Weight plateau early on?

Options
I've been committed to MFP for the past 4 weeks and have lost 9 pounds (yay!) but my weight loss seems to have plateaued... Any thoughts about how to kickstart it again? Can't do much better with my eating at this point, but any great workouts I should try? Recommendations welcome!! :) Cara

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I fail to see where you have plateaus. Nine pounds in 4 weeks is good.

But how many calories are you eating? Do you exercise, if so what do you do?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's not a plateau.

keep working hard.
  • luperaz
    luperaz Posts: 26
    Options
    #1 advice do not sweat plateaus its just a fact of doing a weight loss plan sometimes they last a couple days or a couple weeks.
    Water, Water, Water. Also mix up your exercises and times, duration and intensity.
    I am also a firm believer that you should break your diet every 10 days or so sometimes we starve the body without knowing it and a high carb meal helps losing weight in the long term.
    Body confusion is key :)
    Everyone is different but this works for me.

Lou
  • robinr515
    Options
    I often go for two weeks or more without seeing a loss. Then I get on the scale and suddenly I'm down three or four pounds. I wouldn't consider myself in a plateau unless I'd gone for at least a month without seeing a change. I've also noticed that even if I am not losing pounds, I am still losing inches. Take your measurements and see where you are with that. I would ride it out for a while before getting worried.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You've lost 9 lbs in 4 weeks; this is not a plateau. (Congrats by the way). Weight loss is not linear and you will likely not see a loss on the scales every single week. There may be weeks when you see a gain, even when you think you've done everything "right". For me, I've found that I can stay the same for a couple of weeks in a row (with small daily fluctuations) and then suddenly drop a few pounds overnight. Your weight fluctuates anyway for lots of reasons - water retention from hormone fluctuations, more carbs than usual, more sodium than usual, a new exercise programme, or in crease in exercise intensity etc. Don't start to worry until you've had several weeks with not loss, no change in measurements, and conditions have been consistent. Otherwise, just be patient and keep at it!
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think just being consistent with what you're already doing ~ 9lbs in 4 weeks is amazing!!!
    :-)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    THE SAME ONE YOU JUST DID, BUT WAY HARDER!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You're averaging over 2lbs/week, which is A LOT of weight loss, especially considering you're not that big to begin with.

You have to realize two things: one, what plateau? 9 pounds in 4 weeks is great.

Two, as you get smaller the weight comes off slower. When you only have around 20 pounds to go, I'd seriously doubt that you'll see more than a pound loss in a week (possibly just a half pound). And that's ON AVERAGE. If you lose a pound one week, you might lose nothing the next. You have to look at the pattern over time

Basically, if you're happy with your routine now, keep at it. Good luck!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Not a plateau! 9 lbs in 4 weeks is awesome. Remember that weight loss is rarely linear so you may not see a loss every week. You may even gain some weeks, despite (literally) working your butt off. Stick to it. Keep working hard. If you look at weight loss over time it should be a downward trend in general if you're doing it right :smile:
  • clint_covey
    Options
    9 lbs in 4 weeks is great. If you're doing at least 20 minutes of intense exercise every day, your biggest advantage will come from the kitchen, not more exercise (although more exercise is good, to a point at least). If you haven't already, I recommend cutting ALL processed foods, dairy, added oils (a little olive or canola won't hurt), and salt from your diet. These items cause inflammation and keep the fat on.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    9 lbs in 4 weeks is great. If you're doing at least 20 minutes of intense exercise every day, your biggest advantage will come from the kitchen, not more exercise (although more exercise is good, to a point at least). If you haven't already, I recommend cutting ALL processed foods, dairy, added oils (a little olive or canola won't hurt), and salt from your diet. These items cause inflammation and keep the fat on.

Why cut dairy? Unless she has an allergy, cutting dairy will do nothing to affect weight loss pending calories are equivalent.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Switch up the exercise routine!

Try a new dvd, work out class, something new. That's how I broke my plateau in 2009.
  • benandme
    Options
    I've been committed to MFP for the past 4 weeks and have lost 9 pounds (yay!) but my weight loss seems to have plateaued... Any thoughts about how to kickstart it again? Can't do much better with my eating at this point, but any great workouts I should try? Recommendations welcome!! :) Cara

Girlie, I've been 3 months without a pound or inch lost. Congrats on the 9 pounds in 4 weeks! Over 2 pounds a week! Give it time.Drink a lot of water. Cardio is good for fat loss. Keep up the hard work!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Why cut dairy? Unless she has an allergy, cutting dairy will do nothing to affect weight loss pending calories are equivalent.

And oils can be a pretty healthy fat - good for your skin, hair, so forth. I think cutting anything in excess without reason is kind of silly, myself. I've lost weight (and inches around my midsection) eating all of those things in moderation
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing :) weight loss isn't consistent and some weeks you may not see the scale budge but find other ways to track your success (measuring, clothes fitting better, running further that week, more pushups this week than last week, you get the idea).
  • clint_covey
    Options

And oils can be a pretty healthy fat - good for your skin, hair, so forth. I think cutting anything in excess without reason is kind of silly, myself. I've lost weight (and inches around my midsection) eating all of those things in moderation

I'm sharing information which I know from personal experience helps. There is also a lot of science that says processed foods are not health promoting. I'm always surprised when people are defensive about the suggestion that one would be better off eating primarily whole foods. If one makes 90% of their calories come from whole plant foods (vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and seeds) they will without a doubt lose weight, rather quickly I might add, and become healthier. I personally lost 40 lbs in 10 weeks eating this way, never had to count calories, and never felt hungry. My digestive issues also disappeared (i.e. heartburn, constipation, etc...)

Of course there are other ways to lose weight that work. My personal experience with moderation is that I'm constantly hungry and the weight loss is relatively slow. Obviously counting calories works, I just don't believe it is the easiest or the healthiest way to eat.

If one is really interested in losing weight quickly and improving their health, I highly recommend looking into "Eat to Live".

I understand everyone has their opinion and experiences. I'm just sharing what worked very well for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I'm sharing information which I know from personal experience helps. There is also a lot of science that says processed foods are not health promoting. I'm always surprised when people are defensive about the suggestion that one would be better off eating primarily whole foods. If one makes 90% of their calories come from whole plant foods (vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and seeds) they will without a doubt lose weight, rather quickly I might add, and become healthier. I personally lost 40 lbs in 10 weeks eating this way, never had to count calories, and never felt hungry. My digestive issues also disappeared (i.e. heartburn, constipation, etc...)

Of course there are other ways to lose weight that work. My personal experience with moderation is that I'm constantly hungry and the weight loss is relatively slow. Obviously counting calories works, I just don't believe it is the easiest or the healthiest way to eat.

If one is really interested in losing weight quickly and improving their health, I highly recommend looking into "Eat to Live".

I understand everyone has their opinion and experiences. I'm just sharing what worked very well for me.

Why would you assume we are defensive? I was asking a simple question. And in my case, I believe more in science and studies done by reputable research facilities (NIH, etc..) as opposed to diet books (although, I did read the Paleo book as my wife has to be gluten free).

You probably had some allergy to dairy which is why you cleared up your intolerance. I am glad it worked for you but it is not a requirement for everyone. Now I do suggest to people that if calorie counting is failing, then they need to take it to the next step in cutting food groups to see if there is an undiagnosed intolerance.
  • SAveggie
    Options
    I was talking to a friend of mine about this today and she had an excellent explanation:

Fat is like dirt and your body is like your house. When cleaning your house (AKA losing weight) you'll find that some dirt is light and loose and comes off easily. Some dirt needs a bit of scrubbing and then you get those patches of grime that's been clogging on for years that need a lot of soaking & scrubbing (rinse & repeat) to get rid of it.

When you think you're on a plateau, your body is "soaking the grime" to get it off. Don't give up & keep focused. It will come off eventually and then it'll be gone for good!

