I'm starving unless I eat 1800+ calories per day.

Options
It really sucks. I've cut down a lot on snacking since last month so I'm still losing weight but it's too slow. 0.3 lbs per week lost is good but I could do better. What do you eat to stay full?

So far protein helps me a lot. Eggs + black beans and chicken breast works. Greek yogurt doesn't help me much considering the fat/calories.

Replies

• DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is my life.
  • aeshow
    aeshow Posts: 1
    Options
    i can relate to what you are saying. I am new to this losing weight deal, so i dont know much. i, too, am hungry all the time! i get a little lightheaded, even my stomach growls! i think it's just my body getting used to the cut in calories. remember....food is an addiction and like all addiction, there is going to be withdrawals! hang in there!
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Egg whites (15cals per egg white and still get a LOT of the protein) with bacon is an amazingly filling brekky. Also WATER WATER WATER!! Drink water all the time :)
  • hayleyfust
    Options
    To feel full:
    1. Drink 16 oz of water within 30 minutes of waking and have breakfast within an hour of waking. After that, drink 8 oz of water before eating each "meal."
    2. Eat 100-200 cal every 3 hours or so. (remember to drink your water FIRST). Make sure those calories are PROTEIN and FIBER rich, LOW in net carbs and low in fat (but NOT fat free). The protein, fiber, and fats will make you feel FULL. An example of a snack might be an apple with low fat cheese or with a tablespoon of lower fat peanut butter.
    3. One of your meals will be a little higher in calories (you'll end up eating about 6x/day and still get about 1200 or so cal per day), say 500 or so. Even if you did a 200 cal snack/meal 5x/day plus a 500 cal meal, that's only 1500 cal...which would create a net deficit of 300 cal/ day or an extra pound per week. If you can keep those a little closer to the 100 cal mark and have a 500-600 cal meal at whichever main meal you prefer, you'll see the weight fall off FAST.

The great thing about this is that your next meal/snack is always just around the corner. It keeps your metabolism revved (yea) and keeps you from being too frustrated. Remember, too, feeling a tummy growl before you eat is a GOOD thing. It tells you that you're fueling your body (not feeding your emotions or other things). Also consider that these smaller amounts of calories will seem like "nothing" at first, but will shrink the actual size of your stomach. Before long, you'll be sated by them (not "FULL") and you'll build the habit of not overeating.

Stick with it...you're on your way to feeling better, looking better, and having a longer, healthier life.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Exercise more maybe?
    I kind of eat a lot too and have a low TDEE because I work a desk job/take night classes/study in my "free time" so the only time I'm really moving is when I'm at the gym.
    Working out help you earn more calories, and lose weight faster, while also gaining muscle and getting in shape.
    It is possible to lose weight without the exercise aspect but I find it's easier if you add that in, even if it's just a couple times a week.
    Also you could try eating 5 times a day with a smaller amount of calories or increasing protein if you're looking to eat less calories. At first it can be difficult but over time your body does get used to a lower amount, your stomach literally shrinks and you don't feel as hungry all the time
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables (and fruits if you're not watching sugar). I find that I can't eat 1800 calories in a day when I'm eating quality foods and getting my veggies.

One of my favorite snacks is a cup or more of fresh fruit and a cup (or half a cup depending) of fat free milk. The combination of protein and carbs seems to keep me full longer.

Try finding lower calorie versions of foods and see if that helps? I eat egg whites instead of eggs; 2 egg whites are about 50 calories but two eggs are 140.

Good luck!
  • hayleyfust
    Options
    Greek yogurt...if you go with plain Chobani, you'll get the most bang for your buck. LOW carbs compared to the rest and lower fat. Just doctor it up with some fruit (or whatever you like). I prefer cocoa and truvia with some strawberries.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that eating literally every 2-3 hours works best. Just make sure it's not more that 200-250 calories, and it's balanced. Some protien, some fat, some good carbs. Reduced fat Wheat Thins and Laughing Cow Light cheese is AWESOME! The Wheat Thins are only 160 calories and you get 16 of them. One of the light cheese wedges is only 35 calories and they have tons of flavors. An apple and a tablespoon of low fat peanut butter works too. If you can find Planters peanut butter, it's got less fat and calories than Peter Pan or Jiff. And I make myself drink at least 5 bottles of water a day. Eat a big salad before you eat dinner. Just be careful about dressing. My husband and I still use full fat ranch, but we put it in a little bowl on the side. Then you dip your fork in the dressing, then get some salad on your fork, that way you get WAY less dressing. Good luck!! All of this is working for us so far. I've lost 4 lbs in 6 days.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    more water!
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    For me the key isn't the amount of calories I'm eating, but rather the kinds of food I'm eating. My diet is heavy on protein and vegetables and light on processed sugars, because your body digests them so quickly and it leaves you hungry again! Simple things like substituting whole wheat for white bread will probably help. In the morning I usually have fat free greek yogurt with banana, for lunch I often have salad with chicken and cheese and sometimes some beans or soup with dairy in it, and my dinner is usually mostly lean protein (fish or chicken) and then a ton of salad or other vegetable like sauteed spinach or zucchini. For a snack I'll have something like an apple with peanut butter (just watch your portion).

Basically I follow a low glycemic index diet - you can read about it here if you're inclined: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glycemic-index-diet/MY00770

good luck! :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Oh god I'm so with you. I have to hold back not to break my limit every day.

Unfortunately the only solution I have found is to work out more :/
  • Aldrichn
    Aldrichn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find that green tea is nice appetite suppressant.
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find that green tea is nice appetite suppressant.

true dat
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    also: VARIETY! I have learned that no matter how many calories i eat, if i am not getting the nutrients i need, then I am hungry. I have no way of knowing what nutrients/vitamins/etc I am really hungry for, so, I make just try to get a variety of foods every day. Meaning veggies in lots of colors, different types of protein and fats (lean meats, nuts, dairy), i try to change up what types of fruits i have each day too. It's possible that just the variety just satisfies my taste-buds, but I think it's more linked to the fact that im getting everything i need from my food.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    eating more slowly helps, as does eating more calorie dense and filling food, i.e. more lean protein, more vegetables. avoid too many carbs, as these don't fill you up. You need enough carbohydrate to fuel your workouts and your general activity (I don't do low carb dieting, but at the same time too many carbs will mess up my eating plan!!) A decent amount of healthy fat helps too, as if you're not getting enough healthy fat and fat soluble vitamins, you will crave fatty foods. People tend to avoid fat because it's a lot of calories in a relatively small serving, but your body needs it (the healthy kinds that is). Lack of protein and healthy fat = hungry all the time.

but there's nothing bad about losing at a rate of just 0.3lb/week. I was losing only marginally faster than this, I'm now at goal and maintaining without difficulty. So long as you're reducing your body fat, then that's progress. Long term maintenance is a lot more important than how quickly the weight comes off. The closer you are to goal, the slower you should aim to lose weight as there's more danger of losing lean body mass. It's the amount of fat you're losing that counts, losses of water weight is just false progress and loss of lean tissue is bad for your health and slows your metabolism. Your body burns fat slowly, hence why slow weight loss is more likely to be just fat that's being burned, and is going to be a lot more sustainable.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    A decent amount of healthy fat helps too, as if you're not getting enough healthy fat and fat soluble vitamins, you will crave fatty foods. People tend to avoid fat because it's a lot of calories in a relatively small serving, but your body needs it (the healthy kinds that is).

oh yes this x 100!!! We are so brainwashed to think everything has to be as low fat as possible, but when i snack on nuts, or add avocado to my salad, i am absolutely more satisfied. Low-fat is a hard habit to break, but once I realized I really CAN have some of those delicious foods with healthy fats in them, I make sure to have a good amount every day and it reduces my cravings significantly. After a low cal, low fat, low carb, low everything snack, Im still hungry. So instead of reaching for rice cakes when I feel hungry, ill go for a handful of nuts. Sure, I might get 100-150 more calories from it, but then I am done and I don't need to keep grazing trying to satisfy my hunger.
  • Sharoncipi
    Options
    My main problem is the proteins... I love meat and fish and chicken, and I need a big portion in order to feel satisfied :( I always grill it, I just put some garllic sauce and herbs on it, and grill in a convection oven, but according to the diet plan on here, I am waaay overboard with protein :( I have dieted before, roughy same as I am doing now, and it worked, somehow. Anyone has the same problem as me?? Oh I just love my food !
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So far protein helps me a lot. Eggs + black beans and chicken breast works. Greek yogurt doesn't help me much considering the fat/calories.

fat free greek yoghurt!

skimmed milk is good as a snack, or maybe look at protein powder, high protein with fairly low calories?

nuts are a good snack too. and sweet potato instead of normal potato - better for you, more vitamins for the same/less calories.
  • angelz_love
    angelz_love Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm surprised no one mentioned healthy carbs. I googled a list. Ditto on the avacado and nuts-walnuts and almonds for me. I drink over 2 liters of water MOST days too.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It might help if people can see your diary.

Also what's your age/current weight and height?