Support!

Options
New to this site! and thought well its a new year, and I want to start it off right by getting healthy and getting rid of some body fat!
Any one have good work out tips to stay motivated, and good diet/healthy eating meal plan?

Replies

• Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello...I think the best advice i have is just be honest with yourself. If you are using this site as intented, talk to people, add friends, wake up and say good morning and post goodnight...these people will keep you motivated...
    Good luck
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great advice, Dakryn! I echo that - with emphasis on the being honest with yourself. We are all on this site for the same reason - some of us have alot to lose, others maybe don't have as much, while others may need the accountability to maintain - but we all share the same struggle.

Add friends that have open food diaries - I get some GREAT ideas from reading what others are eating.

Have a great playlist for your work outs, and change it often. Same with your exercises - don't get stuck in a rut. Keep a balance of exercises that challenge and reward you. Look at how far you have come - not how far you have to go.

And this was a biggie for me - When I first started on this journey, I would look at the loss of 1 pound or a half pound as a failure - I wanted 2 or more pounds a week. Then one day I looked at a pound of hamburger meat. That's alot! So I started using that visual for the weight I had lost. Then I moved up to bags of dog food. I'm several years into my journey now, but I now measure it in people :-)

Best of luck - feel free to add me :-)
  • mizzmaami
    mizzmaami Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I want to lose 100 pounds atleast!
    Its just a struggle with potion size. If I love something I will keep eating until its done.
    Or binge eating when bored :( It's so hard to stop.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My advice is similar to the others posted here. For lots of different exercises and always mix it up. Do you have a Wii at home? If so, buy Zumba! No Wii? You can still buy Zumba DVDs. Are you a member of a gym? Tackle that scary room full of treadmills, ellipticals and weights! Or the walking track if they have one. Have a nice neighborhood? Have a dog? A child? Go on walks/bicycle rides with them or alone. Have a smart phone? There are SOOO MANY workout apps available. I have an andriod and I have Workout Trainer downloaded. They have so many different workouts for whether you're working out at home or at the gym. That app really makes excuses impossible!

As far as eating, at first log EVERYTHING!! Even a piece of gum if you're chewing 20 pieces a day. Log every little crumble you consume for at least a week and it will really open your eyes. Pick wholesome foods. Start at the fresh fruits and veggies first. Look at labels and see just what exactly you're eating. Also, drink lots of water! If you're craving a snack, try some water first and see if that will curb your appetitie. Also befriend people on here and look through the forums often. Those friends who have open dairies will give you a lot of insight and will also give you ideas on some things you can look into!

Welcome to the forums and feel free to add me!! :)
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    In that case, prepare your meals ahead of time. Or if you have snacks, say like animal crackers, put one portion size in a ziplock bag. Whenever you're ready for your meal or snack, grab your portioned container and only focus on that.
  • ambershaerager
    Options
    I am also new here. I hope to lose 100Lbs like you. It is my new years goal to lose 100 by next new years. We CAN do this! You can add me if you like so that we can stick together through our journey. I am making a total 180 on what I eat. I am switching to straight water, no sugary drinks. I am *possibly* getting a new job which has an onsite fitness center, so that should come in handy MAJORLY. But for now I just plan to do basic at home exercises. Good luck, and if you ever need motivation, just ask! I may not get it right away, due to being at work and caring for my 1 year old, but I will get back to you as soon as I see it!
  • vickijai
    Options
    Hey Welcome!! Yeah I joined a little while ago and I am just now venturing to the community boards because I need some support. Good luck on your journey!!
  • robin38450
    Options
    New to the club....looking to improve my health and eating habits. Im a diabetic and my situation has gotten totally out of control. I know if I dont get a handle on this it will get worse. I have fallen off the wagon, but Im gonna get back up! Just need some support....:flowerforyou:
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I want to lose 100 pounds atleast!
    Its just a struggle with potion size. If I love something I will keep eating until its done.
    Or binge eating when bored :( It's so hard to stop.
    I've only been at this for a little over a month but I know exactly what you mean by this. I encourage you to find out what the mental issues are (if you don't know already) and work on those while changing your eating. When I say mental issues I don't mean that you are crazy or bipolar or anything like that..but for those who have a lot of weight to lose and don't have a medical reason, it's usually a mental road block and issues from the past that they need to work through. WHY does food appeal to you so much besides it tasting good? I binged all the time. I ate when I was happy,l sad, mad, bored, etc. Mostly sad and bored which I was constantly feeling.

I woke up on one day and I was fed up with myself. Fed up with my blood pressure, diabetes, laziness, and excuses. It was a light bulb that went off and I was ready to do it.

The people on this site are great and I have so many good friends on my list that support me and vice versa. follow what the website gives you, if you're totally unsure of where to start, or especially if you are not consulting with a doctor/trainer. Make adjustments as needed. Do some research if you're curious, like me. It's all about what you can sustain. For me, personally, I know that it would be VERY difficult for me to completely cut out certain foods (like ice cream, or chips). So i started getting weight watchers ice cream bars and getting special k crackers or "chips" for that craving.

As far as your portion control, its hard sometimes. especially with foods you love! Start small and work your way up. I suggest getting rid of big amounts of food that tempts you and replace them with healthier options so you dont have the option to just go to the cupboard or fridge and binge. After a while you will feel better and wont want to.

I'm no expert, this is just what has been working for me and I have over 100 lbs to lose and 35 days is the longest ive EVER stuck to anything. Good luck on your journey :)