Keep it up, you're doing great! :D
  • clint_covey
    Options

Why would you assume we are defensive? I was asking a simple question. And in my case, I believe more in science and studies done by reputable research facilities (NIH, etc..) as opposed to diet books (although, I did read the Paleo book as my wife has to be gluten free).

You probably had some allergy to dairy which is why you cleared up your intolerance. I am glad it worked for you but it is not a requirement for everyone. Now I do suggest to people that if calorie counting is failing, then they need to take it to the next step in cutting food groups to see if there is an undiagnosed intolerance.

Awesome! Here are some scientific papers to check out on the negative effects of dairy and processed foods.

12. Ma RW, Chapman K. A systematic review of the effect of diet in prostate cancer prevention and treatment. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2009 Jun;22(3):187-99; quiz 200-2. Epub 2009 Apr 1.
    Kurahashi N, Inoue M, Iwasaki M. Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study Group. Dairy product, saturated fatty acid, and calcium intake and prostate cancer in a prospective cohort of Japanese men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr;17(4):930-7.
    Allen NE, Key TJ, Appleby PN, et al. Animal foods, protein, calcium and prostate cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Br J Cancer. 2008 May 6;98(9):1574-81. Epub 2008 Apr 1.
    Ahn J, Albanes D, Peters U et al. Dairy products, calcium intake, and risk of prostate cancer in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial. Cancer
    Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Dec;16(12):2623-30. Qin LQ, Xu JY, Wang PY, et al. Milk consumption is a risk factor for prostate cancer in Western countries: evidence from cohort studies. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16(3):467-76.
    13. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Ma J, et al. Dairy products, calcium, and prostate cancer risk in the Physicians Health Study. Presenta- tion, American Association for Cancer Research, San Francisco, April 2000.
    14. Bosetti C, Tzonou A, Lagiou P, et al. Fraction of prostate cancer attributed to diet in Athens, Greece. Eur J Cancer Prev 2000;9(2):119-23.
    15. Tseng M, Breslow RA, Graubard BI, Ziegler RG. Dairy, calcium and vitamin D intakes and prostate cancer risk in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Epidemiologic Follow-up Study cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;(81)1147-54.
    16. Park S, Murphy S, Wilkens L, Stram D et al. Calcium, Vitamin D, and Dairy Product Intake and Prostate Cancer Risk: The Multiethnic Cohort Study. Am J Epid. 2007; 166(11)1259-1269.
    17. Ganmaa D, Sato A. The possible role of female sex hormones in milk from pregnant cows in the development of breast, ovarian and corpus uteri cancers. Med Hypotheses. 2005;65(6):1028-37.
    Genkinger JM, Hunter DJ, Spiegelman D, et al. Dairy products and ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of 12 cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 Feb;15(2):364-72.
    Larsson SC, Orsini N, Wolk A. Milk, milk products and lactose intake and ovarian cancer risk: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Int J Cancer. 2006 Jan 15;118(2):431-41.
