Had a gastric bypass; not enough calories...

Options
Hey all,

I am a person who has had a gastric bypass some years ago and was one of the persons who put some weight back on. Now I am on here and counting calories. Honestly, I know and have researched the science behind making sure that you are not under eating. But, when you literally do not have the space to put more food into your body, what then?

I have noticed a stark difference in my weight as I have only been on here since December and have lost 17 pounds. I don't eat badly but even when I put in my food choices and enter in all of the calories that I have on my plate, I may not get in but four to five bites and am full. What to do?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think you had better talk to your doctor about it. Not meaning that to be a cop out, just not sure if you're supposed to be eating fewer calories.

If your doc wants you on more calories than you're eating you can go for more calorie dense foods. Nuts, avocados, meat, etc. Things that will give you more calories for a smaller amount of food.
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. i literally had the bypass almost 10 years ago. I didn't gain it all back but I have put on some weight since then.

I don't feel badly nor am I lacking any energy. If I can consistently get in 1000 calories in a day, I am doing good. I eat nutrient dense foods but not calorie dense foods for fear of sabotaging myself.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. i literally had the bypass almost 10 years ago. I didn't gain it all back but I have put on some weight since then.

I don't feel badly nor am I lacking any energy. If I can consistently get in 1000 calories in a day, I am doing good. I eat nutrient dense foods but not calorie dense foods for fear of sabotaging myself.
    You're on a different program, and the MFP recommendations may not be right for you.
    Get with your physician, and good luck.
    Maybe others can learn from your mistake.
    :flowerforyou:
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Relax. You will never get enough calories unless you eat crap. The bypass is a tool. Enjoy your tool. Make sure you get enough protein and calcium, Forget about what MFP calculates as how much you should have. I had lap band and have the same issue. Enjoy your weight loss and work hard to keep it off. Congrats on the 17 pounds.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you checked out the groups on here? There is one for Bypass/sleeve/band etc. You might want ro check it out. I'm sure you would probably find a lot of information there. Good luck :wink:
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You do need to contact your physician because you don't know how big or small your gastric pouch is. Some weight gain after gastric bypass is expected because that gastric pouch will expand just like your normal stomach. You may have to supplement your eating w/ some nutritional drinks such as Boost or Ensure so that you don't get malnourished, if you are not able to eat regular amounts of food.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    This is a conversation you should be having with a Dr. or someone who specializes in G-bypass nutrition. If your concerned about iron levels or afraid you aren't getting enough essential nutrients, have some blood work done. If your energy level is fine and you are losing at a good rate and you feel satisfied, maybe 1000 is ok for you? If you are worried you aren't meeting "MFP settings" you can "customize" them to fit your needs. .
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    If it's a mental game that you're playing with yourself, where you don't want to "sabotage' yourself ... first I would remind you that eating calorie dense food on a deficit won't cause you to gain weight. But I also know it can sometimes be a control problem, where calorie dense foods can be scary because if you do overeat them they can do more "damage" to your deficit. I think it would be a good idea to start trying to choose calorie dense foods that fall under the category of "healthy". Try things like adding avocado to sandwiches, cooking with more olive oil, choosing full fat dairy products instead low fat or non-fat, etc.

If you gained some of the weight back, then at some point you were eating at a surplus. Think of how you were eating during that time. You don't want to go back to that, but it may give you some hints of the types of foods that you could add small/reasonable amounts of to get more calories.

Good luck!
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I am a person who has had a gastric bypass some years ago and was one of the persons who put some weight back on. Now I am on here and counting calories. Honestly, I know and have researched the science behind making sure that you are not under eating. But, when you literally do not have the space to put more food into your body, what then?

I have noticed a stark difference in my weight as I have only been on here since December and have lost 17 pounds. I don't eat badly but even when I put in my food choices and enter in all of the calories that I have on my plate, I may not get in but four to five bites and am full. What to do?

I also had bypass 10 years ago (sept 2003). Lost a ton. Then I had an emotionally rough year then had my son (turning 1 on Friday) and gained about 40 lbs. I've lost nearly 20 of it so far. I'm doing my damnedest to lose weight and it frustrates me when I see others who are dropping like 15 lbs a month or burning 300 calories doing a 20 minute walk. But I remind myself that everyone is different and unique.

But the other poster is right, talk to your doctor about it if you are really concerned. Obviously us GB patients have different systems and our bodies react differently than others. So talk to your dr and your nutritionist to see what they think.

Also, you can feel free to add me as a friend for like-minded support. :)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you checked out the groups on here? There is one for Bypass/sleeve/band etc. You might want ro check it out. I'm sure you would probably find a lot of information there. Good luck :wink:
    I agree about checking with your Doc. In the mean time though, go up to "groups" And type "bypass" in the search box. There are quite a few groups that might be of interest & informative for you.
  • Makeda1211
    Options
    Thank you all for all of your posts. I will definitely check out the group. I should also say that I have made the commitment to moving as well, which has been helpful in my pursuits.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    why not just eat mini meals 6 times a day instead of 3 squares?

