Sleep versus Exercise

Options
Hi all!

I wonder if anyone can help. I seem to always be crazy at work, leaving the house at 8am and arriving home around midnight (about 15 hour days with an hour commute each way). I only have 8 hours at home, about 6-7 hours max for sleeping.

The question that I have is, I never know whether to just get 5 hours of sleep and get up and do a workout, or take that extra hour of sleep. Working out reduces stress and helps me focus and feel better, but I am so exhausted I literally weep when I think about losing an hour of sleep.

I know the answer is work less (I'm doing my best to work on that) but what would you do?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Juggernoobs
    Options
    If you are currently sleep straight through until the last minute you need to get up then take the sleep, forget the workout, if you naturally wake up, get up and go out.

Sleep is so important though.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    15 hour days - I'd be looking for a new job ;)

My rule of thumb is I need to have 8 hours of sleep ideally - but at least 6-7. I am a morning workout person, but if I need sleep I need it. You're no good to yourself if you're overtired.

Perhaps work a little exercise into your day if you can - walk/run at lunch or breaks, taking stairs instead of elevators, parking as far as possible away from your office etc. At least until your work day calms down, this way you get the best of all worlds.
  • ltravis66
    ltravis66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need sleep, that is when your body recovers and repairs itself. If you google sleep and exercise you will see some articles about sleeping even that extra hour will help you lose weight.
  • brookef81
    brookef81 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Sleep :)
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I wonder if anyone can help. I seem to always be crazy at work, leaving the house at 8am and arriving home around midnight (about 15 hour days with an hour commute each way). I only have 8 hours at home, about 6-7 hours max for sleeping.

The question that I have is, I never know whether to just get 5 hours of sleep and get up and do a workout, or take that extra hour of sleep. Working out reduces stress and helps me focus and feel better, but I am so exhausted I literally weep when I think about losing an hour of sleep.

I know the answer is work less (I'm doing my best to work on that) but what would you do?

Thanks for the help!

Holy moly what do you do??? 15 hour days!

I think someone said this, but maybe you can incorporate exercise during your day? Walking around, squats by the printer, dips at your desk, so you can get as much sleep as possible. There are some sites that tell you all sorts of exercises you can do at the desk.