New Here, Need Support!

Options
Hey all, I'm new here and though I'm on track with my eating, I need some motivation and ideas for exercise. Should I set mini goals for myself as far as weight and/or type of exercise? Right now, I'm doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs (but feel I need something more intense as well) Today, I was in a funk because I looked at my body in a full length mirror and couldn't believe the way I look at 29! I'm 5'10 and 254lbs and boy do I feel & look it! I used to be able to hide my weight with my height but that is no longer the case (and I don't want to anymore!). I've looked at so many posts and success stories on here today but still have that "how did you let yourself get like this?" feeling towards myself.

Just need a little motivation and pumping up! Thanks

Replies

• FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi--I used to have those days a lot but that gets better as you start to lose. I set my goal weight as what I actually wanted it to be. I'm about half way to my goal and the scale seems to be stuck. It's frustrating but I keep going.

A mini goal might feel more satisfying. You can celebrate your victories along the way.

My advice is to move a little every single day. Don't sit too long. Do leg lifts or squats when you're brushing your teeth. Stand up and walk around if you're sitting at a desk too long. Go for a walk someplace where you enjoy the scenery or find a friend who will join you. This makes the process a lot easier.

Also...I used to kind of cheat on my calorie count. Do not do that to yourself. When I looked in the mirror, I knew why I wasn't losing weight. NOW I track every bite. Weigh everything. Avoid eating out unless I can find nutritional info online.

Keep going! Ask for support when you need it. We're all here for the same basic reason! :)
  • robinmoore3
    robinmoore3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too think to myself how did I get like this.. I played softball for years and trained throughout the entire year because I played throuought the summer as well. When I got injured and couldnt play anymore I quit training and quit working hard towards being healthy. I am now more than 50 lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago. It upsets me. I do a work-out based around what I love to do. I love playing sports so I will play a sport to be active for the day. I love walking and just walking is even good for you.. DANCING is my absolute favorite thing so I ZUMBA.. You want to make your workout fun.. Make it something to look forward too not something you feel as if you have to drag yourself to do it. I hope I can be some help, but remember to always keep yourself in mind when working out. Dont do something for others:happy:
  • vickijai
    Options
    Thanks so VERY much, I will take your advice and set mini goals!:smile: I guess the hardest part is we pack on the weight so easily and losing is such a journey but I know it will be worth it.
  • vickijai
    Options
    Hey Robin, thanks so much. I want to try Zumba, is it best to try a class or get the DVD? I wish you well on your journey!! Thanks for the encouragement! :smile: