How do you log workout DVDs???

Options
I am new to this site and logging exercise so I have a general question. Normally I go to the gym and do either circuit training or kickboxing, but when I am not able to go I workout at home using DVDs. The two that I alternate between usually are Ripped In 30(Jillian Michaels) or Inside Out Method(Bob Harper). I use lighter weights than the video for one of them though and since it is not specifically aerobic or only strength how would you log it? Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Without a HRM the only thing you can do is log it as either Circuit Training, General or Strength Training, which ever you feel applies more to the particular DVD. Be warned these are only estimates and could be way, way off.
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    I do ripped in 30 and I just do under circuit training
  • smoblood
    smoblood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If the exercise is not in the database you can add it to the database. I do the Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD and I had to add it to the database. Hope this helps.
  • kaylene324
    kaylene324 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can create your own workout type, thats what I do for my dvds. I would title it the same as my dvd and then once you use it once it has it saved in your profile.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and add it as one of "My Exercises".
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    i am doing JM30DS. I googled JM and found out that a 150 lb person burns 156 calories in a 20 minute workout.
  • jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Here is a link I use to log Insanity DVDs.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/exercise-activity/calories-burned-conditioning-exercises

I agree though, without a HRM it is hard to be accurate but I think this should be a good estimate.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    30DS, like others have said, I log under "Circuit Training." Things like Walk Away the Pounds, though, are "Aerobics, general".
  • lacyjay1999
    lacyjay1999 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian's Ripped in 30 also.. I have a Polar FT7 hrm that I use to track my calorie burn. :)
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I was putting Ripped In 30 as circuit so that one is good to go and the other I will have to add it under my exercises after I calculate the calories with the hrm. Thanks again!
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I create the exercise on MFP under Cardiovascular Exercise and when I work out I use a HRM and note how much calories I burn and the length of the exercise and file it under "my exercise" then everytime I do that DVD I use that to log. Her is the path:
    Add>Cardiovascular>My Exercise>Create a New Exercise>Enter the minutes, Calories burned. I do this on my iPhone so not sure about the path on the computer. I hope this helps.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian's vids also. (Love them!) I create a workout under cardiovascular and log it based on what my HRM says :)
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Millzieanne
    Options
    http://www.bootsdiets.com/calories_burned/in_the_home/popular_fitness_dvds.html

has the calories burned per hour for quite a few dvds, they are based on a 65 kg (143.3 lb) person. Divide the calories into 143.3 to find the calories burned per pound and then multiply that number by your own weight.
    remember that these are based per hour.

This is a good estimation, obviously a HRM would be better.
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I count the 30 Day Shred as "Circuit Training, General. For C25K, I add up the minutes I walk (2.5 mph) and the minutes I run/jog (usually around 4mph) and log them separately.