Question for the moms!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Hey ladies! Since having my 2nd child I've had a HUGE belly that I can't seem to get rid of. It "hangs" down over my pelvis and I don't know if it will go away. It is SO embarrassing and the thing I want to change the most out of my entire body. I won't even let my husband see me naked anymore because it's so embarrassing! My question is...Will this go away or at least go waaaay down when I lose weight? I'm 186lbs now and my goal is 135. I don't want to get all skinny and then still have all this belly flab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lisa

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    oops! I just realized I posted this under the success stories topic. So sorry!:blushing:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I went from 205 to currently about 158. The flab is smaller but not gone. I imagine it will continue to shrink on me but never fully go away. I think mine is simply stretched out skin..... like a deflated balloon. :frown: Sorry I can't be encouraging there.

However I would encourage you to get comfortable with your body and allow your husband to see you naked and not feel so self conscious. If you were in a tragic car accident tomorrow and disfigured, would he love you any less? (If the answer is yes, then we need to have a chat :wink:.) If the answer is no, then he loves you for who you are.... ALL of you, and you shouldn't feel ashamed. :flowerforyou:
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    HI :)

I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 16 month old and it seems that baby pouch just got bigger after the second one. Its what made me want to loose the weight in the first place. It made me feel horrible to look in the mirror and see it. I've lost 27lbs and I must say its gotten ALOT smaller. Still there of course but not nearly as bad. Its great motivation to see it start to shrink. Back in Jan when I started this I looked about 3 months pregnant. Now I just look like I still have some belly fat, but no one has mistaken me for being pregnant thankfully :)

If you need support please feel free to add me ;)
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    My stomach has looked bigger after my 2nd as well...even when I was down to 130lbs 6 months or so after having him, there was still a bit of a "pooch" there that I hadn't had after my 1st son (I weighed a lot less after him though).
    I have a good 25lbs to lose now so I'm hoping most of the stomach goes away...however if there's a slight pouch left, I'll just wear higher rise undies and bikinis:-)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have 6 kids, the last one took a real toll on my tummy...I firmed it up with weight based abdominal work, then cardio like mad to burn the fat, my diet became clean and everything melted off, you'd never know i've had even one child let alone 6...and that's a good thing.:wink:
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I just had my first baby [almost 2 years ago... ;)] and I finally finished BFing her in January [at 18mos]... I was back to my pre pg weight, BUT I still had a HUGE gut. I could fit in my pre pg clothes, but the gut HUNG over... I looked 5mos pg and would constantly get comments about being PG again. AGH!!!

Six weeks ago, I started a melt the fat off diet, I started at 24% body fat, and today I am at 17%. I am working out with a trainer and eating VERY STRICTLY 6 times a day. The fat is literally MELTING off of me. My stomach is also getting smaller, pouch included.

I never thought it would shrink and if it did, I thought it would hang more. Everything got less, and only in 6wks.

I would encourage you to loose the weight, do it, you can do it... and see where you are at once it all off. I bet you will feel better about things when it is smaller. I know I did.

Check out my food diary, you can get an idea on how to take it off.

Good luck!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My youngest child is 16 and I still have that fat pouch under my belly button. I've lost 40 pounds but it wont seem to disappear.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It took about a yr, but mine is gone. I have 2 kids. A 3 yr old and a 15 month old. I even had an umbilical hernia and had surgery. I think it's possible to lose it all, you just have to really stick to your calories, exercise hard and incorporate weight training. I have to say, running has helped a ton!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It took about a yr, but mine is gone. I have 2 kids. A 3 yr old and a 15 month old. I even had an umbilical hernia and had surgery. I think it's possible to lose it all, you just have to really stick to your calories, exercise hard and incorporate weight training. I have to say, running has helped a ton!

Running is fantastic ab work, especially if you add speed intervals. The faster you run the more you engage your abs.
  • cpatt
    cpatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple ways to help "hide" the pouch:
    1) Don't lose the weight too quickly, lose is smartly (proper exercise and nutrition), exercise should include a combination of cardio and resistance training so that you have muscle working for you
    2) Hydrate inside and out (lots and lots of water and lots and lots of lotion or cream) to keep your skin flexible
    3) As mentioned above in another post, focused ab work will finish the job

I have lost 35lbs and still have 65 to go, but these things have drastically reduced my "hanging" belly from my 3 kids.

Cassie
  • Taliko
    Taliko Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weights. I haven't lost that much weight but there has been a huge change in my tummy.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if there were a definite answer to this question for all of us moms out there. It would make it so much simpler!

Several factors are going to play in - the most important being the elasticity of your skin and whether or not your abdominal muscles were damaged during pregnancy.

While diet and exercise are very important, if you have little or no elasticity left in that area of your skin, you may lose the fat but the skin will remain and (as someone else put it so eloquently :wink: ) will look like a deflated balloon. However, some women are lucky and have good genes that allow their skin to just snap back after having been stretched.

Also, if your abdominal muscles were weakend and pulled apart during pregnancy, you may a very difficult time getting them to tighten up again no matter how many crunches you do.

I have had three within a four year span. I can tell my skin isn't ever going to go back (short of a tummy tuck) no matter how much weight I lose. And while it is disappointing, I don't let it define me as being attractive or not - that's all about confidence. I don't hide my body from my husband (although at times I would like to) and I think that instantly makes me more attractive to him. He doesn't complain - and if I ever do he reminds me that I did indeed have three kids and that is something to be proud of more so than having a hot body.

I have found that by focusing on using diet and exercise as a means for being healthy and energized in turn leaves me with more confidence. It's too stressful and sets me up for failure to rely on it solely for reshaping my body.

Good luck to you!
  • cpatt
    cpatt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bravo dinosgirl!!! I couldn't agree more :smooched:
  • mpavloff
    mpavloff Posts: 1
    Options
    I think most women post pregnancy feel this way. My 3rd child is 13 years old and I have lost my little pouch. I did have a c-section though and I think that makes it worse. I look at my body now and then look at my children. No matter what I had to sacrifice, I'm okay with, not that I'm happy with having extra skin but like the other ladies said it doesnt define me. I'm happy to be a mom & my hubby is proud of me & his kids.
    A suggestion though is some weight training. As you tone up all your muscles, you will lose body fat % and you will see changes all over your body. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged, remember the ultimate goal is healthy bodies, long lives, & happy minds.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I have the same problem. I hear that it will not go away but it will get smaller. I guess I'll see after I have lost more weight.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Running is fantastic ab work, especially if you add speed intervals. The faster you run the more you engage your abs.

I run for distance and add speed intervals as well as hills. It really has made a difference in the shape of my body! That plus weight training and eating healthy has made that baby belly completely disappear. I thought I'd have it forever!

I do have an issue with my abs still being separated. There is a gap between them. The hernia didn't help matters. But, you can't tell visually. So, it's ok. I'm not going to have surgery to fix that, although I had surgery to fix the hernia of course.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I actually read a great article recently. Unfortunately I can not remember how I came acrossed it. But it had good news. I have had 2 c-sections and my stomach was huge and hanging. I have already noticed some improvements since I started losing weight and working out . Now when I lay on my side my stomach doesn't slide over onto the bed. But the article was a great motivator, because it said surgery is not necessary to have your stomach trim. According to the article most people don't give their bodies enough time to catch up to their weight loss. And ir also pointed out that belly fat is one of the last areas to completely go away. So be patient and allow yourself to be proud of the changes in your body as they happen. A trim belly can be in all of our futures!!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!