Does anyone know anything about statins?

Options
Hi. Mr Dr prescribed me a medication called Simvastatin. I thought this was for cholesterol but she told me today she prescribed it purely for weightloss. I want to come off it as I don't like the side effects. I told her that I was eating well and losing weight (although it doesn't show here as I didn't join MFP until week 3) & she's adamant that it's the pills and not my hard work & I'm a bit cross! Anyone else have experience of this?

Replies

• LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    That seems a bit odd, I've never heard of statins helping with weight loss before. Is your cholesterol high? If so, then probably best to stay on it or if you have high risk factors (ie have had a recent stroke or heart attack). If it is just for weight management though, I would think about stopping it - maybe consult another doctor?
  • paulsmisses
    Options
    my dad takes this for high chlorestoral - have never known it to with weight.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7481845/Health-warning-over-statin-taken-by-millions.html
    Have a look at the the above.

My doctor wanted to put me on statins but i out right refused despite a bad family history of heart disease, and my own cholesterol raising to dangerous levels over the last 5 years.

If you have no underlining health issues diet & exercise, will overtime reduce your cholesterol.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Time for a new doctor.

I don't know about that drug specifically, but a lot of the cholesterol drugs are really hard on the liver. I wouldn't take them unless absolutely necessary. If you're losing weight on your own, no need for a drug, especially a potentially harmful one.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I know quite a bit. They can have some significant side effects, so it is best to weigh the situation's benefits/risks before going on one. Have you asked to try diet and exercise modification yet? If not, try that first. More exercise, less fatty foods and eat more omega 3 foods like salmon, nuts, olive oils etc. While on statins, some people experience memory loss and confusion, muscle loss and loss of coordination, and some people even develop high blood sugar levels which leads to diabetes type 2. It is also important to make sure that your doctor monitors the function of your liver if you go on a statin, as this drug can have negative effects on it. All of this can be found ont he FDAs website, as well.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    OH! i MISSED THAT PART ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS! I would NOT take a statin for weight loss. The side effects do NOT outweigh the benefits. You can lose weight through diet and exercise.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I work with someone who is on them andd she has put on weight. I haven't heard many good things about them.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My father was on it after having a heart valve replacement. He's done a lot of research and believes its the cause of a bunch of issues he's had. He is very strongly opposed to it.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was taking this prior to joining MFP and losing the weight. I didn't like the side effects either, but thought I needed it. When my doctor saw that I was losing weight and starting to get healthy, he took me off it and endorsed what I was doing with my exercise and eating right.
    I am now off all my meds (high cholesterol and blood pressure meds) since dropping the 55 lbs.
    Good luck with this, I know how it is to be taking meds your really not sure of.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My husband has been on statins since a heart valave replacement. He has found all the side effects to be extremely bad, and has worked with his doctor to try different brands to see if that eases the muscular pain etc. He's now on something that isn't a statin but has the same cholseterol reducing aim. And it's still causing side effects.

He hasn't lost any weight, though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Simvastatin has no role in weight loss and should not be prescribed for that. It is an effective drug and can have an important part in cholesterol management.

If your doctor is prescribing it please take the insert to her and discuss it (http://secure.healthlinks.net.au/content/msd/cmi.cfm?product=mkczocor) As you can see from the the insert, it is for cholestrol. If your doctor insists that it is for weight loss - please ask her to show you the study or the Physicians Desk Reference or other source that states so.

Given what you have posted here, it does seem that your doctor has given you wrong information and an incorrect prescription - however, in many cases this is due to communication issues and should be discussed with the doctor to clarify (this is no just legalize because I work in the industry).

If you are concerned after that second discussion about the trust issues I suggest you consider another doctor and possibly reporting the prescription issue to your health insurance carrier.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you want to come off them, then do. After seeing my dad's side effects, I would never take them, let alone for weight loss.

Edit: and find a new doctor, one who's not in the pocket of a pharm company.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Simvastatin has no role in weight loss and should not be prescribed for that. It is an effective drug and can have an important part in cholesterol management.

If your doctor is prescribing it please take the insert to her and discuss it (http://secure.healthlinks.net.au/content/msd/cmi.cfm?product=mkczocor) As you can see from the the insert, it is for cholestrol. If your doctor insists that it is for weight loss - please ask her to show you the study or the Physicians Desk Reference or other source that states so.

Given what you have posted here, it does seem that your doctor has given you wrong information and an incorrect prescription - however, in many cases this is due to communication issues and should be discussed with the doctor to clarify (this is no just legalize because I work in the industry).

If you are concerned after that second discussion about the trust issues I suggest you consider another doctor and possibly reporting the prescription issue to your health insurance carrier.

Sounds like prudent advice though I suggest you also speak with your pharmacist. My doctor is human and humans do make mistakes. I dont expect my doctor to have all the answers & I have learned that my pharmacist is often a great source to include in my health care.

One of my favorite adages: One out of every two doctors have graduated in the bottom half of their class.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Not many positives then! Thing is I have about 4 consultants working on my case. I don't speak their language & they always seem to be arguing. They didn't tell me I had a cholestrol problem. But I didn't think to ask what it was. When I was first ill I was flagged up as morbidly obese. A wake up call as I didn't feel that big and here they give you simvastatin straightaway just for being morbidly obese. I did present in hospital with stroke symptoms but they confirmed something else. I'm only 35! My diet has always been healthy I was just eating too much so my cholestrol shouldn't be shocking. But I am having the muscle problems and digestive system issues (those who've taken it will know) I'm having blood tests done tommorow with the results getting sent to a different doc. And she's been made aware of my weight loss so I hope that'll be enough to convince them to take me off it. Thanks again.
  • SweetTeaAndCutoffs
    SweetTeaAndCutoffs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely advise taking a statin just for weigh loss. Statins are a serious drug with pretty significant side effects/risks. I am seeing so many older people on statins with severe joint/bone pain and once discontuining their statin, the pain stops. I really am surprised a doctor would even suggest that!
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! My physio thinks the muscle problems are mineral defficiency. One of the consultants told me to come off my supplements but wont prescribe new ones until they've checked the levels of everything in my blood yet they'll hand these out no probs! Certainly have a strange approach here. I miss the NHS!