ETA: I've not had gastric bypass, but when I am very, very stressed out 3 large meals make me sick. I had good results by eating 6 small meals a day. A typical day for me while I was in nursing school (classes were 6 hours a day, 2 days a week, clinical days were 12 hours a day 2 days a week. Every day whether it was clinical or classroom there was a written quiz that I had to make an 80% on to pass; and there was a 50% wash out rate. I also was a teacher's assistant and the secretary for the nursing department of the school, and on the weekends i worked 3 16 hour shifts in a row. needless to say, I was STRESSED!!) for example:

mini meal #1 1/2 an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter and string cheese (7 am)
    mini meal #2 1/2 tuna salad sandwich ( 1/2 can water packed canned tuna with a teaspoon of mayo and tablespoon chopped raw onions) and 1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    mini meal #3 1 cup of soup (any variety I felt like) and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    mini meal # 4 3 tablespoons hummus and 1 oz pretzels with the other half of apple I ate for the first meal
    mini meal # 5 the other 1/2 of tuna sandwich I had for meal 2 with 1/2 cup raw baby carrots
    mini meal # 6 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, fresh strawberries, 1 oz feta cheese with 1 cup raw spinach and 2 tablespoons raspberry vinigrette

I hope that helps.
  • Makeda1211
    Options
    I do eat smaller meals but when I do go to eat something, I will normally not be able to finish it before I am full. I think it is just the way my body has been rewired and I am truly psyching myself out.
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have recently gone through the surgery as well. Our nutritionist suggest that our calorie intake be between 800 to 1000 calories a day. They're biggest concern is that we are getting enough protein between 60 - 80 grams per day. Also I am taking multivitamins, vitamin D3, and calcium citrate each day to keep from becoming mineral deficient. Definitely talk with your doctor and make sure that you are being montiored so all of your numbers check out ok.
  • Makeda1211
    Options
    Thanks for that. I am doing a vitamin to get in my iron and I do believe that I am getting in enough protein as I tend to focus on that moreso than anything else.
  • chelscc1984
    Options
    I had the bypass almost 10 yrs ago, and I gained back 2/3 of my weight back. I started gaining after I was eating 1600 cal. a day then after being through some tough yrs I stopped paying attention to health. Now I work with my same surgeon and he admitted that after bypass your body adjusts to the lower caloric amount from the first yr so when you start eating normally your body will gain fat with less calories than an average person. Now he has me eating no more than 1200 cal. to lose weight again but I have to eat at least 60 grams of protein a day. Also I have to make sure I take all my vitamins and eat 4-5 small "meals" a day!! As long as I fulfill those requirements he wasn't concerned with my minimum caloric intake. Everyone is different but that's what my surgeon recommended based on my blood work.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You should go and chat with your doctor. We are not qualified to answer you properly,

I would ask yourself if you are full, do you need to eat more? Are you at your goal weight?

Remember you more than others need to eat little and often in order to get round the reduced capacity of your stomach.

If you doctor says that you should be eating more, you could try pureeing it. This defeats the object though - it is like the people who have this operation and drink lots of coke and they put weight on.

Maybe you are supposed to feel fuller quicker?
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Its for this exact reason that a considerable number of people who have bariatric surgery regain weight. You lose the weight so fast after surgery and effectively lose a considerable amount of muscle mass so your body regains the weight pretty easily.

You need to talk to a consultant or at least a doctor that understands the surgery you've had and the pit falls of maintenance after it.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

mini meal #1 1/2 an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter and string cheese (7 am)
    mini meal #2 1/2 tuna salad sandwich ( 1/2 can water packed canned tuna with a teaspoon of mayo and tablespoon chopped raw onions) and 1/2 cup steamed broccoli
    mini meal #3 1 cup of soup (any variety I felt like) and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    mini meal # 4 3 tablespoons hummus and 1 oz pretzels with the other half of apple I ate for the first meal
    mini meal # 5 the other 1/2 of tuna sandwich I had for meal 2 with 1/2 cup raw baby carrots
    mini meal # 6 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, fresh strawberries, 1 oz feta cheese with 1 cup raw spinach and 2 tablespoons raspberry vinigrette

I hope that helps.

That was very nice of you:flowerforyou:

Don't want to get off topic, but you never know WHO you are helping. I had forgotten how much better I felt when I ate like this. I too would split my lunch in two. (less thinking:tongue: )

Thank you so much, as now I will start this up again! I know I am going to feel so much better:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Its for this exact reason that a considerable number of people who have bariatric surgery regain weight. You lose the weight so fast after surgery and effectively lose a considerable amount of muscle mass so your body regains the weight pretty easily.

You need to talk to a consultant or at least a doctor that understands the surgery you've had and the pit falls of maintenance after it.

When someone I know gained back 50 pounds about 5 yrs post bypass, her doctor put her on strength training. She was lucky enuf to have her ins pay for some, and she could afford most of having a trainer. She would do some cardio, like 15 min to warm up, then do balance/strength training for an hour or so ever other day. By building back her muscles, she started to lose weight again.

Good luck to the OP:drinker: