Heart Rate Monitor & Calorie Counter Recommendation?

Options
Howdy y'all! Do y'all have any recommendations on a heart rate monitor and calorie counter combo device? I have a Mio watch that I'm using now but I don't think my calorie burned count is accurate during workouts. I am thinking that a watch with the chest band might be more accurate but IDK what brand/type to get. Any recommendations???

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you do a search you will find lots of info. Polar FT4 and 7 seem very popular.
  • healthymissh
    healthymissh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    While the chest band is not that exciting, I do love my Polar heart rate monitor! I did a lot of research and decided it was the one for me. Not TOO complicated, but just enough information. Hope that helps!
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The Polar ones are not cheap, but I love having a fairly accurate count of effort. It works great as a timer between sets as well. The chest strap is crazy comfortable as well.
  • Natashia524
    Natashia524 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I've done some research but I just wanted to get info straight from the horses' mouth... The REAL truth.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7.

it tells me:
    workout time,
    calories burned
    current hr
    avg & max hr (after I stop)

nothing fancy; it does the simple things above I need it to.
    I haven't ever tried getting the data to my computer (you need to buy some accessory for that) an I don't look at the weekly summaries.

The chest transmitter also works with the treadmill, elliptical, so I don't need to look at the watch to see my hr; just need to look at the machine display
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have had a Polar FT60 for a 2+ years and it's worked well for me. If accurate calorie counting is important to you, this particular model (and I'm sure other models) have a calibration process. Initially when it calculated my calorie burn rate it was high based on the target heart rate zones it used for my age, weight and pulse. Once I manually overrode my target heart rate zones based on a much higher true max heart rate for me the calorie burn rate adjusted downward which seemed to generate a much more realistic number.