New to lifting...

Options
Hi everyone!
I have been advised to start lifting - I currently do quite a bit of cardio (running and swimming 4 times a week) and Pilates once every week, but have been told that lifting is the way forward for me to lose these last stubborn 15lbs or so!?
The book 'New Rules of Lifting For Women' is SUPER expensive to get shipped to the UK so it's not on my list of resources, but can anyone help me with a start programme or point me in the right direction to any good starter resources?
I am a complete newbie using gym machines and weights so will need a lot of help haha!
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The book 'New Rules of Lifting For Women' is SUPER expensive to get shipped to the UK so it's not on my list of resources

it's £10 on amazon.co.uk?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1583333398/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Everyone will recommend that or

http://stronglifts.com/ or

5/3/1

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?pid=2976
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting too. Is there a group of support for new lifters?
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The book 'New Rules of Lifting For Women' is SUPER expensive to get shipped to the UK so it's not on my list of resources

it's £10 on amazon.co.uk?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1583333398/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Everyone will recommend that or

http://stronglifts.com/ or

5/3/1

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?pid=2976

I've clearly been looking in the wrong places! Thanks :)
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    This may sounds ridiculous but does "New Rules of Lifting for Women' include diagrams for proper form?
  • punkin_p
    Options
    I'm doing Starting Strength and it's what I would personally recommend, but I know StrongLifts and NROLFW are all highly recommended.
  • ehart7
    ehart7 Posts: 3
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money on any books about weightlifting (especially one that differentiates based on gender...that's just a marketing ploy). You're better off taking that money and getting a personal trainer for 1-3 sessions with the sole purpose of learning the essential weightlifting maneuvers (i.e. squat, bench press, deadlift, etc.). You're actually quite lucky you live in the UK because the UK Strength and Conditioning Certification is the most difficult certs to get in the world and it means the person training you will have extensive knowledge regarding every facet of fitness. There are group workshops available around the country: http://www.uksca.org.uk/uksca/Common/productList.asp?txtItemTypeID=7

If that is still too pricey, a decent alternative is to join a Crossfit gym. While Crossfit is a terrible training paradigm for athletes, it's actually quite good for the general population so long as the movements are appropriately taught and supervised. It can also be quite inexpensive to get started (lots of Crossfit affiliates offer between one and five free sessions). Just make sure the instructors understand that you're new to Crossfit and not familiar with any of the movements.

If you are settled on reading about the movements before implementing them (which would be smart, even if you do decide to get a personal trainer for a few sessions) take a look at http://www.sportscienceed.com/ under the "exercises" tab for videos regarding many of the lifts. In the same respect, YouTube would be a decent place to see the proper weightlifting movements.

All of this being said, I can't emphasize enough the need to learn these lifts under the proper supervision. Weightlifting is one of the safest sports out there (as far as injuries per 100 athletes is concerned) but when done improperly you can really mess yourself up. It's also very important to learn how to put these exercises together with the appropriate sets, reps, and rest intervals; and how to develop your program over time to avoid plateauing and not seeing the desired results anymore. It's well worth the initial investment to learn this stuff at the beginning.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm not just some guy that read a lot of BS magazines about weightlifting or bodybuilding...I have a Masters in Kinesiology and Sport Science and over 1000 hours coaching athletes ranging from my own wife to Olympic hopefuls at the US Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, NY. Anyways, good luck with your training!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You're actually quite lucky you live in the UK because the UK Strength and Conditioning Certification is the most difficult certs to get in the world and it means the person training you will have extensive knowledge regarding every facet of fitness

You don't need that to be a personal trainer in the UK, 99% of PT's here wont have that.
  • ehart7
    Options
    You're actually quite lucky you live in the UK because the UK Strength and Conditioning Certification is the most difficult certs to get in the world and it means the person training you will have extensive knowledge regarding every facet of fitness

You don't need that to be a personal trainer in the UK, 99% of PT's here wont have that.

I realize that...she should look for one in her area that does though. I'm unfamiliar with the other certifications that are offered in the UK (quick google search didn't bring up any besides the UKSCA) but I know that the UKSCA cert. is exponentially better than the NSCA, ACE, or any other certification in the states and is well worth the money to get one or two individual sessions before starting off.

