Melting the belly fat?

Options
This might be a stupid question to some but here goes, what exercise should I be doing to get rid of the fat on my stomach. If I do crunches or abs muscle building exercise wont I just be adding muscle to the fat?

Replies

• CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat.
    A calorie deficit will burn fat all over, though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    This might be a stupid question to some but here goes, what exercise should I be doing to get rid of the fat on my stomach. If I do crunches or abs muscle building exercise wont I just be adding muscle to the fat?
    Putting the fork down is the best exercise.:laugh:

All kidding aside, fat loss from the abs come from calorie deficit and depending on your genetics may take some time since it's one of the last places to go.
    You CANNOT spot exercise any part of the body to reduce fat from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce hun. You have to drop body fat which means eating at a deficit to lose weight. It's the only way. Remember that stomach fat is literally the LAST place you lose the weight...I've learned that the hard way!
  • DebraDawnSahli
    DebraDawnSahli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So its true? If I am crunching I will be making the stomach bigger by adding muscle to it?
  • babyglock1
    Options
    If I undetstood your question you are concerned that it will only make your stomach bigger by adding the muscle on top of the fat. You can't spot reduce fat, however the crunches can't do anything but help you. Lean muscle burns more calories, however you need to do more than just crunches. Maybe go for a walk in the afternoon and try to eat healthy - one step at a time if you need to.
  • DebraDawnSahli
    DebraDawnSahli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone