Graveyard shift!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hello everyone,

As many of the new people here i am pretty new at keeping track of what i eat and losing weight. I tried to lose weigh before but kinda fail for the simple reason that i had no motivation and i was kinda alone in this. I am trying to reach out for help to see if i can finally do this. Also i work graveyard shift so keep track of what i eat and do day to day basis is kinda weird since i start at 10:30 pm to 6:30 am. I eat around 3 am so i find it hard to put it on my daily sheet since its technically the next day. Anybody have any tips how i should manage this?

Replies

• lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I have my diary setup with military times instead of labels that way no matter what shift I am on or off I just log my food when I eat it

0000 - 0600
    0600 - 1200
    1200 - 1800
    1800 - 2400

join the other nightshifters on the official nightshift thread on the forums
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I count from midnight to midnight, works for my nights off as well. Welcome to MFP.
  • lisa28115
    Options
    This is a new facebook page for night shift workers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/108197372645760/
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    Hey I also work overnight shift and I agree it definitely is hard to track. I wish mfp would allow for everyone to set what their normal day is. I used to have a bodybugg to help me track how many calories I was burning and although I hated their food logging system for lack of normal foods being on the list, it did allow you to set what hours you were normally awake. So I could put in there that I'm normally awake from say 3pm until 7am.

What time do you normally wake up and go to bed while being on overnight shift? I am beginning all of my tracking today (Wed 1/9) and trying to decide if I am planning it for Wed or considering it to be my Thursday. It all depends on if you wake up earlier or if you stay awake longer when you get home I think. Hopefully we can figure this out! Good luck and there is plenty of motivation and support on this website so you'll never have to feel alone in the process.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have my diary setup with military times instead of labels that way no matter what shift I am on or off I just log my food when I eat it

0000 - 0600
    0600 - 1200
    1200 - 1800
    1800 - 2400

join the other nightshifters on the official nightshift thread on the forums

That's a great idea! I think I should change my diary to that setting instead of labeling it as breakfast, lunch, and dinner
  • flutterfly1974
    flutterfly1974 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too work grave yard shift 11pm-7am. I can eat at my desk, so I fix my food when I come in & eat my "breakfast" right when I get in. Snack time is around 3 am & then I have my "dinner" if I'm conscious enough to eat between 8-9am.

I just log it for what it is. Your 1st meal of the day is breakfast- & like tonight, my trout & veggies are what I logged. Usually breakfast fare is what gets logged under dinner as it would be my "dinner" time, but I like breakfast food for that.

I also log it for the day that it is, so like when I came in tonight @ 11pm (1/8) I don't get off till 7am 1/9. So I just log it as the 9th.

I've been doing grave for almost 11 yrs now, so I'm acclimated :) The hard part for me is having enough energy to get up early, especially if I didn't sleep well that day, to get to the gym before they close & I have to be @ work.
    I just can't work out when I get off work, the rush just keeps me awake & then I don't get enough sleep.

Hope that helps.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I work 7 pm to 7:30 am and count noon to noon as one day.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Hey I also work overnight shift and I agree it definitely is hard to track. I wish mfp would allow for everyone to set what their normal day is. I used to have a bodybugg to help me track how many calories I was burning and although I hated their food logging system for lack of normal foods being on the list, it did allow you to set what hours you were normally awake. So I could put in there that I'm normally awake from say 3pm until 7am.

What time do you normally wake up and go to bed while being on overnight shift? I am beginning all of my tracking today (Wed 1/9) and trying to decide if I am planning it for Wed or considering it to be my Thursday. It all depends on if you wake up earlier or if you stay awake longer when you get home I think. Hopefully we can figure this out! Good luck and there is plenty of motivation and support on this website so you'll never have to feel alone in the process.

you can change how you track on MFP, you can change what you call your meals and If you are looking to change when the day ends, just change time zones and that will do the trick as well. I have a category on my diary called OH CRAP I AM WORKING 3RDS, due to the fact I work swing shift and on my nights on 3rds I snack constantly to stay awake.
  • flutterfly1974
    flutterfly1974 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

you can change how you track on MFP, you can change what you call your meals and If you are looking to change when the day ends, just change time zones and that will do the trick as well. I have a category on my diary called OH CRAP I AM WORKING 3RDS, due to the fact I work swing shift and on my nights on 3rds I snack constantly to stay awake.

I know that feeling, I have a tendency to want to snack when I'm bored or tired. Kills me all the time.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

I know that feeling, I have a tendency to want to snack when I'm bored or tired. Kills me all the time.

I just plan for it, bring in plenty of healthier snacks and have at it. been working swing shift for 3 years, lost this weight in the last year. you can still snack and lose weight. ask anyone on my list, they call me the snack king.
  • drumfox7
    Options

I am so glad there are other people going through the same thing as i am. I just started working graveyard shift for the first time and man its been hard the first couple of days. I am getting pretty use to it, i try to go sleep before 10am when i get home and wake up around 4:00pm. I try to get at lease 7 hours sleep. I like the idea of counting everything as is like breakfast, lunch and dinner even though the day is kinda split. I'll take your advice and just mark it as one day. Also i am a big coffee drinking since i find it hard to stay fully awake working these hours, any advice in what kind of healthy coffee i should consider drinking?
  • drumfox7
    Options

Thank you very much for this page! Working night shift suddenly doesn't seem too bad now :)
  • lisa28115
    Options

I am so glad there are other people going through the same thing as i am. I just started working graveyard shift for the first time and man its been hard the first couple of days. I am getting pretty use to it, i try to go sleep before 10am when i get home and wake up around 4:00pm. I try to get at lease 7 hours sleep. I like the idea of counting everything as is like breakfast, lunch and dinner even though the day is kinda split. I'll take your advice and just mark it as one day. Also i am a big coffee drinking since i find it hard to stay fully awake working these hours, any advice in what kind of healthy coffee i should consider drinking?

Railr0aderTony would be the best one to ask that question
  • lisa28115
    Options

Thank you very much for this page! Working night shift suddenly doesn't seem too bad now :)

what kind of work do you do ???

I work for a food service distributor in Charlotte, NC

I am a DOT clerk....I edit drivers electronic logs...fun stuff :huh:
  • drumfox7
    Options

I work in the IT department in East LA. I fix computer when they break. I like that fact that nobody is really here and i get to chill. Its kinda weird since this is my first graveyard job but its not so bad. How long you been working graveyard?
  • lisa28115
    Options

I work in the IT department in East LA. I fix computer when they break. I like that fact that nobody is really here and i get to chill. Its kinda weird since this is my first graveyard job but its not so bad. How long you been working graveyard?

I have been on this shift for 1 year, I started out on 2nd shift and i workthat for 1 year
    I definitely like 3rd better as far as I never got to see my husband and child on 2nd

I work sun nites - thurs nites
    10pm to 6am est