egg whites/yolks

Options
I've heard so many conflicting things about eggs!

Some people say only eat the whites. Some people say a lot of the nutrition is in the yolks so whole eggs are better!

What's the truth?

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. Try to get pastured eggs.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    Whole eggs are awesome! The only reason I would eat say 2 whole eggs and 2 whites is because the yolks are high in calories and I have no room for them.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i prefer the taste of the white and i'm usually more in need of protein than fat. if i have hardboiled eggs, i'll eat the whole thing. if i'm scrambling them myself, i usually do 1-3 whites plus one whole egg.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    non-caged, organic eggs rule.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    FREE RANGE / ORGANIC EGGS

FREE RANGE/ ORGANIC EGGS

FREE RANGE/ ORGANIC EGGS

The whole egg, waste not want not :wink: Eggs raise good cholesterol in the body. Many studies to back this up online! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...eggs!
  • Starleng
    Starleng Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I prefer the yolks, but generally can't afford the calories.
    You can buy the whites alone in bottles/cartons.
    Depends what I'm looking to do and what calories I've got left.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are low in calories and almost pure protein. They're not much else, though. If your primary concern is calories, egg whites are an easy and relatively cheap way to get protein without fat or carbs.

Egg yolks have fat and cholesterol, but they are also powerhouses of nutrition, full of important minerals and vitamins. Some people love them, others don't like the taste (I'm one of them, especially hard-boiled, but I can handle scrambled fine!)

One whole large egg is around 70 calories (give or take), which is still a relatively low-calorie food for the density of nutrition.

Depending on your individual needs, you can decide what's best for you. People who are watching their cholesterol may want to avoid the yolks, or go with a low-cholesterol whole egg substitute. But some people have naturally low levels of cholesterol and whole eggs aren't really going to make a negative difference. If you do eat whole eggs, try to buy eggs from chickens that are fed a healthy diet and are allowed to run around. The yolks will typically be a dark orangey-yellow, indicating the presence of vitamins like Vitamin A that factory-farm chickens may lack. But this isn't always available depending on your location, so at the end of the day you do what's best for you.

Well that is a lot to write about eggs! I love 'em, happy eating!
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also, like many posters said, you can mix n' match like 2 egg whites + 1 whole egg. If you have a dog, an occasional egg yolk is also a healthy treat for them! Its good for a shiny coat and healthy eyes, and they LOVE IT! Mine goes nuts every time I crack an egg... she's always hoping for a yolk. :laugh:
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    awesome, great replies so far! I am not trying to lose weight (I am underweight, have a bit of fat to lose but hopefully no net lbs)... but gain muscle and improve my nutrition. I don't really enjoy eating egg yolks but I will if it's better for me.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    i prefer the taste of the white and i'm usually more in need of protein than fat

The protein in the yolk is about the same as the protein in the white (3grms each)
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    From Dr. Ann Louise (annlouise.com) :Eggs (yolks) are the highest dietary source of several sulfer-based amino acid, including taurine, cysteine, and methonine. These are needed by the liver to regulate bile production. This nutrient-rich food is also a superb source of phosphatidylcholine, a nutrient needed for overall liver health and to make lecithin, which helps prevent cholesterol oxidation heart disease, TAKE NOTE: enjoy up to 2 whole eggs per day, 1 if you consume other high cholesterol foods.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you have a dog, an occasional egg yolk is also a healthy treat for them!
    I give my dogs the egg yolks too :P
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many conflicting things about eggs!

Some people say only eat the whites. Some people say a lot of the nutrition is in the yolks so whole eggs are better!

What's the truth?

Depends what you are trying to achieve: egg whites are little more than protein and water, so good for those trying to boost this without adding any fat (hardcore dieters, bodybuilders cutting, those with hypercholesterolaemia) but don't contain many vitamins and minerals. If your goal is more to eat nutritious foods, including some protein and fat, you'd be best choosing the more nutritious whole egg, preferably an omega-enriched brand. Personally I think egg whites are totally tasteless and I lean towards wholefoods, but that is not to say someone else's approach is wrong if they are confident of getting nutrients elsewhere in their diet.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/112/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add to the nutritional information already given. But...

If you're looking save some calories and decide whites are the way to go but find them to be bland (I agree) try one whole egg plus three whites. It gives it some more flavor but is calorically nicer.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i prefer the taste of the white and i'm usually more in need of protein than fat

The protein in the yolk is about the same as the protein in the white (3grms each)
    i still prefer the taste of the white and don't need to consume any more fat than i already do. if you have some magical tool that sucks out the 7g of fat but lets me keep the 3g extra of protein, you let me know.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg and am not too concerned on the additional fat the yolk may add. I prefer to get them off a local farm/market, but sometimes the grocery store is closer.