Low carb diet book recommendations?

Options
Right now I'm the biggest I've ever been, and I want to desperately change that.

Back in December I started a mainly protein diet (basically no bread, ever) and during the first week I lost about 5-8 pounds. By 3 weeks I had lost 18 pounds. But then I cheated one weekend eating lots pizza... now I'm almost back to my starting weight. :(

I read that happens often when you go to these types of diets, so instead I'm not completely saying no to carbs and trying just limiting them and my calories in addition to working out, but I haven't lost a single pound in these two weeks.

I don't know if I should do the all-protein diet and more careful, or if there are any books with better low carb diet books out there to read... or any reference as of to what diet to try would be great. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• christy4477
    Options
    Try the south beach diet book. The first two weeks your carb intake is very restricted. After the two weeks, u slowly start to introduce healthier carbs ( fruits, whole wheat pasta, etc) back into your diet. Good luck:)
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try the south beach diet book. The first two weeks your carb intake is very restricted. After the two weeks, u slowly start to introduce healthier carbs ( fruits, whole wheat pasta, etc) back into your diet. Good luck:)
    How much did you lose the first two weeks of the South Beach diet? I heard this is a very healthy eating plan.
  • christy4477
    Options
    I started last Thursday and am down 3 lbs. The SBD book states that u will loose 8-12 lbs the first week, but I think that depends on your starting weight too.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I had great success with Michael Thurmond 6 week body makeover, I used it for 3 months and lost at least 20 lbs. The book is 6 day body makeover, its pretty restrictive for the first week but after that you add good carbs back in. It revolves around strict portion control, having protein in every meal along with your carbs, and eating often, 6 times a day. It worked very well for me, I lost a lot of fat till I fell off the wagon. I did however, learn that I needed in general to eat more often, get more protein in my diet to avoid sugar spikes, and what portions were right for me.

I am using those principles now with MFP, adding the actual tracking of calories lets me have the things I didn't allow myself while on the 6 week diet, and seeing how exercise effects my calories lets me eat more, where on the 6 week plan I stuck to those meals and was therefore tired and worn out at times, times I now know I should have eaten more.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend The 17 Day Diet, by Dr. Mike Moreno. It takes you through 3 stages that last 17 days per stage. I did this a yr 1 1/2 yr ago and lost 30lbs. The first 17 days is a low carb, detox cleansing stage, and each stage after the first 17 days reintroduces healthy carbs slowly and add. protiens, final stage is called arrival, which is a maintenence healthy eating that you learn through the first 3 stages. Its very easy to follow, and quick reading and good reference when needing to amp up a plateau.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    All you need and it's free -- and easy to follow, there's no stages or anything like that.

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • randilious
    Options
    I had a lot of success with southbeach....Much healthier than many of the other low carb plans and easier to follow, not as carb restrictive!!!!! A pretty good plan!!!!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've also had success with South Beach but I don't consider it low carb, you are allowed plenty of "good carbs" (whole grains, veggies, low sugar fruits, low fat dairy). Even in phase one beans are encouraged. What I like best is that it kills your sweet cravings. It works by keeping your blood sugar even throughout the day, avoiding spikes and crashes which can cause cravings and hunger.