    Qin LQ, Xu JY, Wang PY, et al. Milk/dairy products consumption, galactose metabolism and ovarian cancer: meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2005 Feb;14(1):13-9. Larsson SC, Bergkvist L, Wolk A. Milk and lactose intakes and ovarian cancer risk in the Swedish Mammography Cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Nov;80(5):1353-7. Fairfield KM, Hunter DJ, Colditz GA, et al. A prospective study of dietary lactose and ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer. 2004 Jun 10;110(2):271-7.
    18. Fairfield K.Annual Meeting of the Society for General Internal Medicine. Dairy products linked to ovarian cancer risk. Family Practice News, June 11, 2000, p. 8.
    19. Keszei AP, Schouten LJ, Goldbohm RA, et al. Dairy Intake and the Risk of Bladder Cancer in the Netherlands Cohort Study on Diet and Cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print]
    20. van der Pols JC, Bain C, Gunnell D, et al. Childhood dairy intake and adult cancer risk: 65-y follow-up of the Boyd Orr cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Dec;86(6):1722-9.
    21. Davies TW, Palmer CR, Ruja E, Lipscombe JM. Adoles- cent milk, dairy products and fruit consumption and testicular cancer. Br J Cancer 1996;74 (4):657-60.
    22. Voskuil DW, Vrieling A, van?t Veer LJ, Kampman E, Rookus MA. The insulin-like growth factor system in cancer prevention: potential of dietary intervention strategies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005(14)195-203.
    23. Cohen P. Serum insulin-like growth factor 1 levels and prostate cancer risk- interpreting the evidence. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998(90)876-9.
    24. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, et al. Plasma insulin-like growth factor -1 and prostate risk: a prospective study. Science. 1998(279):563-5.
    25. Scharlau D, Borowicki A, Habermann N, et al. Mechanisms of primary cancer prevention by butyrate and other products formed during gut flora-mediated fermentation of dietary fibre. Mutat Res. 2009 Jul-Aug;682(1):39-53.
    Bordonaro M, Lazarova DL, Sartorelli AC. Butyrate and Wnt signaling: a possible solution to the puzzle of dietary fiber and colon cancer risk? Cell Cycle. 2008 May 1;7(9):1178-83.
    Pisani P. Hyper-insulinaemia and cancer, meta-analyses of epidemiological studies. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2008 Feb;114(1):63-70.
    La Vecchia C, D"Avanzo B, Negri E, Franceschi S. History of selected diseases and the risk of colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer 1991; 27: 582-6. Schoen RE, Tangen CM, Kuller LH, et al. Increased blood glucose and insulin, body size, and incident colorectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 1147-54.
    26. La Vecchia C. Mediterranean diet and cancer. Public Health Nutr. 2004 Oct;7(7):965-8
    Larsson SC, Bergkvist L, Wolk A. Glycemic load, glycemic index and breast cancer risk in a prospective cohort of Swedish women. Int J Cancer. 2009 Jul 1;125(1):153-7.
    Wen W, Shu XO, Li H, et al. Dietary carbohydrates, fiber, and breast cancer risk in Chinese women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;89(1):283-9. Franceschi, S., Favero A, Conti E, et al. Food groups, oils and butter, and cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx. Br. J. Cancer 1999; 80 (3-4): 614-20;
  • psuLemon
    Options

