High protein breakfast ideas...no eggs or milk products!

Options
ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
I'm allergic to eggs and lactose intolerant so eggs or yogurt or most protein shakes are off the table for me. I currently eat 2 tbsp of PB on toast every morning for like two years. I'd like something lower in calories and higher in protein than that as my weight is not moving and I think I have too much fat in my diet in general.

Any ideas for high protein breakfast for me? I saw my trainer eating oatmeal with protein powder in it, if I can find non-dairy protein powder. Are there such things as "fake" eggs made with something else?

Thanks!

Replies

• ouandi
    Options
    bump...hoping someone can give me some idea please!
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Quick Oats (oer 1/4 cup dry - 1 cup cooked) have about 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of fibre so good all round. Throw 10 almonds into the mix or even whey based protein powder and you can drive the protein through the roof. Get creative - a few nuts here and there help alot. Protein powder is also good in a smoothie - 1 cup fruit, 1 cup of soy milk or almond breeze and 1 scoop of protein powder (25g of protein for 125 calories)
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What about beans? I do Huevos Rancheros quite often, but there's no reason you couldn't take the eggs and cheese out (or sub with a tofu cheese). In fact, you could do them up like burritos and freeze them. Every couple of weekends, I make a slowcooker full of (not) refried beans and build them into burritos. You could do a tortilla, 1/2 cup of beans, strips of pepper, and optional veggie cheese. I make and freeze them 20 at a time (I've even made my own tortillas...they're easy and it's nice to know what's going into your food). Pop them into the microwave for 1:30, add some salsa, and you have yummy breakfast!

If you want my bean and tortilla recipes, send a message.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fish! I love a bit of smoked salmon for breakfast, but smoked trout is even better in terms of high protein, low fat.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    Quinoa as a cereal! Mix with almond/soy milk and fruit and heat.

I just tried this this morning....it is a protein powder by Vega called Choc-o-lot. I think it was 11g of protein per package. The company is owned by Brendan Brazier(?) who is a vegan triathlete. I really liked it and I am not a vegan/vegetarian.
  • leodru
    Options
    just thought of some more - nut butters .... peanut butter, almond butter. i have bread as well "One bun" from pita bread also have 5-6 grams of protein. Greek yogurt normally has 0 fat and around 6 grams of protein not sure if lactose is an issue for greek or not.... you can also get Lacteeze or similar milks....
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Quinoa as a cereal! Mix with almond/soy milk and fruit and heat.

^^^ yeah that. It is quite yummy.

You could do tofu scramble. http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/tofu-scramble.php
  • leodru
    Options
    now you got me started - Kashi cereal has around 10 grams of protein...again with milk substitute or just dry - make it into granola bars.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Poultry sausage is good and usually lean-er. There are egg substitutes.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Scrambled tofu. You can mix in a bunch of veggies or meat like chicken or turkey sausage.

You can take a boca burger, scrambled tofu, vegan cheese substitute and an english muffin to make a breakfast sandwich.

Almond or soy milk, peanut butter (or PB2), a few almonds, vegan greek yogurt, and spinach. Blend it all together with ice. It sort of tastes like a butterfinger milkshake to me and you can't taste the spinach (if you don't like spinach... I do.)

You could also get some soy protein powder, which is dairy free and put it in just about anything.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    Who makes vegan greek yogurt? Interesting!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
  • ouandi
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! I must get some non-dairy protein powder. I have some herba-life chocolate but for some reason they always put dairy in it to make the flavoring.

I need to try that boca burger too. I love sausage biscuit but they are soooooooo bad for you!

About those protein cereals, they never fill me up. It's like, what's the point of the protein in the cereal if I'm hungry an hour later. I don't know what it is about them.

Thanks again!
  • BrijBee
    Options
    If you're still looking for a protein powder, Whole Foods makes a great soy protein powder :):) It's cheaper than Spirutein and just as delicious and great for you! Good luck! I am also lactose intolerant and can't eat eggs. I understand the breakfast difficulty!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    A vegan protein shake would be perfect for you.
  • yannethfr
    yannethfr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How about making your shakes/smoothies with almond or soy milk and adding a non-dairy based protein powder. My usual morning shake has:

-almond milk
    -banana
    -frozen berries
    -ground flax
    -a big handful of kale or spinach
    -cinnamon or vanilla if you'd like

I eat an egg for protein as it helps me feel fuller longer, but a scoop of the protein powder should be good, too. I don't like them because they are usually flavored and I don't like the taste it gives my shakes.

Good luck and happy eating :)
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Who makes vegan greek yogurt? Interesting!

You can purchase some culture kits online to make vegan yogurt.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Meat.