Nursing Mothers Thread

Options
Okay-So I figured I start a thread for the nursing mothers. Where are you gals?

Replies

• SKINNYMOMOF5
    SKINNYMOMOF5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    HI,I'M NURSING MY FIFTH,DO YOU EAT EXTRA CALS? IF SO HOW MANY AND R U STILL LOSEING?
  • sechmanojo
    sechmanojo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am at the end of nursing my 3rd little boy. No I do not eat extra calories. I workout and eat a moderate amount to lose 1.5 lbs a week. It is going well considering I was eating WAY over the amount of calories I should have been eating to actually lose weight! My little one is about to be 1 year old!
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 14mo son. At this point he's not nursing for growth so I do not add calories for it.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 3 1/2 month old son. I am eating extra calories so I don't lose my milk. I normally have my intake set at 1700, don't know if it's too low or too high. Today I set them at 1600 because I think I've hit a plateau. If it affects my milk I will up it again. I sure do love breastfeeding...what a wonderful bond!!
  • leahrbell
    Options
    I am breastfeeding by pumping my first. She will be a month old on wed :0( I had her by csection. When did everyone start light excercise after birth/csection?
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 7 month old. I do not eat extra calories. Right now I am at the point where if I stop making enough milk, I will stop breastfeeding him. But, so far I am making enough milk for him and as long as that happens, we're both happy!

I started working out after I had both my babies about 2 months after. Both of them were big babies, so I was sore for a while, and it took some extra healing time! I really didn't get too serious with working out after this one until January---and he was 5 1/2 months then.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 8 mouth old and I eat about ex. 400 to 500 calories to keep my milk up and yes I am still losing weight. I eat 1700 to 1800 calories a day I also workout every day. I do plan on eating less when she start to eat more food since we can only get 2-3 spoon full. I had my little on by c-section. As far as exercise start with some slow walks and wait to do anymore in-till you get the go ahead for more and don't over do it.

153118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I cheated a few days ago and my milk supply went up. So, I took myself out of a deficit. No one says you HAVE to eat all the calories allotted to you each day. Plus I'm in a deficit already just by nursing and pumping off around 20+ ounces a day extra.
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread for the first time. I am still nursing my "almost" 23 month old. He only nurses still at bed time and usually only 10 minutes or so. Other than that, he's not nursing. So I don't figure extra calories for that. I'm trying to get him off completely, so i figure if my milk production decreases, that will be incentive for him to give it up. LOL
  • erica62784
    Options
    Is there a setting on here for nursing mothers to see where we are supposed to be at with our calories?
  • Betten
    Betten Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my 7 weeks old. I Haven't added any calories and so far my supply has been fine, if i start to loose supply then I will up them. The baby weight melted off when i started on MFP, since all the baby weight is gone it is going much slower.

You can add calories to your day by looking up "breastfeeding" in the food database and add it to you diary it will give you 100 extra calories.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The general rule is 300-500 calories more. So add 3-5 "servings" of breastfeeding to your diet every day. Just decide how many calories you want to "correct" your intake by.

As previous posters have said, it is very much trial and error. You'll know you're producing less if your baby is eating all the time.

Betten-you can up your calories for nursing by adding more than one serving. I just decided to put each serving at 100 calorie increments to make it easier for nursing mommies.
  • jgstrawberry
    jgstrawberry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my 7 week old. My weight is not dropping off no matter how much I exercise, but I hope that eating better will change that. Thanks for the tip with adding calories... I don't want my milk to go away.