plantars fasciitis

Options
124»

Replies

• erivera358
    Options
    i got a cortisone shot last resort due to the pain daily, it has been 4 months and feel pretty good so far... i continue to walk daily and exercise/
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i was told by a friend that she walks on rocks after her run and it stops the pain of plantars fasciitis. sounds weird but she says it rocks
  • Dean513
    Dean513 Posts: 23
    Options
    Everyone has given you some good advice, especially rolling your foot on a pvc pipe or frozen half liter bottle of water. Here's a link to a video that I recommend for this terribly annoying injury.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/11/episode-77-plantar-fasciitis.html
  • ccerilli
    Options
    I have it and have been told that a sports therapist can help.... It is extremely hard to heal... I've had mine for 3 years and still suffering. I am not athletic so I would imagine that running and jogging would make it harder. Talk to your doctor for a referral to a podiatrist. Good luck!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts about good shoes; the only cure I have found is Asics brand shoes as recommended by my physician friend. I am going to look into "Superfeet" insoles someone just mentioned in another post.
  • carolg225
    Options
    Massage therapy!!!!!!!!!
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I still suffer from this. Went to the podiatrist last march, got the shots. They helped temporarily. Got the custom orthotics, and they helped immediately---to the point that after a couple weeks I stopped wearing them because I was "cured." Naturally, it came back with a vengeance. 6 months of no running, always wearing the insoles, icing and stretches, and now I'm back to running.....very slowly. I'm not a candidate for surgery, so I'm hoping weight loss helps.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this over the summer. I am also a runner and it while I was able to run through most of the pain it was definitely no fun. I used a boot while I slept, I did alot of stretching and rolling on a frozen bottle. When those things were not enough to take care of the problem I was treated by a chiropractor about five times and she talked me into getting new shoes. The combination of all of these things finally got me to the point that I was running pain free again. I did have to cut back on my mileage during the process and did more biking and swimming.

Good luck!
  • AdamFaris
    Options
    Hopefully you found a solution months ago, but I had this (undiagnosed, but I'm pretty certain this is what it was) during and after training for my first half marathon 3 years ago. I was miserable for about 3 months. Went tubing one day with my 5 year old daughter - meaning that I was crouched over her stretching my calf for minutes at a time to keep her from flying off - and realized a couple hours later it was gone.

It threatens to come back from time to time and when it does I just refocus on stretching and that seems to keep it at bay.
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've tried supportive running shoes, orthotics, stretching, rolling, but found that taping is what helped me the most.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis. Orthotics have taken care of the pain and I am back to working out normally.

I have orthotics in my slippers at home and in my running shoes for the gym. I had my foot molded and fit for orthotics. I also purchased doctor Scholl’s support insoles for my dress shoes and boots. I am never without some sort of support unless my feet are up on the couch or I am in bed!

I also have a small ball from my massage therapist that you roll the bottom of your feet on and apply pressure on the spots that are sore. After that you ice! Best way to ice is with a bottle of water frozen in the freezer and you roll your foot on it. If you are not currently icing, start this immediately. The ball rolling will help to heal your fasciitis. The orthotics will keep your feet from getting worse and provide pain relief. Massage Therapists can also assist with therapy.

Having said that, I know people who have tried everything and relief took a while. My pain stopped the day I started orthotics. You will have to try and find what is effective for you.

I hope you find relief!
  • 74kleek
    74kleek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have it and the most helpful tip given to me by my physician was "every morning before you get out of bed, dangle your feet over the side of the bed and flex and point your toes 10 to 20 times before allowing them to touch the floor". This stretching does not work immediately, it takes consistency over several weeks to feel relief. Also, check out this link to the University of Berkeley's stretching recommendations http://uhs.berkeley.edu/home/healthtopics/PDF Handouts/Plantar Fasciitis.pdf the stretch that looks like your pushing on the wall is my second favorite for relieving the tightness associated with plantar fasciitis. Hope this helps
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Mine is acting up. The treadmill seems to make it worse.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Had it - it just finally went away on its own. Actually had it in both feet and got a cortisone shot in each. My advice? Do the stretches religiously and the frozen bottle of water under the foot. And take it easy - I gave up running when I got it. Sorry, I know it sucks but that is what I had to finally do.