Can exercise effect my menstrual cycle?

Options
2»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, getting fitter leads to more sex which can lead to pregnancy which affects menstruation.

(lol, sorry....I don't have a real answer for you)
  • Luv3ly24
    Options
    How many calories are you netting over the course of five consecutive days?

I went through and looked at my net it averaged out to about 630. Do u want my exact figures?
    If you know your body fat percentage, I can do the math for you. A net of 630 is pretty low and may be rather close to the threshold of disruption.

Disruption? And according to my weight watchers scale it's 36.5%
  • Luv3ly24
    Options
    It definitely effected mine.. once I started exercising a lot and not eating enough it stopped for a couple of months but then it finally came back this month, after I hadn't been exercising or dieting really this past month. That's the only thing that has ever really stopped my period, I have gotten it every month for years until now! But it seems to be back to normal now.

Wow maybe that's what's going on. Thanx for sharing
  • Luv3ly24
    Options
    Yeah, getting fitter leads to more sex which can lead to pregnancy which affects menstruation.

(lol, sorry....I don't have a real answer for you)

Lol that's still a good answer!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you netting over the course of five consecutive days?

I went through and looked at my net it averaged out to about 630. Do u want my exact figures?
    If you know your body fat percentage, I can do the math for you. A net of 630 is pretty low and may be rather close to the threshold of disruption.

Disruption? And according to my weight watchers scale it's 36.5%
    Read the study I posted :smile:

I ran the math for you, and according to the numbers, if you averaged 630 calorie net over 5 consecutive days, you'd likely be crossing the threshold and disruption would occur (no period).

Total weight: 180 lbs
    Body Fat: 36.5%
    Lean Body Mass: 114 lbs (52 kg)

TDEE = 2050 (if lightly active: exercise 1 to 3 days a week) or 2300 (if moderately active: exercise 4-5 days a week)

From the research*
    15 cal x 52 kg = 779 calorie exercise deficit
    30 cal x 52 kg = 1559 calorie food intake

TDEE (2050) - 1559 = 491 calorie deficit simply from eating less

779 (exercise deficit) + 491 = 1270 calorie total deficit below predicted TDEE of light activity

2050 - 1270 = 780 net threshold

From the research*
    Women did not experience disruption at or above this estimate. If their net were somewhere below, then disruption would occur.

Thus, if your estimated threshold is 780 calories over 5 consecutive days, and you are average a net of 630 calories, you may be missing your period because of too low net calories.