exercise at home

Options
Hi, im after some ideas of exercises i can do at home without any equipment.i need to tone as i lose weight and also build up strength in my legs as they are very weak at the moment.

Replies

• cstrickland68
    Options
    You can walk up and down stairs if you have some in your home. That's great cardio and will build up the strength in your legs.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, push ups and planks will all help you build muscle without using equipment. And if you find that you want to work on your upper body more, you could always use water bottles, canned vegetables or a couple of books instead of weights.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Go for a run (or walk, whatever you can manage to start with).
    Get some resistance bands, cheap (£10 a set) and you can do a ton of exercises with those.
    Core exercises such as planks, mountain climber, etc.

I have a pull-up bar now, and some dumbells rather than the resistance bands. Between those and push-ups there are plenty I can do. I usually do pull-ups and push-ups after a run, and once a week do an upper-body workout.

My legs get a work out mountain biking where I make an effort to really pump the pedals rather than spin. You could do hill intervals or stair climbing.

I used to go to the gym but can't afford to now, and to be honest I'm enjoying my fitness routine more. Pounding the pavement and mountain biking are far better than being in a gym, and I can do the other exercises at a time to suit me without having to get my gym bag together, drive to the gym, pay £35 a month, etc.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is on youtube - as suggested earlier, things around the house can be used for weights - bottles of water, cans etc. Good luck!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    You tube has a lot of great free videos...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try www.bodyrock.tv and www.fitnessblender.com for lots of free workouts you can do at home.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, push ups and planks will all help you build muscle without using equipment. And if you find that you want to work on your upper body more, you could always use water bottles, canned vegetables or a couple of books instead of weights.

^^This!

I go to the gym for weight-lifting but at home I do Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. I also hula hoop at home. Not with a fancy weighted hoop, just a $3 hula hoop I got at Walmart.
  • thetrigg85
    Options
    thanks everyone for your suggestions.