Recipes for whole family?

Options
fortheloveof
fortheloveof Posts: 15 Member
Hi, busy working (part-time) mum of 3 kids (5,9,11) looking for healthy meals to suit the whole family.

Is it wishful thinking that I can make meals that the whole family will eat yet not be too high in calories for me?

Trying to avoid the usual favourites like macaroni cheese, pizza and curry. I just can't face making 2 different meals every night as I usually cook from scratch.

Suggestions most welcome. Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I eat what they eat, but pair it with a big salad or with a bunch of steamed vegies. When I cook for us I use super low fat cuts of meats and fish. I try to use whole grain everything when possible and everyone else is welcome to have vegies as well.
    Tonight I am making an allrecipe version of tips over noodles. I used the healthier cream cheese, a lean and trimmed piece of roast and condensed golden mushroom soup. I then stirred in some worshestershire sauce and popped her in the oven. I will have a small amount over noodles but then add on a ton of brussel sprouts steamed in the bag and a salad of spinach. The kids will have some type of fruit, possibly mandarin oranges with theirs.
    We all drink skim milk.

If I am trying to be healthier why would I not make simple substitutions for those closest to me as well :)

My kids are almost the same age :)
    My oldest will be 11 in May, my middle son will be 9 in October and my youngest son will be 5 in March (and we are TTC) :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Last night we had polenta nachos.

I sliced a tube of polenta (this would work even better if you made your own) and topped it with fat free refried beans, chunky salsa, browned lean ground turkey seasoned with hot sauce, cumin and paprika, and shredded cheddar cheese. I baked it at 425 for about 20 minutes because I was roasting cauliflower at the same time. I usually just put it under the broiler. You can't eat it with you fingers, but otherwise it was perfect.
  • BeckyBaine
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has some great recipes. I recenly made their chicken parm and everyone loved it, adults and kids alike! My step-sons really like tilapia fillets, and they're only 100 calories each. If we make chicken breasts or pork, I'll cook mine without sauce, and their with sauce. I'll have a sweet potato instead of a white potato. If the rest of the family is having pasta, I'll just heat myself up a lean cuisine or smart ones frozen entree.
  • fortheloveof
    fortheloveof Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some great ideas!

wlkumpf - I already use whole wholewheat pasta, brown rice/bread etc which the kids actually prefer - bonus! Your dinner tonight sounds yum, Funny that our families have the same age gaps! Good luck with no 4 (rather you than me!)!

Polenta nachos sound delish and will def look at skinnytaste. :wink:
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    have you tried cauliflower pizza yet? I heard it is horrible for leftovers but even kids like it on the first day.
    I can't wait but need to be more brave and build up to it.

I think homeade pizza, if you substitute half wheat vs white flour and spread thin with tons of sauce and vegies and minimal cheese can be healthy and our whole family thinks it is the greatest ever!
    My kids think white bread is the wierdest thing ever :)

We do a homemade "chicken bacon ranch" and while the kids won't eat my precooked turkey bacon, it microwaves in 5 seconds, so I bake up some chicken breast, stack on some bacon and cheese for them and some lite ranch (I use the sarah lee low cal buns for me) and everyone is in heaven! I like it with tomatoes and spinach too.

Try tortilla roll ups instead of sandwiches, with home made basil pesto it is so delicious with turkey and lite swiss!

I will make fajitas a lot and load mine up with the peppers onions and spinach and salsa while the kids and my husband have more of the meat and cheese. We only get the lite or free sour cream so sometimes I will have a dollop. I usually have refried beans and some rice too.
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I make pasta for the family.....I steam broccoli and put whatever they are putting on pasta on my broccoli or spag squash

I make tacos for them and a taco salad for myself

I make pizza for them but use a portabella mushroom cap for my crust
  • Aturn014
    Aturn014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey in recipes that call for hamburger is an easy way to hide some healthy food. Sadly most healthy recipes are not appreciated by my 8 and 10year old. Dinner is usually a protien, veggie and carb and I don't eat the carbs when I'm being "good". When I'm not good, I'm the human garbage disposal for all the leftovers, especially the carbs!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I use Jenni-O EXTRA LEAN ground turkey breast for meatballs. I season them with onion/garlic salt and ground pepper and cook with onions and green peppers. Then when meatballs are cooked thoroughly i add a can of diced italian style tomatoes and cook for 20 min on medium low. you can buy the low sodium tomatoes if the salt is an issue for you and your family. Also you may have to use more than one can depending on the amount of meatballs and how many people you are feeding.

This is what we use very often as our 'spaghetti sauce' versus canned/jarred sauce or even home made sauce which really does add up in calories.

