Gym Newbie -- & I'm nervous!

Options
Hi! I'm heading out tomorrow to check out my very first gym :') Yes, I'm being one of those January Gym-ers and I don't care; I'm in college and need the good deals! Regardless, I'm so intimidated by going! Any tips or experiences to calm my nerves?! I know I shouldn't be so nervous... but maybe it's just excitement ;)

Replies

• bell223
    bell223 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could start with elliptical or walking on the treadmill. I would start off slow than work your way up. And take an ipod or a magazine while your running because it helps keep your mind distracted while your running so your not counting down how many minutes you have left or something like that.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and starting lifting weights at the gym today so imagine how I feel ;) You'll be fine. Just do it!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Usually once you join they'll set you up with an orientation. Tell the guy that you've never been to a gym before and you need help. It's their job to show you around and what not. Remember, you're there for you. You'll be great! Good luck!
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    Thanks! I love the elliptical, especially when it has a little spot I can put my Nook in and read from and kill time ;)

I want to start doing weights too... good for you!! Guess it is one of those things you just gotta dive into!
  • tonim59
    Options
    I am intimated by the gym too. When I go, I usually just walk the track or use the treadmill. The more I go the more comfortable I feel. You will do great!!!
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    Usually once you join they'll set you up with an orientation. Tell the guy that you've never been to a gym before and you need help. It's their job to show you around and what not. Remember, you're there for you. You'll be great! Good luck!

Thank you! I'll try not to be too shy! :)
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    I am intimated by the gym too. When I go, I usually just walk the track or use the treadmill. The more I go the more comfortable I feel. You will do great!!!

I figured I would, it's just getting to that comfortable point haha... thank you!!!
  • lyndyb88
    lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    best advice is don' t get in your own way by worrying what other people are doing...especially the guys (when i first started going last year i was all worried about sweating in front of hot men) trust me they are too busy watching themselves in the mirror to notice anyone else...no joke...i literally saw one guy wink at himself in the mirror and then blow himself a kiss!
  • RageKage22
    Options
    I was nervous the very first time I went, but you really don't have to be. Everyone is there for their own reason just like you're there to workout for yourself. In my experience, everyone else is too occupied with their own workout to pay attention to you. That's exactly how it should be. You can do it! I suggest just going prepared. Bring a lock for the lockers, headphones, iPod, water bottle, etc. Just act like you belong there, and you'll start to feel like you belong there (which is completely true because the gym is for anyone and everyone).
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be nervous about! You just need to work up confidence on the machines. Start off slow and work you way up! Also, do be afraid of sweating like a pig, you are there to work after all :laugh:. But you may want to see if you could get a workout buddy because that might give you more confidence or just listen to music or an audiobook.

But remember, it will be an awesome workout because you will be getting healthier. Hope I helped :flowerforyou:
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you are new, get a tour and a trainer for the first few times. The gym isn't so scary once you know your way around. there are no dumb questions when you start.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    you will only feel nervous the first couple of times you lift. after that you will walk up to the weights / machine and own it.
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better already... it's nice to know I'm not so crazy because I'm nervous! :D And I am doing the tour thing tomorrow, and I think I get someone to help me plan workouts for the first month or so (some 30-day result guarantee thing) which will definitely help!
  • CKJ118
    CKJ118 Posts: 54
    Options
    Not sure of what gyms you are going to see, but Planet Fitness is the one that I go to and the location I like best has a huge mix of people. I was very intimidated and did not even join a gym til I lost 70lbs and felt "in shape enough" to go. It also really is true that the guys that are in shape are on the weight machines and really only care to look at themselves and watch their form in the mirrors. Most people are there for the same reason and being that it is January there are plenty of newbies so alot of people are probably having the same thoughts as you. Good luck and remember that lunch hour and 5-7pm are usually very packed times and the ellipticals and treadmills are usually more crowded then....at least that is true at the gym I go to.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ignore all the cardio equipment go straight to the weights. I find that the weights area is where most people feel intimidated first and try to stay away from there. Get in there first, then go check out the cardio stuff.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    best advice is don' t get in your own way by worrying what other people are doing...especially the guys (when i first started going last year i was all worried about sweating in front of hot men) trust me they are too busy watching themselves in the mirror to notice anyone else...no joke...i literally saw one guy wink at himself in the mirror and then blow himself a kiss!

LOL that's too funny.

My best advice is go with a plan. It sets your focus and you know what you WILL accomplish while you're there. When I go with out a plan, I end up there for hours fiddling around with this and that and not getting a full work out. Have fun! (: