How do you bump your cals UP?

Options
if at the end of the day and you've realized you're considerably lower in your daily calorie allowance than is recommended?

is it best to run out and grab a candy bar to get your calories in (please say Yes, please say Yes, please say Yes...haha) or is it better to eat 5 Danon Light & Fit fat-free yogurts until you're closer to your target number?

Replies

• sarahhnash
    Options
    I usually eat nuts or something similar. They're protein rich, good for you, and calorie dense, so a good way to get those cals up at the end of the day if needs be.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Oofda, I'd say neither haha. Both of them are going to be high in sugar. A healthy, high calorie snack: nuts. I keep snack baggies of trail mix (peanut, cashews, almonds, raisins, dark chocolate chips) in my purse, workout bag, desk, and just about everywhere. Or some peanut butter, very high in calories but still good for you.

Something I plan on having as a splurge this weekend: 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream with some toasted macadamia nuts and grilled banana.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    LOL I beleive you know the correct answer....always try and go the healthier route if you are able to
  • rosysilhouette
    Options
    a lot of people on this site always suggest nuts,
    but they're really high in saturated fat.
    are there no alternatives which can boost cals without going over sat fat?
  • lovemy2girls
    Options
    I do nuts or peanut butter usually, but every now and then, go for the candy bar I say! Especially if you're still in your cals.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Nuts and Peanut butter are high in FAT however, healthy fat.. I am not saying indulge in a peanut butter twix.. however, eating a serving of peanut butter with an apple IS a great snack... OR the HEalth nuts too, My best thing is if I am under, and it has been stated.. A whole grain bowl of cereal wiht a cup of Skim milk is great for your body too.. :)
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Definitely DO NOT go for the candy bar or the yogurts. They are definitely not the right options, if you have a goal to lose weight or tone up. Sugar not only gives you a short window of satisfaction (and zero health benefits), but it also tricks your body to think you are hungry in as little as 20 mins, thus creating an opportunity to overeat and destroy any hard work.

Nuts, fruit, vegetables or high protein jerky are better options. Yes, nuts are high in saturated fat, but they offer FAR better nutrients than reaching for a candy bar that is loaded with sugar - regardless of how far under your cals are.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    For those not sure about nuts I looked up the nutritional values of a few. These are all based on a 1/4 cup serving

dry roasted peanuts
    Calories 213
    Fat 18g
    Saturated 2.5g
    Polyunsaturated 5.7g
    monounsaturated 9g
    sodium 2mg
    carbs 8g
    fiber 3g
    protein 8.6g

Walnuts
    calories 200
    fat 20g
    saturated 2g
    polyunsaturated 14g
    monounsaturated 2.7g
    sodium .6mg
    carbs 4g
    fiber 2g
    protein 4.6g

cashews
    calories 196
    fat 16g
    saturated 3g
    polyunsaturated 2.7g
    monounsaturated 9.4g
    sodium 5.5mg
    carbs 11g
    fiber 1g
    protein 5.2g

almonds
    calories 205
    fat 18g
    saturated 1.4g
    polyunsaturated 4.3g
    monounsaturated 11.4g
    sodium .4mg
    carbs 7g
    fiber 4g
    protein 7.5g

As you can see that while there is a bit of saturated fat in nuts, they have higher amounts of monounsaturated fat (the good fat) and are low in sodium (as long as you don't salt them) and high in protein and fiber. All in all, nut are a very healthy snack
  • libra1021
    libra1021 Posts: 19
    Options
    thanks all! I actually have some unsalted almonds on hand.
  • sparklebritches
    Options
    Nuts and ground flax. I rarely have many calories leftover and had to cut back once I realized just how many they were adding. I love them.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Usually a piece of peanut butter toast and a glass of milk will help me out if I'm too low.
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    Usually a piece of peanut butter toast and a glass of milk will help me out if I'm too low.
    I was going to suggest this as well!