I use wheat pasta (any style) and add the sauce and meatballs to each persons desire on their plate and then sprinkle some reduced fat parmesan cheese over top and voila you have low fat and healthy spaghetti and meatballs (kind of, lol).
    you can also add things that you guys like, such as broccoli or peas and carrots! it all goes well together!

It does take adjustment to many families but my family is use to simple, easy, and healthy recipes so they eat this kind of stuff.

Also when i make grilled cheeses for the kids i use whole wheat or whole grain breads, low fat 2% milk cheese slices and spray butter instead of butter to grill them. The spray butter that is my favorite is from Smart Balance. It doesnt have a salty taste. none are truly salty but this one seems to have less of a salty taste. This is a great way to make you a grilled cheese also if you love having them especially with some tomato soup!!!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I made amazing meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato or mashed cauliflower topping! If interested let me know!!
  • Vicki66C
    Vicki66C Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato topping sounds delicious. Please share the recipe if you don't mind :smile:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole demonizing carbs thing.. Carbs are yummy..

My son loves my spaghetti - whole wheat pasta, (your preferred) pasta sauce, and 93% lean hburger browned with lots of seasoning (yummy garlic <3 ) Add a salad to that with a sprinkling of shredded cheese. You could even add a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies to heat it up a bit.

Make chicken parm with healthier substitutes, like WW pasta, reduced fat cheese, reduced sodium sauce.. w/e

Im planning a crock pot pork roast tomorrow. The sodium will be Oo La La but the flavor will be perfect, and that with the potatoes, veggies, (and optional salad depending on my mood) the calorie count will be reasonable.

In all honesty, any meal can be healthier, just find substitutes that work and make sure you are using accurate serving portions. If you take an 8 slice cheese cake recipe and turn it into a 10 serving dessert, you shaved calories and still get what you want :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole demonizing carbs thing.. Carbs are yummy..

My son loves my spaghetti - whole wheat pasta, (your preferred) pasta sauce, and 93% lean hburger browned with lots of seasoning (yummy garlic <3 ) Add a salad to that with a sprinkling of shredded cheese. You could even add a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies to heat it up a bit.

Make chicken parm with healthier substitutes, like WW pasta, reduced fat cheese, reduced sodium sauce.. w/e

Im planning a crock pot pork roast tomorrow. The sodium will be Oo La La but the flavor will be perfect, and that with the potatoes, veggies, (and optional salad depending on my mood) the calorie count will be reasonable.

In all honesty, any meal can be healthier, just find substitutes that work and make sure you are using accurate serving portions. If you take an 8 slice cheese cake recipe and turn it into a 10 serving dessert, you shaved calories and still get what you want :)

My family and i are a 'for carbs' family! we love them, we just stick to the healthy ones........except on our 'we dont give a damn so lets cheat' days! lol
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've found that you can usually eat the recipes you already make, just in smaller portions. When I ran the numbers for some of my favorites, like my two different chilies, I found that one bowl was generally around 275 calories. So I would posit that you can still totally cook what you have been if you learn to portion it correctly for yourself.

(On the other hand my macaroni recipe is a hefty 800 calories, so I had to cut that one out, unless I need to make up a large amount of calories fairly quickly.)
  • cindywilkins5
    cindywilkins5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently found www.skinnytaste.com and have used several recipes that were really delicious. The nutritional values seem to be within my guidelines, and so far, we all love what we have eaten!
  • junip1977
    junip1977 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    have you tried cauliflower pizza yet? I heard it is horrible for leftovers but even kids like it on the first day.
    I can't wait but need to be more brave and build up to it.

I think homeade pizza, if you substitute half wheat vs white flour and spread thin with tons of sauce and vegies and minimal cheese can be healthy and our whole family thinks it is the greatest ever!
    My kids think white bread is the wierdest thing ever :)

We do a homemade "chicken bacon ranch" and while the kids won't eat my precooked turkey bacon, it microwaves in 5 seconds, so I bake up some chicken breast, stack on some bacon and cheese for them and some lite ranch (I use the sarah lee low cal buns for me) and everyone is in heaven! I like it with tomatoes and spinach too.

Try tortilla roll ups instead of sandwiches, with home made basil pesto it is so delicious with turkey and lite swiss!

I will make fajitas a lot and load mine up with the peppers onions and spinach and salsa while the kids and my husband have more of the meat and cheese. We only get the lite or free sour cream so sometimes I will have a dollop. I usually have refried beans and some rice too.

The cauliflower pizza is good, but be prepared, it doesn't crisp up nice. It tends to leave you with a soggy crust but if oyu can get past that, the tase it great and we had the kids fooled!! Of course, you are right it does not heat up nice the next day!!