healthy foods in the obese range of weight. I
    I would try incorporating health foods you DO like into your diet, and not stress too much about the unhealthy. As time goes on, just keep trying things, and adding things to your diet. It'll happen.
  • lisa9803
    Options
    Who is healthier a person who eats "healthy" and weighs 700lbs or a person at a healthy weight who eats junk food? Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, risk for cardiovascular risk factors are all weight related. Get down on weight you improve all theses.

So focus on calories, eat what you want and stay under your calories. It's simple.

-
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    First of all, choose what changes matter to you. Read lots, and don't believe everything you read. There are so many different opinions on what constitutes a "healthy" diet, you couldn't possibly follow them all. Some people choose extremely restrictive diets, and some choose to disregard nutrition altogether. Most fall somewhere in between, and there's no one "right" way.

Once you know what changes you want to make, take baby steps. It doesn't have to happen overnight. Make small changes that you can sustain, and as you start to form habits. make more changes. With vegetables, one thing that has helped me is eating more home-made soups. You could also try incorporating them into smoothies. Or, if you are used to only eating them boiled to death, try them raw, or cooked a different way, roasted for example.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ok there some very good answers there. Now for the first time since I've been on MFP. I am going to sound a little harsh :angry: here...First of all grow up.. looking at your profile you are all grown up. You say you have never eaten Vegetables. and healthy food makes you want to "hurl" what have you been living off of for 41 years??? . :noway: You don't have an open diary, so no one can really look at it and come up with ideas with you. Really You just need to take the plunge & did in. Your first sentence started me on my little tirade here. Yes we do turn to healthy eating. Eating the way we should have been all a long. & no not "most of us to extreme"'Good Luck on your "journey"
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Get over it. I grew up hating vegetables too, but now they are a staple in my fridge. Pick a few that you can tolerate, I don't eat all veggies, but I eat tons of broccoli and spinach, frozen and fresh. Add veggies to other things, such as stir fry. I hate cabbage and bean sprouts, would not eat these separately, but love them in a Pad Thai recipe.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think it's just an issue of preparation. As other people have said, hide them in other things.

I love mac n cheese with bacon. I don't have a problem putting some spinach in there too.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm sorry for my little rant at you.:ohwell: You are just starting like me (last week) I should be just reading and learning as in I should sit down & shut up.So I think thats What I will do. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It helps to understand what healthy food really is. Low fat, low calorie, especially processed, is not healthy and it tastes like crap. I eat a variety of vegetables, as a side dish, to my healthy animal proteins and fat. I don't ever eat vegetables without adding fat, with focus on only certain kinds (canola and soy are not healthy, no matter how much food corps want to make us believe it) . The reason it's easy to crave high sugar processed foods, with or without lots of highly refined plant oils, is because most of us are not eating healthy, nutrient dense food. Yup, it's that simple.

Yes, food should taste good! And truly healthy food DOES taste good. But I'm never, ever, chowing down on celery sticks in the effort to avoid fat and calories. Just silly.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My rules:
    1. food should be tasty and satisfying
    2. I feel better when I get proper nutrition

There is a lot of leeway with this. I experiment with every possible spice that sounds interesting. I try food from all over. There are tasty (and easy recipes) in every cuisine.

I aim to have veggies for every lunch and dinner.

I like stuff that is minimally processed. This doesn't mean I never have fast food or chips or whatever. I just try to make better choices: better ingredients, and less processed.

I agree with everyone. Try new ways to cook things. There are many veggies I didn't like until I tried them roasted (roasted brussel sprouts with bacon is downright amazing!)

Try new seasonings. I like almost all green veggies with chili flakes and acid in the form of vinegar, lime juice or lemon juice.

Don't forget, you can still use oil! And spices. I add around a teaspoon of oil to every veggie I eat. Greens taste better with some olive oil. Other veggies taste better with a bit of oil. 40 calories well spent in my book. Don't be afraid to try new things!