Diet Drinks and Depression

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
Saw this article on the BBC website, just thought I'd share, I've been without my regular diet coke for 48 hours now and think I'm feeling better in general.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20943509

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I quit diet cokes cold turkey in 2005. I learned to drink my coffee and tea without sugar or artificial sweetners.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the 3-4 cups of coffee I drink counterbalance the 2-3 glasses of Diet Coke/Dr Pepper Zero I drink :drinker:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hmmm this is interesting, I do wish they would look into it more.... I think determining the actual link here is really tricky... I mean is it something actually in the drink causes depression causes the chemical in balance or is it because of the reason they are chosen.. I mean most who go for diet do so because they are trying to be healthier, loose weight, are conscious of their body in some way... so is it something in the drinks is it because they drink diet drinks, or because of the reason behind why they choose to drink diet drinks...

think I just let my psychology side come out... lol

Though I think they should just stop making diet drinks, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "diet friendly" fizzy drink and if there was only regular, people who do care about their body wouldn't go for fizzy drinks at all.
    x
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I recently started drinking diet coke again and feel so much better. <--scientific results
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    People who drink diet soda will die. - That's a FACT

Drinking diet soda will kill you. - that's a MYTH

Let's all start with the facts and consign the myths to the bin where they belong :happy:
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hmmm this is interesting, I do wish they would look into it more.... I think determining the actual link here is really tricky... I mean is it something actually in the drink causes depression causes the chemical in balance or is it because of the reason they are chosen.. I mean most who go for diet do so because they are trying to be healthier, loose weight, are conscious of their body in some way... so is it something in the drinks is it because they drink diet drinks, or because of the reason behind why they choose to drink diet drinks...

think I just let my psychology side come out... lol

Though I think they should just stop making diet drinks, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "diet friendly" fizzy drink and if there was only regular, people who do care about their body wouldn't go for fizzy drinks at all.
    x

My thoughts exactly when I read the article on this. When I'm in a good mood, I take better care of myself, and tend to avoid sweetened beverages because they are either full of sugar or artificial sweeteners with unknown health effects. When I'm down in the dumps, I don't care what I consume. I think people who are depressed may be more likely to consume sweetened beverages; I don't necessarily think that people who consume sweetened beverages become depressed as a result.

REMEMBER: Correlation does not mean causation!