30 Minutes of Cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just finished doing 90 min. of cardio. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects on me...only positive. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that doing any more then 30 minutes of cardio won't really do you any good. Is this true or not?

NOT
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's because in several studies, groups who did more aerobic activity did not really lose any more weight, or fat mass, than the the lesser duration group.

But that does not mean it wasn't doing any good.
  • wl4good
    wl4good Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So many variables go into when your body starts burning muscle that have nothing to do with the amount of time spent in any given cardio session. Your physical condition, whether you are operating at a caloric deficit, the nutritional make up of your diet i.e fats/carbs/protein ratios, the type of cardio you are doing as well as the intensity and the list goes on. If you enjoy doing longer sessions of cardio and you have a regular strength program in place where you use resistance 2-3 times per week, you are not going to cancel out your muscles every time you spend more than 30 minutes on the treadmill. You think athletes only do 30 min or less of cardio?
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It's true. If you exercise for longer than 30 min:

1. Your muscles will shrink.

2. You will go into starvation mode.

3. Your hair will fall out.

4. If you are a woman, your uterus will fall out.

5. If you do cardio longer than 45 minutes, you will gain weight.

Don't believe me?

071607-fat-runners.jpg

THIS person did 35 MINUTES of cardio:

I love you.
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight and I generally did 30 minutes of cardio per day. I do weight training twice per week (very reluctantly--I hate weight training).

I usually do 30 minutes and 30 seconds on the treadmill--30 seconds because that first 30 seconds I'm still going slow because the machine doesn't go full tilt right away. I normally run 6.3-6.5 miles per hour (I sweat a lot and I am tired by the end of the run, but it's not like I'm completely out of breath--I'm one of those weird people who will be noticeably lipsyncing while listening to their mp3 player). One day per week, I will do an elliptical for about 35 minutes.

On the weekend, I will do a class, but the class (which is normally an hour long) usually has a 10 minute warm-up and a 10-15 minute cool down.

I finished my first half marathon a few months and will be doing another one in May. I *hate* running outdoors unless the conditions are ideal so I am currently doing my "long" runs on the treadmill 1-2 times per month. A long run for me is hour and a half at a pace of approx. 6 miles per hour. When the weather improves, I will run more often outdoors where I will focus more on distance and less on time (so I will probably end up running longer than 1:30, but if I miraculously finish a specific distance before 1:30, I will keep running around the block until 1:30 is reached).

These longer bouts of cardio are good for endurance and probably have other health benefits, but I don't think I need it to lose weight (I've been at maintenance for almost 3 years). The idea that 30 minutes of cardio is "a nice start" confuses me. I really don't think you need to do more as long as you feel you are doing the cardio at near your effort level.