Healthy Subways?

Options
We live close to a subway so my dad gets it a lot but what should I put on my sandwhich thats the healthiest. I thought my usual sandwhich was healthy minus the mayo I put on it but then I realized salami and pepperoni is high in fat and the oil is high in fat and so is the american cheese so I know to stay away from those now.

So whats on the 5$ menu that I could get thats low in calories? what bread? what cheese? what kind of meats? and I do want some kind of condiment on my sandwhich, nothing worst then a dry sandwhich in my opinion.

The only thing I dont like are onions and mustard so please dont recommend those.

Also I do know its best to make my own sandwhich and salads at home but when my dad wont go to the store and asks me what i want for fast food subway is probably the best option compared to mcdonalds, taco bell, etc.

Replies

• AprilLove13
    Options
    I brought home a menu from subway that has all the calories on it. I suggest going to see if they have one, if not maybe try finding it online. The bread they use most often on the menu is 9 grain whole wheat. Not sure about the cheeses, I'm going to try and stay away from it. Regular mustard is really low, light mayo and vinegar (which I don't care for, but just an fyi). Sorry if this isn't much help.
  • ladyartichoke
    Options
    You can check out the nutritional info on their website here: http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx and you can also use a tool on there to calculate what was in yours. :)
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    thanks i'll ask for one of those menus :)
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options
    i was on the website looking for that tool that shows whats on yours but cant find it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx

Here you go.

I usually get a turkey and ham 6", no cheese, lots of salad, sweet onion dressing.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I do 9 grain whole wheat turkey with no cheese! I hardly can taste the cheese anyway so it saves me 100 cals and then I load up the veggies and do light ranch. It is about 350 calories. Also, the teriyaki chicken is really good. On subway.com you can build your own sandwich and that is a great tool, but be careful because the meat there has tons of sodium in it. Just drink you're water and you'll be fine.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i was on the website looking for that tool that shows whats on yours but cant find it.

http://www.subway.com/Menu/MealBuilder/MealBuilder.aspx

[Thanks for this thread, I'm starving, and exhausted, and I am too tired to even boil pasta, but Subway is six blocks from here, so I will take a slow walk over there with my newly built sandwhich.]
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Subway isn't really all that healthy.. Better then other "fast food" alternatives though.

Best bet if you must go there is as follows: Subs with less deli meat will be better for you. Turkey is best. Stay away from any sauces and condiments. (add them yourself afterwards and i'd go with mustard or oil and vinegar) get the whole wheat bread. Get it loaded with every real veggie they have and stay away from other types of toppings. Or go nutty and nix the bread and get it as a salad. Cheese is cheese. unless they have a light version just get real cheese (not american). Pepper jack or cheddar are my favorite cheese (and really white cheese is healthier, but not in the sense of calories)
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    6 inch chicken teriyaki with sweet onion sauce and no cheese for me! 341 calories. Although those calories are for Australian stores so yours may vary.
  • takehimaway
    Options
    6 inch chicken teriyaki with sweet onion sauce and no cheese for me! 341 calories. Although those calories are for Australian stores so yours may vary.

That's what I want.. I think.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    My dad owns the subways in my area so I eat there a lot. I usually do a turkey, ham, chicken, egg white, or a combo of a few of the above. I get this on wheat bread and have them scoop out the insides of the bread to take away a lot of calories and carbs. As for dressing I get a tiny bit of oil or mustard. But usually mustard. Sometimes I skip the cheese but I'm usually low on calories so I'll get pepper jack. I think these are basically the healthiest choices there, adding in that the roast beef is supposedly a good choice too. As for other dressings, light mayo, sweet onion, vinegar, and italian dressing are probably the best :)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i usually get turkey on wheat or parmesan oregano with veggies and mustard, only like 350 kcal :)
  • takehimaway
    Options
    Before MFP, I was a six inch white, turkey, olives, pickles, mayo. I'm not exciting...
  • whitesox56
    Options
    Subway is just so ridiculously high in sodium. A footlong ham and turkey has more sodium than a double quarter pounder with cheese from McDonalds. Wheat bread is definitely better than white bread. I don't know if I can really suggest anything, I am the world's most picky eater. I like everything plain. LIke I went to Subway Monday and got a chicken breast on a white roll, no toppings.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do egg white, no cheese, with either ham or turkey (if I have meat) on flatbread. Tomato, spinach, olives, green peppers and in place of any sauce, I get avacado. I think a 12" here is about $6.50...
  • sacheend
    Options
    Subway can be relatively low calorie if you choose one of the following:
    1. Turkey 2. Ham 3. Roast Beef 4. Roasted Chicken 5. Veggie

NEVER eat:
    1. Pizza sub 2. Cold Cut Trio 3. Italian BMT ...

Also use lots of veggies to top it so that its filling and provides fibre.

As for cheese, go for it (if its not tasty you wont stick to it), but try to choose the real cheddar, as opposed to processed cheese.

Sauces can be okay, but in moderation.... like a bit of light mayo or ranch but only a little, like literally one line across.

At the end of the day, Subway is not a healthy option, but can be low calorie. The reason is that the bread and most meats are extremely high in sodium, which wont make you fat, but will cause havoc on your circulatory system and heart.

Lastly, dont be fooled by the flat bread option, its actually higher in calories and fat than the regular bread.

-Jared from Subway
  • xFitnessFlirt
    Options

NEVER eat:

As for cheese, go for it (if its not tasty you wont stick to it), but try to choose the real cheddar, as opposed to processed cheese.

Sauces can be okay, but in moderation.... like a bit of light mayo or ranch but only a little, like literally one line across.

At the end of the day, Subway is not a healthy option, but can be low calorie. The reason is that the bread and most meats are extremely high in sodium, which wont make you fat, but will cause havoc on your circulatory system and heart.

Lastly, dont be fooled by the flat bread option, its actually higher in calories and fat than the regular bread.

-Jared from Subway

thanks this is helpful!
  • kevbot34
    Options

NEVER eat:

-Jared from Subway

Exactly what I would have said. Again if you go to Subway, you can get a salad with the meats you want. Turkey with cheese is not bad at all. Sure Sodium is high, but the meal is filling and won't make you crave anything until your next meal. If you do a lot of exercising though, go with a six inch whole wheat. Sure you want to consume less calories and junk, but having extra energy while exercising will intensify your workout.
  • 2013queen
    Options
    Im assuming this isnt a UK poster - but in the UK if our family go to a Subway, I pick a relatively healthy sub like turkey or chicken, and then have it as a salad :) They do it in a nice big dish and you can still have whatever filling you like.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi

i always have a turkey breast salad bowl, its always packed full of salad and very filling, and my local one always gives me extra jalapenos, i think its a good place to eat out, we are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and you have to eat out at sometime, i feel this is a good choice for that shopping day treat.