Hey all you KIWIS/AUSSIES (scales q)

Options
I need a reliable set of scales. I have a set at home (weight watchers ones) and they're BOLLOCKS! I'll stand on them...weigh an amount then stand on them immediately afterwards and weigh 5kg more. I dont trust them lol. What scales or brands do you recommend?

Replies

• jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    get an analog scale, one that you can tare. i have one and i usually step on and off a couple times, making sure it's tare each time i get off, before i accept the number. besides, you don't really need to know how much you weigh to the tenth unless you're figuring out how much water/poop you're losing.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am actually using scales from Kmart (cost $20). I thought they wouldn't last more than a month, but 3 years later they are still working well and show the same weight, even when I try a few times in a row. :) I have had more expensive, fancier brand ones, but these have been the best so far.

http://shop.kmart.com.au/product/homemaker-glass-digital-bathroom-scale/114118
  • bub_snig
    Options
    I am actually using scales from Kmart (cost $20). I thought they wouldn't last more than a month, but 3 years later they are still working well and show the same weight, even when I try a few times in a row. :) I have had more expensive, fancier brand ones, but these have been the best so far.

Me too
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have some Salter scales I got on GrabOne but since I moved house they are really erratic - my weight shows about 3kg heavier than at the last house and the weight swings all over the place on the same day - it has been a hot summer and I have been retaining a lot of water
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It makes me wary of all scales and now as a result I dont believe my weight loss (which is stupid lol). I'll definitely look at these Kmart ones!

I had a look at Salter but am scared of spending money on something that could be unreliable. These WW ones were NOT cheap lol
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I upgraded to the Withings wifi scales and absolutely love them.
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    I upgraded to the Withings wifi scales and absolutely love them.

And they're accurate and consistant? I was looking at them too
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use Tanita scales, they are really good. I get a variance of 100g but I think that's acceptable.
  • kissmevodka
    kissmevodka Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I need a reliable set of scales. I have a set at home (weight watchers ones) and they're BOLLOCKS! I'll stand on them...weigh an amount then stand on them immediately afterwards and weigh 5kg more. I dont trust them lol. What scales or brands do you recommend?

OMG! I was thinking of posting the same thing this morning! I have the WW scales and don't trust the damn things. I can fluctuate 6kg every time I use them.
    That confirms my thoughts and I think I'll head out today for some new ones! Crazy a** piece of lying equipment!
    (There, that told it!!) ;)
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have been using digital scales but Ive decided to buy ones the Doctors practice use. Good old fashioned analog
  • yobeme
    yobeme Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Me too

Me three..had them 4 years and working fine
  • SHillier1983
    SHillier1983 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Me too

Me three..had them 4 years and working fine

Me four :-) Kmart rocks!
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Me too

Same here! Works better than my $80 one :/
  • georgie_lou
    Options
    I cant buy them....WAAAAAAH!!!! They don't ship to NZ and I cant find them anywhere here!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I got mine using FlyBuys points :) They are Salter brand and work fantastically!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Terrallion (spelling might be a bit off) are really good. Briscoes do them and they have a special at the mo. have a look at their website.
  • kjmissy307
    kjmissy307 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Weightwatchers Scales & think they are fantastic.

Why? Because you can set up to 4 people's weight / height / age as different Users and they give you the total weight loss/gain, body fat %, goal weight etc.

I have always found that they are spot on & my hubby did too (he lost 20kgs last year on MFP & using these scales)

Definitely a worthwhile investment - I think maybe $60 - $80.. I can't remember exactly but have never had a problem with them at all :)
  • travellingmama
    travellingmama Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I second the Tanita. GrabOne had a deal with NZ Muscle back in September, so bought a scale through them. I have found the scale to be consistent and I love knowing my body fat. This is the one I purchased:

http://www.nzmuscle.co.nz/shop/Shop+by+Category/Clothing++Accessories/Scales/Tanita+UM-073-2.html
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've had some digital salter bathroom scales that I got half price either at Briscoes or Farmers for around $30. They take a 9 volt battery which I have replaced probably twice in the past 5 years. I find they are fairly consistent (even though I stepped on them 3 times this morning begging them just to go down 200gm - but alas they did not).

In saying that, my friend has a fancy set of Tanita body fat scales that estimate your BMR etc that you can store up to four peoples stats on (height, sex and age) as well as adding "guests" which I ask to borrow once a month to check my body fat. She did pay over a hundred dollars for them though, but she has had them for years and they keep on trucking! Having my body fat tested with calipers at the gym usually shows about 3 or 4% more than the fancy scales. I just use them as benchmarking/comparison - I trust them well enough.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Kmart here. They are great!