Do you eat "clean" on your cheat day?

Options
I finally allowed myself to indulge on my "cheat day" and had a small greasy breakfast from my favorite diner. I didn't over eat at all, i had THREE plates ( frreid eggs, a slice of yummy ham, and a big plate of french toast and corned beef hash) I ate a LITTLE of everything. No syrup. I naormalkly get ill after eating even the slightest bit of "junk" but I was fine and logged my calories. I still came in under. But I'm bloated now GRRR! I was planning on having a little bit of a root beer float for my next cheat day bujt now I'm so annoyed my waist grew 1/2 an inch I don't know if I will allow myself that "cheat".
Anyways, how often do you have a "cheat" day or meal and do you eat sugar on this day? How do you indulge?
I'll have to watch how my body adjusts the rest of the week to detrermine when and what to eat my next cheat.

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set cheat day but sometimes life happens and we might end up going out for dinner or I might go out for cocktails etc.

My view is I didn't put all the weight on in a day so one naughty day won;t kill me.

I will try to limit it to no more that two cheat meals a week rather than a whole day of cheating.
  • angelz_love
    angelz_love Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I will try to limit it to no more that two cheat meals a week rather than a whole day of cheating.

hmm...I like this Idea....though it was one meal I still saw a difference. On NYE I ate a TON, and had a glass of wine and LOST inches. It wasn't bad food though.
  • bfcano
    bfcano Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree with MeeshyBW that you probably shouldn't have a whole cheat day since anyone could easily eat a whole weeks worth of calories in one day via fast food & alcoholic drinks.
    With that being said I find that one small cheat a day really helps your body not feel deprived.
    For me I often have a glass of wine or a few squares of dark chocolate.
    I personally cannot cheat on fast food at all because even when eaten in moderatation I get the bloat you're talking about below. However I suppose this is a natural deterrent that prevents me from craving this food.
    When I go out to a diner or breakfast place I try to stick with lower carb dishes because the excess of carbs is often the reason for the bloated feeling.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Cheat day? Lol j/k
    I gave myself Papa John's for my Christmas present.... And Papa John's gave me the runs... :(
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would feel pretty crappy about myself if I had a whole day of gluttony. If I know i'm going out with friends in the evening I will make sure I eat healthy in the day and then enjoy myself when I go out.

Even though I will go over my calories for the day my view is everything else is healthy so a naughty evening is okay!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I allowed Thanksgiving to be my first cheat day, and the mindset that a little cheating couldn't hurt really set me back mentally and I started gaining. So no more cheat days for me and I'm just now getting back on track.

Of course if I go over a little because of eating out once in a blue moon that's different; if it happens it happens. But something about starting the day with it in my head that I can and will go over is a bad idea for me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I cheat practically everyday then. There's always gonna be something I have then doesn't fit into "clean" eating. There really isn't a NEED to eat clean (unless you're medically forced to like Chrohn's or GERD, etc.). So many think that just eating clean will solve their weight issues, but when that craving for ice cream, cake or pizza comes...........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat what you want every day, while staying in your calorie/macro goals? Then you won't ever feel like you need a "cheat day."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a cheat day and I don't really categorize foods as good or bad. I do eat a lot more nutrient dense foods than I used to for sure...not really so much for weight loss, just better overall nutrition and trying to get as many of my micronutrients as possible through my diet...but nothing is really off limits for me so long as it fits in my macro and calorie goals.

I do occasionally go over on my calorie goals and I don't always meet my macros goals...weekends are particularly hard on my macros for some reason, but I'm usually ok on my calories. I'm just not as regimented on my protein snacks, etc on weekends and I tend to eat a few more carbs and fats. Usually when I am over on my calories, I'm still between my BMR and TDEE so no biggie. Occasionally my overage will be around maintenance, but I've only had one day since October 25th that I was over my TDEE, and that was Thanksgiving...and not by much and I still lost 1 Lb that week.
  • angelz_love
    Options
    I cheat practically everyday then. There's always gonna be something I have then doesn't fit into "clean" eating. There really isn't a NEED to eat clean (unless you're medically forced to like Chrohn's or GERD, etc.).
    IDEA Fitness member
    I was like that up unitl a month ago when the husband jumped on board my fitness kick. It's much easier to eat clean now. I just started REALLY seing and feeling results from eating 100% clean so we stuck to it. My question to you is how often do you ndulge in an ice cream or pizza? I will have 2 bites to satisfy a craving and I'm done. The last itme I ate pizza ( so very long ago) I made sure my calories didn't go over for the day.
    I've even gone to the gym at 11:30 pm because I REALLY wanted a glass of wine and didn't have enough calories!
  • angelz_love
    Options
    Why not just eat what you want every day, while staying in your calorie/macro goals? Then you won't ever feel like you need a "cheat day."

