Too much protein?

Options
my "daily goal" for calories is 1,410, carbs is 194 grams, fat is 47 grams, and protein only 53 grams. I am doing a meal plan that was suggested to me by a family member, and am entering in my food diary on MFP, and I am going over my "goal" of protein each day! Yesterday I was over by 25 grams, meaning I had 78 grams of protein for the day. I was also over on fat. by 14 grams. (from phyllo dough, and a not good for you greek yogurt). But on Sunday I was 49 grams over for my protein, I had a total of 110 grams of protein for the day....So I am just wondering if i should be worried about going over my "daily goal" of protein?? Will it stall weight loss?? I just started my new healthy adventure on Sunday, so when I keep seeing that I'm in the red zone, its kinda frusterating! I am getting my protein from canned tuna, ground turkey, greek yogurt, 2% milk, spinach, eggs, cottage cheese, whole wheat bread, etc.....any input appreciated!! :)

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    IMO, you cannot get too much good protein. Also, you can change your protein levels. I just was told that and I changed it because I didnt think I was getting enough of it. I think their setting is too low
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    MFP sets people way too low on protein. Only about 15%, I think. Carbs are way too high. I, and a lot of people on here, have went in and manually changed our protein goals to 30%. This is optimal and recommended by top nutritionists. Go in to My Home - Goals - Change - Custom - and set your percentages there. What's recommended is 30% protein/40% carbs/30% fat.

I've been using this and have lost 51lbs since July. Protein is GREAT for your body and muscles and it helps keep you full longer.

ETA - Definitely get the PLAIN greek yogurt and add your own fresh fruit. The other stuff is basically junk food with near 20g of sugar per serving.
  • sheriann1271
    sheriann1271 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Funny, I came on here just now to ask this same question. I have been going over my protein goal also. I don't eat red meat, it's mainly been from tuna and a little chicken. It's very easy to go over the amount. I don't understand why it is set so low. Also, if you are strength building...which is encouraged, don't you need more protien???
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    1. It is mathematically nearly impossible to hit your target exactly without going over in some macro and going under in another.
    2. If you have to choose one macro to be significantly over in, protein is the best option. Eating a diet higher in protein will help you feel fuller on fewer calories AND maintain muscle, which essential to keeping metabolism up and having better-looking results.

You can eat up to twice your MFP protein allowance before you are considered to be on a "high protein diet." If the red numbers bother you, you can manually change your MFP settings to eat a greater percentage of your calories from protein.

Edit: You'll see a lot of people here who eat 40%/30%/30%, but that's ideal for people who are trying to build muscle or otherwise do a ton of exercise. The MFP numbers are the FDA's nutritional guidelines.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Yup, go to goals, click "custom" and you'll get a nutrition list, change the carbs to 45-40% fat to 25-30%, protein to 30%. Tweak it as need it, but that ratio is what many people on here aim for. Definitely don't need 55% carbs, even though I love me some carby goodness.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Funny, I came on here just now to ask this same question. I have been going over my protein goal also. I don't eat red meat, it's mainly been from tuna and a little chicken. It's very easy to go over the amount. I don't understand why it is set so low. Also, if you are strength building...which is encouraged, don't you need more protien???

I dont know why they set it so low but i am glad i changed it just now
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I eat 30% protein, but I have found I really have to plan out my meals to eat that much protein and still stay within my calorie goal- so I think it is important to point out that 30% protein is not like Atkins where you can have a pound of bacon for dinner. It is still lean protein.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    More protein is definitely a good thing, especially if you are active since it's needed to rebuild muscle. For weight loss it's also very good as it tends to leave you feeling more filled and satisfied. Greek yogurt is great stuff. I buy a big bag of frozen berries from Costco and add to plain greek yogurt (Fage). Bring it to work for lunch; the berries slowly thaw out and keep the yogurt cool so I don't need to be concerned with refrigeration.
  • justmeeh91
    justmeeh91 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Ill go change them now! :)

The greek yogurt I had before was honey flavor zoi brand....and I didn't bother looking at the calories, and wow! 320 calories for 8oz. I went to the store right away and got nonfat PLAIN. :)

I am looking to burn fat, and become healthier. The food I am consuming now is a complete 180 from what I have been eating since forever! What would you recommend i set my percentages at? The only "processed" carb I have been having is 1 slice of whole wheat stone ground toast, or 1 serving of kashi heart to heart whole wheat crackers, (6 crackers or so).....
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    More protein is definitely a good thing, especially if you are active since it's needed to rebuild muscle. For weight loss it's also very good as it tends to leave you feeling more filled and satisfied. Greek yogurt is great stuff. I buy a big bag of frozen berries from Costco and add to plain greek yogurt (Fage). Bring it to work for lunch; the berries slowly thaw out and keep the yogurt cool so I don't need to be concerned with refrigeration.

