Calorie counting

Options
Hi everyone!

I am new to myfitnesspal. I have done weight watchers and counted calories and all of that. I started meeting with a personal trainer 2x a week, so far its going great and I love it. I am also going to the gym 3x a week. I am use to the gym but I tend to get unmotivated and such, so no I am serious and ready for the change.

I have a question, how good are you guys in tracking your calories? I tend to get overwellmed and a little anal about it. Does it get easier as time goes on? I also see that the calories break down what your suppose to have a day as far as carb,fats, protien etc.. Is it bad if I go over one? Like I had -1 of protein. but I was still below my calories? Is it suppose to be even? Am I over thinking this? I really want this to work this time and I am trying my hardest to figure this process all out. I've only been doing this for 5 days.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Maggie

Replies

• ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over on protein and under on carbs and it seems to be working for me. I usually don't worry too much about it though...I just try to stay within my calories for the day. And it does get a little easier as time goes on. Some things I just quick add calories if it's something I eat on most days rather than put all the different parts in...it's just easier to record once I know the calories.
  • MLibby84
    Options
    thanks! ya that is my other problem is like salads there are so many different ones, I made my own today and i wasn't totally sure adding it, so I just put down everything I put in it lol.
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to the gym I assume you include some or if not light lifting, right? Usually the amount of protein needed when you lift to promote growth isn't included in MFP. So for protein its fine that I'm sure not unless you have some problems with protein. Counting calories for me now is pretty normal since I've been doing it for a while. Its good to have a background about these stuffs maybe read a an article or two about it. The only thing that's gonna give me a headache is homemade food wherein I'd have to ask my mom what she used for the recipe or something.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Use the quick tools, particularly "remember this meal". I made up a salad with everything I ever have in salads in it and called it "work salad". When I enter that I just delete the things I didn't eat that meal. It's easier and faster than adding extras.
    Also use the recipe section for food you make a lot where the ingredients don't change

Some things you can go over rather than under. I think protein and fibre are in that group.
    Remember this site measures all sugars not added sugars so when you take advise about added sugars, that will be an underestimate.

Keep the calories right and just do your best on the macros. Don't try to get it to the exact figure. You'll go crazy.
  • MLibby84
    Options