Trouble eating over 2000 calories

Options
MissTattoo
MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
MFP has me at 2250 a day to lose 1 pound a week.

It is difficult to eat 2200+ calories of clean food a day. Ever since working out at the gym I seem to just not even be hungry. I'm eating things like avocados, almonds, hummus, etc. and I seem to be bloated by 1700-1800! I'm concerned because I'm barely NETTING 1200 on work out days and I'm not starving. Is something wrong?

What are high calorie foods that I can eat to hit my totals? If I eat my exercise calories back, I'm sometimes up in the 2500+ calories! Help!

Replies

• jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try a weight gainer protein shake. I highly recommend True Mass. Tastes delicious and it's an easy 600 or so calories.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? What has your actual weight loss looked like? Maybe you could net those 1200 calories and lose 2 pounds a week and not worry too much about it?
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like JD said, try a weight gainer shake, that's one of the easiest, and cleanest ways, to get the calories you need or want if you can't make yourself eat them. Plenty of good tasting one's out there too.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    I'm losing slow. My TDEE is 3000 on work out days and BMR is 2150 I believe. Ever since I started going to the gym again, I haven't been hungry which is weird. I just don't want to mess up my metabolism by not netting 2200 everyday.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I don't know, if I were you I'd continue eating at the 1700-1800 if you feel full; as it is, 1700-1800 is a good number to be eating at for weight loss, so I'd stay that way for month & mix up cardio & strength training evenly every week (3x strength, 3x cardio). At the end of the month, then see how you look & feel!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    If those numbers are from MFP do remember they run about 200 - 300 high.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    When I tried to bulk I had that problem. Forget low fat dairy go full fat. Use oils and nuts can pack the calories in a small volume. When I am under my calories I often eat peanut butter with a spoon.

Good luck
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Eating 2000 calories is not under-eating, you'll be fine. If you are netting under 1200 then just add a calorie-dense filling snack.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :smile: play with the numbers
    remember MFP is just a :glasses: springboard it isnt :noway: going to tap into your metabolism and tell you EXACTLY what your body needs. If your full at 1500 eat 1500. if your full at 1200 tap out at 1200-if your fine at 1750 finish at 1750. There is :noway: NO reason why anyone should stuff themselves or let alone take a weight gainer* to try to lose weight:glasses: ....that makes absolutely no sense. Check out other sites:flowerforyou: , check your body fat percentage and hey even see if you can make an appt with a nutritionist:smile: or even a nutritionist in training. Dont eat till you bloat:noway: but remember nothing is exact on any site,its just a frame to work with and if some of it isnt working with your body and your physiological process then shift it. do some research, look at some groups, research
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Just increase your meal size, I guess. Don't know about you, but I can devour a plate of nachos whether it be 250g of beef or 500g.

Yu shouldn't worry all that much about eating clean, either. If you're struggling, fit something "indulgent" into your macros. Keeps you sane.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    2000 calories is not under-eating, you'll be fine. If you are netting under 1200 then just add a calorie-dense filling snack.

It's under eating if I'm burning 3000 daily. I have a BFM device that records my daily calorie burn. I've read enough on the forums to know that people screw themselves by not eating at least their BMR.

My concern is my net amount has been under 1200 (according to mfp) some days.

I am about to invest in a hrm so we'll see if mfp is grossly over estimating my workouts.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm losing slow. My TDEE is 3000 on work out days and BMR is 2150 I believe. Ever since I started going to the gym again, I haven't been hungry which is weird. I just don't want to mess up my metabolism by not netting 2200 everyday.

If you look at the foods you said you have been eating, those are mostly filling foods and tend to satiate your hunger for longer. So that could also account for you not feeling hungry.

Remember, most of the times when one starts on a healthier diet, a lot of dirty foods are cut out of the diet with much of them being simple carbs. Simple carbs particularly will give you the feeling of still being hungry. It spikes your insulin. Thus the reason drinking alcohol usually goes hand in hand with eating and also the reason why when I buy a 20 piece McNugget with large fries at McD's, I'm still hungry 30-60 minutes later. So these are all things to keep in mind.