The UKSCA website also has a feature where you can search by postcode for a PT. Looks like a lot of them are grad students looking to make an extra buck so they might be relatively inexpensive.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money on any books about weightlifting (especially one that differentiates based on gender...that's just a marketing ploy). You're better off taking that money and getting a personal trainer for 1-3 sessions with the sole purpose of learning the essential weightlifting maneuvers (i.e. squat, bench press, deadlift, etc.). You're actually quite lucky you live in the UK because the UK Strength and Conditioning Certification is the most difficult certs to get in the world and it means the person training you will have extensive knowledge regarding every facet of fitness. There are group workshops available around the country: http://www.uksca.org.uk/uksca/Common/productList.asp?txtItemTypeID=7

If that is still too pricey, a decent alternative is to join a Crossfit gym. While Crossfit is a terrible training paradigm for athletes, it's actually quite good for the general population so long as the movements are appropriately taught and supervised. It can also be quite inexpensive to get started (lots of Crossfit affiliates offer between one and five free sessions). Just make sure the instructors understand that you're new to Crossfit and not familiar with any of the movements.

If you are settled on reading about the movements before implementing them (which would be smart, even if you do decide to get a personal trainer for a few sessions) take a look at http://www.sportscienceed.com/ under the "exercises" tab for videos regarding many of the lifts. In the same respect, YouTube would be a decent place to see the proper weightlifting movements.

All of this being said, I can't emphasize enough the need to learn these lifts under the proper supervision. Weightlifting is one of the safest sports out there (as far as injuries per 100 athletes is concerned) but when done improperly you can really mess yourself up. It's also very important to learn how to put these exercises together with the appropriate sets, reps, and rest intervals; and how to develop your program over time to avoid plateauing and not seeing the desired results anymore. It's well worth the initial investment to learn this stuff at the beginning.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm not just some guy that read a lot of BS magazines about weightlifting or bodybuilding...I have a Masters in Kinesiology and Sport Science and over 1000 hours coaching athletes ranging from my own wife to Olympic hopefuls at the US Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, NY. Anyways, good luck with your training!

That "marketing ploy" is actually a very informative, standard book that's helped MANY women on this site get started and trained properly. Do your research first.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Me too SS, let me know if you find a group on here :) I started Monday and loving it so far although my 'heavy' is pretty pathetic. Feeling stronger already.
  • ehart7
    Options

Hope this helps!

That "marketing ploy" is actually a very informative, standard book that's helped MANY women on this site get started and trained properly. Do your research first.

You're right, I did not choose my words wisely. I think a book such as that or reading done on a reputable website can be an excellent resource for someone interested in starting a weightlifting routine. My more general point was that reading, studying photographs, and watching videos are not the best way to learn how to actually perform the movements and that a little investment in a coach at the very beginning can pay dividends in the end by helping one to avoid injury and disappointment. I apologize if I was offensive in any way.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been doing this free program. I'm on week 7 and had some great results, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html. It includes information on nutrition and workouts for 12 weeks.

There is also a group here on MFP, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10394-jamie-eason-livefit-12-week-program-2013

-Kat
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I did the first stage of NROLFW (there's a group on MFP for it) and switched to StrongLifts 5x5.

Stronglifts is free and much much less complicated than NROLFW.
    I switched since I wasn't going to be able to do stage 2 at my gym due to some of the equipment it required, and I had to made modifications to stage 1.

Starting Strengths is also free so I'd look into that
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This may sounds ridiculous but does "New Rules of Lifting for Women' include diagrams for proper form?

Yes, it does.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

You're right, I did not choose my words wisely. I think a book such as that or reading done on a reputable website can be an excellent resource for someone interested in starting a weightlifting routine. My more general point was that reading, studying photographs, and watching videos are not the best way to learn how to actually perform the movements and that a little investment in a coach at the very beginning can pay dividends in the end by helping one to avoid injury and disappointment. I apologize if I was offensive in any way.

No offense at all. Just from personal experience, a similar book was given to me in high school from my father figure as a different approach to being fit than the route I was going. Read it, loved it, pics were inspiring to me and he helped show me proper moves.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Me too SS, let me know if you find a group on here :) I started Monday and loving it so far although my 'heavy' is pretty pathetic. Feeling stronger already.

let me know! would be great to find some like minded starters like us :)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get some PT sessions, but not sure if I can afford it. Perhaps I should ask people to give me PT sessions for my birthday and do 6 weeks to get me back on the right track.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I wouldn't waste my money on any books about weightlifting (especially one that differentiates based on gender...that's just a marketing ploy).

One of the first things you read in New Rules of Lifting for Women is to "lift like a man." Not a marketing ploy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    here you go

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/top-posts/

pretty much ready every article there., but start with "working out properly" section.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Learn the basics: squats, bench, rows etc. to start.
    Learn the correct form and execution (you should have someone like a good trainer demonstrate then watch you do it)
    Get in enough repetition so your body "feels" what it's like doing the exercises correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition