Is this pretty normal?

Options
Doing my goal calories each day which is 1250.. feeling nauseous, fatigue and just overall crappy? I feel so hungry and been staring in my pantry looking to eat SOMETHING even if it's bread but I held back!

Replies

• Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes, but have you EXERCISED today? If so, EAT your EXERCISE calories back. Just eat something nutritious.
    If you snoop some of the more successful peoples diaries, you will see the eat a lot of calories, and exercise a lot, and still lose weight.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Not sure why your Calories are set at 1250? Have you eaten back your Exercise Calories? Fresh Vegetables, and a Big Glass of Water. Try some Fresh Vegetables and Drink some Water or Hot Tea may help with the cravings.

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are trying to change too many things at once? If you go more gradually, you are more likely to stick to it. Getting healthier shouldn't feel like torture! :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    You should probably raise your calories intake. What is your BMR and TDEE??
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting your goal calorie target from? It might be too low for you. Depending on how much you need to lose, you might have to take the step down approach. 1200 calories is what I need to keep my body from going into shock. At a weight loss class the nutrtionalist determined our caloric goals and we ranged from 1500 to over 2000 per day. The step down is starting at 1500 and as the weight comes off, stepping down a 100 calories at a time. You might need to talk to an actual nutritionalist.
  • Ready2Serve
    Ready2Serve Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There could be alot of things causing this. The first thing that comes to mind is not eatting enough calories. I agree with Snitch look around at some of the more successful folks here.
  • nancyskipton
    nancyskipton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little off is normal when you change your calorie intake and/or change the food you are eating. I am always off for the first few days. If you aren't using the food tracker here on myfitnesspal.com, I would suggest you use it and track everything you eat. I have found this helps me see where I am off balance with my food. Too much protein? Too much sugar? Not enough of something? Fiber? The tracker also helps keep me accountable (which I need!) I hope this helps. Friend me on here if you like.
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well what I have eaten today was Special K cereal, banana, apple, turkey & cheese sandwich, baby carrots, and for dinner I'm about to have wheat pasta with organic marinara sauce. So all in all it was a good day. I did check a website that showed my calorie intake for the weight I am at and how much I want to lose says I should eat anywhere from 1250 to 1300 calories a day.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Well what I have eaten today was Special K cereal, banana, apple, turkey & cheese sandwich, baby carrots, and for dinner I'm about to have wheat pasta with organic marinara sauce. So all in all it was a good day. I did check a website that showed my calorie intake for the weight I am at and how much I want to lose says I should eat anywhere from 1250 to 1300 calories a day.

You need to have more protein than that.... You haven't really gotten much.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    No it's not normal. 1200 calories is really low, you probably need more, I agree with figuring out your TDEE and BMR, and choose a calorie goal somewhere between them. It could be you need to eat more.

• mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

[/qute] You need more fiber too, also I drink alot of water when I don't want water it seems to go down easier with a straw
  • road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My cals were set at 1200 by MFP but like you, I was feeling very fatigued and hungry all the time, especially at night. I upped my cals to 1400 just yesterday and feel better already. My BMR actually says just over 1500 and I've read from some people on the boards that we shouldn't go under our BMR but I'm trying 1400 for a bit and see how that goes. I also agree that you should try to get more protein in your day. That makes a big difference. I try to get protein in every meal and snack I have.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    I would be starving if I only ate what you listed.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your eating to many carbs not enough protien
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Try oatmeal! I eat it in all kinds of forms and it keeps me full for hours. Esp love steel cut oats in crockpot with apples, raisins and cinnamon. You wake up to delicious thick porridge.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're THAT hungry, you should eat something.
  • nataliedrake3
    nataliedrake3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You may be trying to lose the weight too quickly. For good health you should be losing 1-2 pounds per week. I saw other posts about your lack of protein and I think they may be right. Your body needs the protein to function properly. Good luck, and I hope you feel back to normal soon :)
  • LaPipebomb
    LaPipebomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm echoing everyone else's sentiment here. Figure out what your BMR is, as well as add more protein to what you've listed there. Grains are great and all, but you really ought to be supplementing with more proteins as well. I would certainly not eat anything below 1600 calories, especially if you're exercising.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    No it's not normal. I used to have the bad habits of undereating some days and overeating other days and on the days I wouldn't eat much I would get dizzy, migraines, light headed, no energy, etc. (note: if you have no energy, you aren't going to excercise as much). Your calorie target might be too low. I find if I feel very hungry (not just cravings, but actual hunger), I will just EAT. I'm not saying to order a huge pizza, I'm saying a piece of fruit or another small snack, then reassess after that to see if you are still hungry. Perhaps you used more calories today than you think you did! :) I know when the calories turn RED on MFP it's discouraging, however if you are only in the red 100 or even 250 calories, you are probably doing WAY better than if you had not even tried.

Also, many people find that MFP puts calories very low compared to other calculations (I'm kinda leaning towards agreeing with this). For example MFP put my calorie target @ 1200 calories. I am 25, 5'6 in height, 165 lb starting weight (146 lb current), but I work in a restaurant in a job that requires me to be moving constantly! I sit down for maybe 25 min in the 8-9 hr shift, and MFP says I should eat 1200 calories?? Most days, that just isn't going to cut it LOL.

So do some research, and find out what other calorie calculators say you should be eating, you might be very surprised! :) MFP is great for tracking calories and excercise and getting support, just keep your health in mind and don't beat yourself up over an extra orange or something :P