Awesome! Here are some scientific papers to check out on the negative effects of dairy and processed foods.

12. Ma RW, Chapman K. A systematic review of the effect of diet in prostate cancer prevention and treatment. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2009 Jun;22(3):187-99; quiz 200-2. Epub 2009 Apr 1.
    Kurahashi N, Inoue M, Iwasaki M. Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study Group. Dairy product, saturated fatty acid, and calcium intake and prostate cancer in a prospective cohort of Japanese men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Apr;17(4):930-7.
    Allen NE, Key TJ, Appleby PN, et al. Animal foods, protein, calcium and prostate cancer risk: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Br J Cancer. 2008 May 6;98(9):1574-81. Epub 2008 Apr 1.
    Ahn J, Albanes D, Peters U et al. Dairy products, calcium intake, and risk of prostate cancer in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial. Cancer
    Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Dec;16(12):2623-30. Qin LQ, Xu JY, Wang PY, et al. Milk consumption is a risk factor for prostate cancer in Western countries: evidence from cohort studies. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16(3):467-76.
    13. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Ma J, et al. Dairy products, calcium, and prostate cancer risk in the Physicians Health Study. Presenta- tion, American Association for Cancer Research, San Francisco, April 2000.
    14. Bosetti C, Tzonou A, Lagiou P, et al. Fraction of prostate cancer attributed to diet in Athens, Greece. Eur J Cancer Prev 2000;9(2):119-23.
    15. Tseng M, Breslow RA, Graubard BI, Ziegler RG. Dairy, calcium and vitamin D intakes and prostate cancer risk in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Epidemiologic Follow-up Study cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;(81)1147-54.
    16. Park S, Murphy S, Wilkens L, Stram D et al. Calcium, Vitamin D, and Dairy Product Intake and Prostate Cancer Risk: The Multiethnic Cohort Study. Am J Epid. 2007; 166(11)1259-1269.
    17. Ganmaa D, Sato A. The possible role of female sex hormones in milk from pregnant cows in the development of breast, ovarian and corpus uteri cancers. Med Hypotheses. 2005;65(6):1028-37.
    Genkinger JM, Hunter DJ, Spiegelman D, et al. Dairy products and ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of 12 cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006 Feb;15(2):364-72.
    Larsson SC, Orsini N, Wolk A. Milk, milk products and lactose intake and ovarian cancer risk: a meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Int J Cancer. 2006 Jan 15;118(2):431-41.
    Qin LQ, Xu JY, Wang PY, et al. Milk/dairy products consumption, galactose metabolism and ovarian cancer: meta-analysis of epidemiological studies. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2005 Feb;14(1):13-9. Larsson SC, Bergkvist L, Wolk A. Milk and lactose intakes and ovarian cancer risk in the Swedish Mammography Cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Nov;80(5):1353-7. Fairfield KM, Hunter DJ, Colditz GA, et al. A prospective study of dietary lactose and ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer. 2004 Jun 10;110(2):271-7.
    18. Fairfield K.Annual Meeting of the Society for General Internal Medicine. Dairy products linked to ovarian cancer risk. Family Practice News, June 11, 2000, p. 8.
    19. Keszei AP, Schouten LJ, Goldbohm RA, et al. Dairy Intake and the Risk of Bladder Cancer in the Netherlands Cohort Study on Diet and Cancer. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print]
    20. van der Pols JC, Bain C, Gunnell D, et al. Childhood dairy intake and adult cancer risk: 65-y follow-up of the Boyd Orr cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Dec;86(6):1722-9.
    21. Davies TW, Palmer CR, Ruja E, Lipscombe JM. Adoles- cent milk, dairy products and fruit consumption and testicular cancer. Br J Cancer 1996;74 (4):657-60.
    22. Voskuil DW, Vrieling A, van?t Veer LJ, Kampman E, Rookus MA. The insulin-like growth factor system in cancer prevention: potential of dietary intervention strategies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2005(14)195-203.
    23. Cohen P. Serum insulin-like growth factor 1 levels and prostate cancer risk- interpreting the evidence. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998(90)876-9.
    24. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci E, et al. Plasma insulin-like growth factor -1 and prostate risk: a prospective study. Science. 1998(279):563-5.
    25. Scharlau D, Borowicki A, Habermann N, et al. Mechanisms of primary cancer prevention by butyrate and other products formed during gut flora-mediated fermentation of dietary fibre. Mutat Res. 2009 Jul-Aug;682(1):39-53.
    Bordonaro M, Lazarova DL, Sartorelli AC. Butyrate and Wnt signaling: a possible solution to the puzzle of dietary fiber and colon cancer risk? Cell Cycle. 2008 May 1;7(9):1178-83.
    Pisani P. Hyper-insulinaemia and cancer, meta-analyses of epidemiological studies. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2008 Feb;114(1):63-70.
    La Vecchia C, D"Avanzo B, Negri E, Franceschi S. History of selected diseases and the risk of colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer 1991; 27: 582-6. Schoen RE, Tangen CM, Kuller LH, et al. Increased blood glucose and insulin, body size, and incident colorectal cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 1147-54.
    26. La Vecchia C. Mediterranean diet and cancer. Public Health Nutr. 2004 Oct;7(7):965-8
    Larsson SC, Bergkvist L, Wolk A. Glycemic load, glycemic index and breast cancer risk in a prospective cohort of Swedish women. Int J Cancer. 2009 Jul 1;125(1):153-7.
    Wen W, Shu XO, Li H, et al. Dietary carbohydrates, fiber, and breast cancer risk in Chinese women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;89(1):283-9. Franceschi, S., Favero A, Conti E, et al. Food groups, oils and butter, and cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx. Br. J. Cancer 1999; 80 (3-4): 614-20;

How about you try to post information from the studies instead of the references from the book.