Now, eating clean is great but if those foods tend to fill your appetite making it hard for you to eat more and obviously you don't want to go back to dirty foods and simple carbs, a weight gainer protein supplement is excellent. The one I suggested, Tru Mass, it has an excellent carbs to protein ratio and is well fortified with some vitamins and minerals plus tastes amazing, that is a great, clean, healthy way to hit your caloric requirements. Just don't use them as a meal replacement, use them as an addition to your regular meals. I would usually down one an hour or two after dinner.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    I'll start adding peanut butter to my night time snack.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    I'm . losing slow. My TDEE is 3000 on work out days and BMR is 2150 I believe. Ever since I started going to the gym again, I haven't been hungry which is weird. I just don't want to mess up my metabolism by not netting 2200 everyday.

If you look at the foods you said you have been eating, those are mostly filling foods and tend to satiate your hunger for longer. So that could also account for you not feeling hungry.

Remember, most of the times when one starts on a healthier diet, a lot of dirty foods are cut out of the diet with much of them being simple carbs. Simple carbs particularly will give you the feeling of still being hungry. It spikes your insulin. Thus the reason drinking alcohol usually goes hand in hand with eating and also the reason why when I buy a 20 piece McNugget with large fries at McD's, I'm still hungry 30-60 minutes later. So these are all things to keep in mind.

Now, eating clean is great but if those foods tend to fill your appetite making it hard for you to eat more and obviously you don't want to go back to dirty foods and simple carbs, a weight gainer protein supplement is excellent. The one I suggested, Tru Mass, it has an excellent carbs to protein ratio and is well fortified with some vitamins and minerals plus tastes amazing, that is a great, clean, healthy way to hit your caloric requirements. Just don't use them as a meal replacement, use them as an addition to your regular meals. I would usually down one an hour or two after dinner.

Thank you
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to eat over 2000 calories, try adding people who are eating around similar goals and check their diaries. You might get some good ideas. I eat 1850+exercise cals when cutting (i.e. right now) and 3500+ when bulking.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is not under-eating, you'll be fine. If you are netting under 1200 then just add a calorie-dense filling snack.

It's under eating if I'm burning 3000 daily. I have a BFM device that records my daily calorie burn. I've read enough on the forums to know that people screw themselves by not eating at least their BMR.

I am about to invest in a hrm so we'll see if mfp is grossly over estimating my workouts.

People with a lot to lose have a protection against starvation mode. You aren't going to screw up your metabolism eating 1700 calories a day. Once you get closer to goal you'll have to readjust, but for now you're fine.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    can't see your diary so hard to tell what are you eating but:
    use full fat products (low fat has added sugar for taste, full fat are better for you)
    drink full fat milk
    drink part of your calories (protein shakes, milk, juice)
    eat nuts and peanut butter
    use oil olive for salads
  • MissTattoo
    Options

People with a lot to lose have a protection against starvation mode. You aren't going to screw up your metabolism eating 1700 calories a day. Once you get closer to goal you'll have to readjust, but for now you're fine.

I heard that too. My nutritionist says to stay a 2200-2300 even on workout days and my doctor says it's okay to go between 1500-2300 since I have over 100 pounds to lose.

I guess what I'm really concerned about when eating to little is the long term effect on my body. I know women my size and they basically starved themselves at 1200 calories plus exercise and started having heart problems.

I just want to do this right you know? I'm finally in a state of mind where I'm ready for this.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Eating more in your case would be not only to protect you from starvation (which is unlikely as you have a lot of fat)
    losing faster = more loose skin (it has less time to adapt) and losing fat and LBM, not only fat (although when you are obese, it is ok to lose some LBM)

on the other hand, losing faster may motivate you, considering that you have long way to go, you might want to speed up the process.

My point is it's up to you, but I would not go as low as 1500 on the daily basis.

Eating 2200-2300 if you are ok with going slower is nice, you will be full and have some room for treats...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    a smoothie with a banana , 2 tbs peanut butter , protein powder , coconut oil and some blended oats will set u back around 1000calories . simple?