I was doing that pretty much all last year and while I lost...( 10 lbs in one year) It took so much more work. Now I am 5 days a week at the gym, running 15 miles a week and weight lifting, gaining weight but getting thinner:) And so much quicker! So I have stuck to eating clean. Since the husband is on board it's so much easier. I'm even making my own almond milk. "Processed" food is almost non existant in my house.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I cheat practically everyday then. There's always gonna be something I have then doesn't fit into "clean" eating. There really isn't a NEED to eat clean (unless you're medically forced to like Chrohn's or GERD, etc.).
    IDEA Fitness member
    I was like that up unitl a month ago when the husband jumped on board my fitness kick. It's much easier to eat clean now. I just started REALLY seing and feeling results from eating 100% clean so we stuck to it. My question to you is how often do you ndulge in an ice cream or pizza? I will have 2 bites to satisfy a craving and I'm done. The last itme I ate pizza ( so very long ago) I made sure my calories didn't go over for the day.
    I've even gone to the gym at 11:30 pm because I REALLY wanted a glass of wine and didn't have enough calories!

I eat ice cream almost daily.
    I had pizza (quite a bit of it) last night.

When I'm losing weight, I'll have pizza about once per week, maybe a bit less. I'll have ice cream about 4-5 times per week, usually 4 servings per time (roughly 360-450 calories which is just under 20% of my intake, which also happens to fall directly in line with a 20% discretionary intake).

I should note that I do this while hitting my calorie and macronutrient targets for the day and without impairing gym performance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean

Now I should say in closing: If you feel better with your current dietary philosophy, then you should stick with it. Adherence is very, very important.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    IDEA Fitness member
    I eat fast food and ice cream at least once a week. Pizza like every 3 months or so, but what I do is account for all the calories I take in. I've eaten like this for almost 30 years with no issues with health.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    That's like not inhaling....what's the point?
    :noway:
  • angelz_love
    Options

When I'm losing weight, I'll have pizza about once per week, maybe a bit less. I'll have ice cream about 4-5 times per week, usually 4 servings per time (roughly 360-450 calories which is just under 20% of my intake, which also happens to fall directly in line with a 20% discretionary intake).

I should note that I do this while hitting my calorie and macronutrient targets for the day and without impairing gym performance.

Now I should say in closing: If you feel better with your current dietary philosophy, then you should stick with it. Adherence is very, very important.
    How OLD are you!?! Sounds like my diet ten years ago!! ( I'm 32 and my stupid womens metabolism has s l o w e d down. I think it stopped working the way it did in my twenties the WEEK I turned 30. )
  • angelz_love
    Options
    That's like not inhaling....what's the point?
    :noway:
    lol, yeah ell I only drink $40 wine, I only eat really really good food...its a trade off:) worth it for me but to each their own! I used to have the same philosiphy, that I am gonna eat whatever I want and not deprive myself, but I had to make a choice, eat great and look great or eat ok and look ok. My husband is a fabulous cook and cooking with fresh ingredients, all organic, mmm mmm mmm, so worth it. I don't eat like a rabbit trust me!
  • cake21
    cake21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cheat day? Lol j/k
    I gave myself Papa John's for my Christmas present.... And Papa John's gave me the runs... :(

Cheated last night with KFC snackbox...same result!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

How OLD are you!?! Sounds like my diet ten years ago!! ( I'm 32 and my stupid womens metabolism has s l o w e d down. I think it stopped working the way it did in my twenties the WEEK I turned 30. )

Age is not relevant to how individual foods contribute to thermodynamics. But I'm 35.

You may need a lower total energy intake due to age and its effects on energy output, but that's not a matter of clean vs dirty.