Sushi

Options
I have been on a sushi binge for about two months now. I didn't think I would even like it because I always thought raw fish sounded foul, no pun intended.

Does anyone have an opinion about the nutritional value about sushi? I don't know that much about it except the mercury levels are something to watch.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not getting the stuff that's deep fried (tempura) or has lots of cream cheese/mayo etc. you're doing pretty good w/sushi. If you're not preggo then Mercury shouldn't be a big issue.
  • shanehd
    shanehd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love sushi and wonder about this as well. I think the calories and carbs can add up quick because of the rice. But the fish itself seems ok. Any more info would be great.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think sushi is pretty healthy. However, not the way I eat it: I set it in my soy sauce and watch the soy sauce level go down as the rice soaks it up haha.

Sushi is the only thing that has ever made my hands and fingers visibly swell up the next day from sodium. But fish has alot of protein for its mass so that's a plus.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    Whenever I buy a spicy tuna roll at the grocery store in 12pc, it comes to around 400calories so...do the math. :-)
    Its pretty healthy. I feel full but happy knowing I didn't eat a donut or doritos or something.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Awesome nutrition! Low fat protein:)
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love sushi. I tend to eat sashimi when I get a chance. Or when it is offered with rice, I cut the rice in half before consuming. As far as nutrition I think for an animal protein consumption, this is better than red meat or pork. We still get traces of mercury from yellow fin and some other deep sea creatures. Hell, I am just mumbling - I just love sushi :)
  • zandria1
    zandria1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sushi is awesome, because it doesn't have many calories and is available at most places these days so you won't get the diet speech from those who go with you because you can actually eat something on the menu that's delicious and won't ruin your diet! Yay for sushi, nom nom nom
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sushi is aweeeesome. I love eating sashimi. I used to eat rolls, but all the rice weighs me down. I am only in it for the fish anyway, so I don't mind. It's great for protein and healthy fats! I usually eat salmon and/or unagi with a side of avocado. mmmm
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Sushi Rolls... I unfortunately also love sushi rolls that are deep fried or have tempura inside... Everything in moderation I suppose but over all it's not the worst thing someone could eat..
  • chigau_me
    Options
    We love sushi and always make them at home - this way you can control how much rice and fish you use :) i tend to put a very thin layer or rice and big chunks of fish and veggies :)
  • amzzzzz
    Options
    :happy: Hi, I've also been wondering about this, as I LOVEEEEEEEEE chicken teriyaki sushi (not fried just marinated in the teriyaki sauce) & I only use the lil sachet of soy sauce provided, can anyone give me any insight as to whether this is a good lunch option?

any advice would be muchly appreciated :)
    thaaaankyou

Amz
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ahhh sushi is sooooo incredibly, magically, nummy!! I just love it! Haha. Just wanted you all to know that =P.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am also a sushi addict although my favourite is sashimi, no soy which is really healthy.
    The best advice I have had is stick to the low sodium soy. Normal soy has sodium that will blow your socks off....check the data base.
    Drink lots of water on a sushi binge.
    You will probably see a gain for a day or so but this is mainly water gain.
    Enjoy!!!!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I live in Taiwan and eat sashimi or sushi most days, this was my lunch yesterday :happy:

734655_10151224094210488_756630106_n.jpg
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sushi I great, good carbs, low fat, high protein. Obvs as long as it's the rice, fish, seaweed type, deep fried is bad ;) also miso soup and udon noodles are lush (y)
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I live in Taiwan and eat sashimi or sushi most days, this was my lunch yesterday :happy:

734655_10151224094210488_756630106_n.jpg

That looks divine! Mmm
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

That looks divine! Mmm

It was lovely, so fresh and very cheap!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Is buying the salmon that's in the seafood counter (grocery store) safe to eat, as is? I am guessing most people fix it there way (grill it, bake it, or God forbid, fry it...) but I want to cut it up and eat it like sashimi or over sticky rice (rolls).

But I'm also afraid of getting it out of the counter (without me cooking it) and eating it straight, for fear of some raw seafood disease.

Is that how you guys prepare it at home? I've also heard real wasabi is terribly expensive. Apparently some people substitute horseradish sauce?