Great idea!! I have blueberries and raspberries frozen that I picked last summer, and I have been making a smoothie for breakfast with greek yogurt, and blueberries, and 1/4 banana! It is very satisfying! :)
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    I eat 30% protein, but I have found I really have to plan out my meals to eat that much protein and still stay within my calorie goal- so I think it is important to point out that 30% protein is not like Atkins where you can have a pound of bacon for dinner. It is still lean protein.

Yes, lean protein is what I am consuming! Thanks for pointing that out :) chicken, turkey or tuna is my meat choice, and 2% milk, non-fat cottage cheese, non-fat plain greek yogurt.
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    Yup, go to goals, click "custom" and you'll get a nutrition list, change the carbs to 45-40% fat to 25-30%, protein to 30%. Tweak it as need it, but that ratio is what many people on here aim for. Definitely don't need 55% carbs, even though I love me some carby goodness.

WOW!!! 55% carbs!!! I love me some carbs too, but 55% does seem really high!!! Thanks! :)
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    1. It is mathematically nearly impossible to hit your target exactly without going over in some macro and going under in another.
    2. If you have to choose one macro to be significantly over in, protein is the best option. Eating a diet higher in protein will help you feel fuller on fewer calories AND maintain muscle, which essential to keeping metabolism up and having better-looking results.

You can eat up to twice your MFP protein allowance before you are considered to be on a "high protein diet." If the red numbers bother you, you can manually change your MFP settings to eat a greater percentage of your calories from protein.

Edit: You'll see a lot of people here who eat 40%/30%/30%, but that's ideal for people who are trying to build muscle or otherwise do a ton of exercise. The MFP numbers are the FDA's nutritional guidelines.

Thank you for re-assuring me that its fine!!!! I am going to change my settings!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    What I read was that a person should have approximately half of their weight in protein as numbers a day so since I weigh 142 now I should get about 70 grams a day. Sorry I don't remember where I saw it, but it was a reliable source.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't even really pay attention to what it says for protein lol. I always try to go to AT LEAST 90 grams of protein per day regardless of what MFP says. They set protein really low and carbs kinda high for some reason. Going over in protein isn't going to hinder your progress at all so don't worry.
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    MFP sets people way too low on protein. Only about 15%, I think. Carbs are way too high. I, and a lot of people on here, have went in and manually changed our protein goals to 30%. This is optimal and recommended by top nutritionists. Go in to My Home - Goals - Change - Custom - and set your percentages there. What's recommended is 30% protein/40% carbs/30% fat.

I've been using this and have lost 51lbs since July. Protein is GREAT for your body and muscles and it helps keep you full longer.

ETA - Definitely get the PLAIN greek yogurt and add your own fresh fruit. The other stuff is basically junk food with near 20g of sugar per serving.

Congrats on your weight loss! I am pushing to do the same! :) Feel free to add me! And yes, I had bought the honey greek yogurt, and it was 320 calories per 8oz serving, and like 28g of sugar!!! I couldnt believe it!!! Best yogurt Ive ever had, but, got rid of it right away! So now, nonfat plain greek yogurt it is!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    47 grams of protein is not too much if you are exercising. The body can digest and process about 23 grams per meal so you are good there. If you start having hair loss then I would cut down immediately.
  • the_maverik
    Options
    Ya'll began worrying me about the greek yogurt having way to much suger, so I checked the label on mine.

If you go with the 5.3 oz Light and fit greek yogurt from Dannon, it's only 80 cals, 6g Sugar, 12g Protein, and 8g Carbs. Seems like a great ratio, and the fruit is already mixed in. Both the strawberry and blueberry versions have the same stats, give or take 1g of sugar.

EDIT: And to chime in on the original thread...I try to consume 150+ g of protein a day. But then again, I also eat roughly 5-6 times a day, with one "snack" being a 30g protein bar, and my post work out shake being 30g protein whey isolate.
  • justmeeh91
    Options
    Ya'll began worrying me about the greek yogurt having way to much suger, so I checked the label on mine.

If you go with the 5.3 oz Light and fit greek yogurt from Dannon, it's only 80 cals, 6g Sugar, 12g Protein, and 8g Carbs. Seems like a great ratio, and the fruit is already mixed in. Both the strawberry and blueberry versions have the same stats, give or take 1g of sugar.

Ill have to try that kind! This week I just have the store brand (on sale :D )
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty tough to really get too much protein, although if you do take in a lot of protein, you want to make sure you drink plenty of water too since the kidneys still have to filter everything!

I seem to be holding up well so far with 2,145g consumed in the eight days of this year so far ^__^

Biggest thing I like about lots of protein.. I love to eat and I damn near always want to eat, and higher protein keeps me full for longer periods of time.