Seeking Low Sugar, No Carb, High Calcium Breakfast Options

Options
I've been slowing cutting terrible things out of my diet. First I cut out processed carbs. Now I'd like to cut out processed sugars. The big problem is that I usually have a banana and a glass of Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk for breakfast. This alone almost puts me over for my daily sugar intake, but the almond milk is one of my only large sources of calcium. I need some more high calcium, low carb, low sugar options! Do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been told specifically by a nutritionist or healthcare professional, I wouldn't be so concerned about going over on the sugar that MFP sets.
  • tracytribes
    tracytribes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you can get calcium from dark greens and also supplement if you're concerned with your intake. My own opinion I would reduce sugar and add some protein. Do an egg scramble with spinach and mushrooms for instance. Also it's not bad to have fruit but maybe switch to something with lower GI impact like an apple or berries--listen to your body it'll tell you what it needs. http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/12-vegetables-high-in-calcium.html
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I suggest you ignore the numbers and consume food/drink in it's most natural state and if it works for you (energy good, losing fat, etc) it's good.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    you can have an egg white omelet with spinach, cheese, avocado and onions : ]

oh a turkey bacon, avocado lettuce wrap : ] - add cheese if you want

i usually have 1 or 2 fruits a day , and the rest of my carbs is beans or veggies and sometimes wild rice or qounia , my sugar intake is no higher then 30-40grams

i dont eat bread, pasta or soy
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been slowing cutting terrible things out of my diet. First I cut out processed carbs. Now I'd like to cut out processed sugars. The big problem is that I usually have a banana and a glass of Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk for breakfast. This alone almost puts me over for my daily sugar intake, but the almond milk is one of my only large sources of calcium. I need some more high calcium, low carb, low sugar options! Do you have any suggestions?

Metabolically speaking, what is the difference between let's say sucrose in an apple or that in a soda?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've been slowing cutting terrible things out of my diet. First I cut out processed carbs. Now I'd like to cut out processed sugars.

If you continue, pretty soon you won't have anything left to eat! Neither of those are "terrible" unless you eat too much of them. Instead of excluding food items completely, I would suggest that you do some research on macro-nutrients, set them up accordingly in your goals, and try to be close at the end of the day. Being carb heavy for breakfast isn't all that bad.
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Metabolically speaking, what is the difference between let's say sucrose in an apple or that in a soda?

I don't know the scientific answer to that. What I do know is that I used to be a sugar junkie - I'd have a soda and chcolate chip cookies for breakfast, pizza and a soda for lunch, and meat and a soda for dinner, probably followed by ice cream for dessert. I know myself well enough to know that I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. I can't just have one soda - I can't cheat at all or I will fall off the bandwagon and stuff my face for days. Therefore, I've simply chosen to cut out the processed sugar. There's a lot of argument about the health differences of processed and unprocessed sugar. I don't know who is right and who is wrong - but I do know that I feel a hell of a lot better since I cut down on processed sugars and I think it's a nice goal to cut them out completely!
  • notreallytrillian
    Options
    I've been slowing cutting terrible things out of my diet. First I cut out processed carbs. Now I'd like to cut out processed sugars.

If you continue, pretty soon you won't have anything left to eat! Neither of those are "terrible" unless you eat too much of them. Instead of excluding food items completely, I would suggest that you do some research on macro-nutrients, set them up accordingly in your goals, and try to be close at the end of the day. Being carb heavy for breakfast isn't all that bad.

People keep telling me that! But with all the meat, fruit, veggie, and dairy choices out there - I really haven't experienced it. One of my biggest problems is that I'm not a huge fan of cooking so finding pre-made or easy to throw together food that fits into those areas can be a challenge. I get more than enough protein, potassium, and fiber throughout the day and have had a lot more energy since I cut out processed carbs. I certainly don't plan on eliminating sugar all together since it's so many healthy fruits and some vegetables too. But I've felt healthier and have been losing weight this way. Lunch and dinner are always delicious now that I have a slow cooker - it's just breakfast that is stumping me!
  • notreallytrillian
    Options
    you can have an egg white omelet with spinach, cheese, avocado and onions : ]

oh a turkey bacon, avocado lettuce wrap : ] - add cheese if you want

i usually have 1 or 2 fruits a day , and the rest of my carbs is beans or veggies and sometimes wild rice or qounia , my sugar intake is no higher then 30-40grams

i dont eat bread, pasta or soy

Mmmmm, sounds yummy! We have a caffeteria at work that makes breakfast to order. I'll have to stop by tomorrow morning and see what veggies they have available to throw in an omlette. Thanks!
  • notreallytrillian
    Options
    you can get calcium from dark greens and also supplement if you're concerned with your intake. My own opinion I would reduce sugar and add some protein. Do an egg scramble with spinach and mushrooms for instance. Also it's not bad to have fruit but maybe switch to something with lower GI impact like an apple or berries--listen to your body it'll tell you what it needs. http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/12-vegetables-high-in-calcium.html

Berries - now there's one thing my diet lacks! An omlette looks like it might be my best option - thanks! Maybe I'll pick up some raspberries at the grocery store this weekend.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I don't know the scientific answer to that. What I do know is that I used to be a sugar junkie - I'd have a soda and chcolate chip cookies for breakfast, pizza and a soda for lunch, and meat and a soda for dinner, probably followed by ice cream for dessert. I know myself well enough to know that I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. I can't just have one soda - I can't cheat at all or I will fall off the bandwagon and stuff my face for days. Therefore, I've simply chosen to cut out the processed sugar. There's a lot of argument about the health differences of processed and unprocessed sugar. I don't know who is right and who is wrong - but I do know that I feel a hell of a lot better since I cut down on processed sugars and I think it's a nice goal to cut them out completely!

Sticking to your calorie goals is the most important thing. If you can cut out sugar and not feel deprived, then good for you. Most people can't stick to a plan if a whole group of food is cut out, this is why people quit after a few weeks.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    a can of sardines- no sugar, high calcium and protein, no carbs.