Uh oh- favorite meal tonight. I don't want to gorge!

Options
Since joining here I've noticed that my biggest problem is that during the day I do fine, but when it comes to dinner, I go overboard. Tonight we're having my favorite meal, scalloped potatoes. I'm really hungry right now.. what can I do to stop myself from inhaling all those starchy potatoes?? Any advice for a healthier side dish I could fill up on?

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Since joining here I've noticed that my biggest problem is that during the day I do fine, but when it comes to dinner, I go overboard. Tonight we're having my favorite meal, scalloped potatoes. I'm really hungry right now.. what can I do to stop myself from inhaling all those starchy potatoes?? Any advice for a healthier side dish I could fill up on?

Big glass of water and veggies..or a salad to take the edge off the hunger. When you serve yourself, make it a small portion and don't go back for seconds.
  • kristelagarcia
    kristelagarcia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Word for Word what I was going to say! Drink Tons of water before hand, even if you "stuff" yourself with potatoes, you wouldn't have eaten as much

Ditto on the veggies and salad.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Steam some veggies and mix them right in the with the potatoes, then you feel like you're getting an even bigger portion of the creamy goodness! :smile:
  • GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    Steam some veggies and mix them right in the with the potatoes, then you feel like you're getting an even bigger portion of the creamy goodness! :smile:

Wow! That's a fantastic idea!! Thanks for the tip! I'll be using that a lot. :)
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Make the recipe, cutting back on the fats: i.e. use skimmed milk, light-spread, reduced fat cheese (or very very little). Serve yourself a small portion and keep the rest for tomorrow. If you can't trust yourself to not go back for seconds, serve yourself then throw the rest away (yes it's a waste but sometimes this is necessary). Alternatively, if you want potato, why not just make yourself a little jacket potato? or a bit of mashed potatoes? (skimmed milk, no butter). Or like everyone else said, have salad. You could give yourself a small portion of the scalloped potatoes and then have lots of salad with it too. xxx
  • policebaby
    Options
    Eat all of your protien and vegetables first. Then only eat half of the potatoes you placed on your plate. You will thank yourself later. If you are really hungry now, try eating a small snack before you even sit down to dinner. Like a serving of low fat cottage cheese, a serving of boars head lunchmeat, etc. Or, make yourself a really big, veggie filled salad ( no cheeses or croutons), use a balsamic or light dressing, eat it all...wait 20 minutes, then eat your dinner as stated in sentence 1. Hope this helps!
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    You could also go for a walk or do some exercise to offset some of the calories.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Eat them slowly. Only put about half of what you usually put on your fork, so you take smaller bites. Put your fork down between bites. Chew slowly and concentrate on what they really taste like while you are eating them. Swallow and fully clear your mouth before you pick up your fork and take the next bite.

I learned that we tend to shovel our fav foods into our mouths and bellies. It ends up that we taste so little of each bite that we eat tons more than we should just to satisfy that craving. Now when I eat anything this slowly and mindfully, I am way more satisfied with less.
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    I agree, some veggies or salad beforehand is a great idea. You also might try eating half of the recommended portion...that way if you have to get seconds, it'll total up to 1 serving.
  • amillionmegs
    amillionmegs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank-you so much for all of your helpful ideas! I'll be sure to fill up on the health food and water before my meal or maybe even mix in the steamed veggies (what an awesome idea!). I'll eat a little less than what I normally would have and will definitely try the chewing slowly thing. I am so bad for heaving my food into my system! Afterwards I'll hit the tredmill for a bit.

I don't feel worried at all anymore!
    thank-you all so much! :)