Kinda serious question... faces

Options
DamnImASexyBitch
DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
I was looking through a lot of fitness photos online and I've come to the realization that most of the women in them have old looking faces. Like their bodies are amazing, but their faces look so much older than they really are. Why? Is that something fitness related or just genetics or a combination of both? Maybe from the tanning the competitive fitness models do? Is it just that chubbier faces produce a more youthful look?

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I do think the chubby faces fill in wrinkles. My grandmother always had a youthful appearance until she lost weight. She aged about 10 years in a year and a half. Her wrinkles were much more defined and of course her skin was saggier.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Now I wonder how old I look...

* not that I'm a fitness model or anything!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options
    I haven't noticed it so much with men, but men are supposed to have a slightly "harsher" ( don't know if that's the word I want to use ) appearance vs women.
  • onceuponadream
    onceuponadream Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Thought I was the only one who noticed that. Not just with fitness models, but also with those who have lost a considerable amount of weight too... I find they look much older after. Makes sense that a chubbier face would fill in those wrinkles so I guess that's why. Hmm
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that I have cheek wrinkles when I smile now that I have lost some weight. I guess I stretched my facial skin too much when I gained weight.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs, mommy to 2, smoked and drank quite a bit.... But, I think the exercise makes me look younger. Maybe bc I haven't gone to extremes... But, I get what you're saying...especially as people age, the less fat they have, the less there is to fill out their faces.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a few more wrinkles than stay overweight. Great trade-off ;)
  • onceuponadream
    onceuponadream Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a few more wrinkles than stay overweight. Great trade-off ;)

Absolutely!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You see it more with bodybuilders than fitness models because the body composition/bf% is different. Fitness models are usually between 12 and 15 percent body fat, and builders are anywhere from 6 to 10 percent for women. All of the fat is gone from their faces, and that lifts and plumps the skin. Fitness models look better because they have more fat.
  • mredsolomon
    mredsolomon Posts: 22 Member
    Options

00sarah you look 27
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have totally noticed that too! I worry about it a lot actually. Im 29 and have over 100 pounds to lose. I wonder sometimes if Im going to put in all that hard work and just look OLD when its all said and done.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This was something I worried about when I started losing weight.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options
    You see it more with bodybuilders than fitness models because the body composition/bf% is different. Fitness models are usually between 12 and 15 percent body fat, and builders are anywhere from 6 to 10 percent for women. All of the fat is gone from their faces, and that lifts and plumps the skin. Fitness models look better because they have more fat.

I think both categories look old. Like I said their bodies are amazing. I'm totally jealous there. But their faces look gross. No jealousy there what so ever. My body fat % according to fat2fit is sitting at 30%. I'd like it to be about 20-25%. I have no intentions on going below that, and partially it's because of the face issue.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

00sarah you look 27

I was going to say more like 33-36.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, have lost over 100 pounds, and get mistaken for being in my 20s all the time now. It may just be genetics, but I think it also involves eating the right things and not starving yourself, staying hydrated, and taking care of your skin...
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You do not look 40 at all! Maybe late 20's.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    I'd like it to be about 20-25%. I have no intentions on going below that, and partially it's because of the face issue.

You would willingly be less healthy because of your perception that lower fat makes you look older? Maybe you are just making excuses for failure? Why do you care if your wrinkles are slightly more noticeable?
  • Tabi1113
    Options
    A lot of it is genetics. Another big part is how well you take care of your skin *no matter what weight your at* moisturize, sunscreen etc.. Some of it could be the photos themselves. I know people who look older in photos then they do in person.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I think 26 or 27ish
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Now yall are gonna have me looking up fitness models lol