Another newbie :o)

Options
Ok so here goes I am a 31 yr old female who has spent yrs being "the fat girl" .This has led me here, I have 2 beautiful children who deserve a mom they can be proud of and my husband also deserves to have a healthy wife. He likes to say I am his "big boned beauty " which to him is ok I however don't care much for the name :wink: but people who have never been fat just don't understand that. Most of all I have decided it is time for ME to do something about this i have struggled with high blood pressure and I am sure there are other things i am not aware of mostly because I don't want know. The thing is I know this time I am ready to make a lifestyle change. I have signed up here last week and just kinda poked around a bit learning a little about the things I needed to do. A few days ago I started logging food much to my surprise I actually am eating more to keep up with the calories that i need especially after i go to the gym. I think maybe just maybe cutting out my cherry cokes :happy: has helped a lot with my calorie intake. I must have drank all the calories that made me this big lol. That and portion control i didn't eat often usually once a day but trust me I stuffed my face when I got to dinner. I haven't told most people around me what I am doing because I don't want them saying negative things even behind my back. I have learned that the things you say shall come to pass! I believe that is true even with the people around you and what they say so from this day forward I GOT THIS and nothing is going to stand in my way!
All that being said I need people that can help me and hold me accountable. I am 5'7 and I weigh in at 255 lbs sigh :noway: but that is all about to change. I plan to lose at least 105 lbs. If you too are in this boat please feel free to send me a friend request because I have no clue how to do that lol.
Also any ideas on where to start at the gym because this girl has no clue so far the only thing I have touched there is a treadmill. I thought about asking some people there but then I found that I am the only fatty I have seen there and these little petite things that get on the treadmills beside me put me to shame I don't dare touch any of that other stuff for fear I wont be able to do it and don't want people looking at me like wow did she even last 5 minutes no wonder she got that big :frown:

Replies

• melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Welcome :smile: I've been on MFP for a few months now and love it. Granted I don't read a lot posts but thats ok. Like you I'm doing this journey for myself. I NEED this! I have about 60lbs to loose and then i'll go from there. I never think i'll be skinny minnie but thats ok I just want to healthy and happy. I'll send you a friend request good luck and you can do this!!!!
  • Crowdeer
    Crowdeer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just stared my fitbit zip and my fitness pal today. I have about 60 pounds to lose. Where did you get the cool MFP scale in your posts to show the amount of weight you want to lose? Good luck to you!
  • Sirref0275
    Sirref0275 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can add me Steve
  • mnwild77
    mnwild77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There is lots of good advise and supporton the site.
  • philch4v13
    philch4v13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    crowdeer I think if you go to your home page its under edit profile could be wrong but I believe thats where I did it
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Also any ideas on where to start at the gym because this girl has no clue so far the only thing I have touched there is a treadmill. I thought about asking some people there but then I found that I am the only fatty I have seen there and these little petite things that get on the treadmills beside me put me to shame I don't dare touch any of that other stuff for fear I wont be able to do it and don't want people looking at me like wow did she even last 5 minutes no wonder she got that big :frown:

From someone who's felt the same way... Forget about the minis at the gym - remember that you're doing this for YOU!!
    The person who is going to judge you for trying to improve yourself is not someone worth the thought or insecurity.

As far as what to do while at the gym, I'm a fan of intervals - both cardio and strength training.
    Cardio - warm up at a walking pace (not window shopping ;) ) and every minute increase your speed. After 5 minutes drop back down to your walking pace then wash, rinse and repeat for a total of 20 minutes. Don't forget to cool down!!
    Strength - same concept, but substitute pace for weight and minutes for sets. I suck at this so I'll do my first two or three sets (usually 10 reps) at a low weight then bump up to a higher weight for the last two or three. I usually do 5 sets. Also, alternate the days you do upper and lower body strength training.

P.S. add sent ; )
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have trainers available. The YMCA here has 6 free sessions with a trainer. Private gyms might not give you 6 free sessions but they should certainly do 1! Also trainers are not that expensive. Should be 20 to 30$ a session. Might be worth it to hire one for a few weeks so you can feel comfortable on the machines. I loved having trainers, they were very motivating and I learned alot on how to stuff. Also youtube has a zillion fitness vids. There are probably different machines posted there and how to use them correctly.

You are doing great! Keep up the good work.
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ok so here goes I am a 31 yr old female who has spent yrs being "the fat girl" .This has led me here, I have 2 beautiful children who deserve a mom they can be proud of and my husband also deserves to have a healthy wife. He likes to say I am his "big boned beauty " which to him is ok I however don't care much for the name :wink: but people who have never been fat just don't understand that. Most of all I have decided it is time for ME to do something about this i have struggled with high blood pressure and I am sure there are other things i am not aware of mostly because I don't want know. The thing is I know this time I am ready to make a lifestyle change. I have signed up here last week and just kinda poked around a bit learning a little about the things I needed to do. A few days ago I started logging food much to my surprise I actually am eating more to keep up with the calories that i need especially after i go to the gym. I think maybe just maybe cutting out my cherry cokes :happy: has helped a lot with my calorie intake. I must have drank all the calories that made me this big lol. That and portion control i didn't eat often usually once a day but trust me I stuffed my face when I got to dinner. I haven't told most people around me what I am doing because I don't want them saying negative things even behind my back. I have learned that the things you say shall come to pass! I believe that is true even with the people around you and what they say so from this day forward I GOT THIS and nothing is going to stand in my way!
    All that being said I need people that can help me and hold me accountable. I am 5'7 and I weigh in at 255 lbs sigh :noway: but that is all about to change. I plan to lose at least 105 lbs. If you too are in this boat please feel free to send me a friend request because I have no clue how to do that lol.

Never give up! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • philch4v13
    philch4v13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The gym I joined does have one free visit with a trainer I just haven't signed up for that visit yet figured I would spend a week or so going and just walking on the treadmill to build up some energy if that's possible and then let them tell me how to kick my own butt:wink:
  • shepram50
    shepram50 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    PLease by all means add me........that is my goal well round there mayb more...........I found I drank My cals as well.........Since i started I cut out reg soda I drink diet now........Sum adjusting but works. Good luck love to help how I can if any !! good luck
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I got the cool ticker from my profile page. Look for it on the right hand side of your screen. It should say add tracker or something like that :)