How did you learn to use weights?

Options
I want to add resistance training as all I do at the moment is cardio which I know is terrible etc.

When you first started weight training how did you learn to use the different weights and do the right exercises/right form etc? I can't really afford a personal trainer.

My plan at the moment is to start body pump classes as they use free weights and then hopefully that'll teach me what to do - is this a good plan?

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    A lot of reading
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    youtube videos are FREE and readily available...

also, many people in the gym will help... you can also ask the workers int he gym to show you how to properly use a machine, dont need a personal trainer for that
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ive only been weight training on the machines for a few weeks... I took my first body pump Class on Monday... it KICKED my butt but I loved every second of it...
  • orangekeeper
    orangekeeper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A lot of reading

^^^ This.

There are plenty more people on here who know much more than I do, but when I was trying to figure stuff out I generally looked into how to perform each exercise that I was planning to do and also good form... Would videos like these help? http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • rharredo
    Options
    I took a basic four week course at my local rec center. It was twice a week for about four weeks. most everyone was a beginner. I had never lifted weights before and this taught me the basics of each machine, the muscle group to use, how to set a plan, etc. try and see if your local recereation center has something like that. Otherwise, youtube has great helps and beginner videos.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Google/Youtube/Forum stalking.

I'm doing the 5x5 Stronglift program.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has videos that demo how to do things. You can search my muscle group or they have a "Find A Plan" section where you can get routines to do. I did the Jamie Eason Live Fit and lost a good bit. That one is a 12-week program..
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i was lucky because my ex boyfriend's dad is a bodybuilder. he taught me everything i know and i can see results after just a few weeks.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I found YouTube videos from more serious uploaders, there are lots of pages with good instructions to read - VERY important; I learnt to feel/see the difference between good and bad form even if I work out at home.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Read "Starting Strength"
    youtube search "so you think you can squat"
    video yourself and post links for people to check your form
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Started lifting before the internet was readily available. I read and had a friend that was very big into body building. He had tons of books too.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    reading, using a trainer and watching people in the gym
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My dad taught me when I was a teenager. He wanted to get in shape and I needed to as well. He took me to the gym at his work (free) with him when he knew there wouldn't be a lot of people there. He showed me how to use the machines and gave tips occasionally. Some machines were more difficult to adjust to fit me properly because I'm so short (5foot--the chest press ones never "fit" me--not because of my chest, but because you're supposed to press straight out and for me it becomes up and out instead), but others I found I really enjoyed. Most machines have pictures on them that show how to use them and what muscle groups they target, so they were easy to figure out.

I fell out of it when we stopped going and when I went to college. I walked so much on campus that I didn't really gain--until I moved off campus. I gained living off campus because I didn't walk as much and I didn't eat as well.

Then my schedule changed and I ended up with 1-2 hours to kill in the middle of my M, W, F days on campus but I didn't want to leave campus. (Finding parking for afternoon classes is impossible. I didn't want to give up my nice morning parking spot.) Instead of leaving campus for lunch, I ended up killing time at the campus gym. SO would meet me there, even though he only had T, Th, F classes.

I remembered the things my dad had taught me and just did whatever I wanted/felt like I needed to do. I hated running, but always did 15-20 minutes of that first because I knew it's good for your heart. Then I basically did at least one machine for each muscle group. Machines I enjoyed (like the lat pull down, or the ab crunch I often spent a little extra time on). I gradually increased the weight on each machine over time. I liked the pull down even though I often had to jump to initially grab the bar--prompting chuckles from anyone watching me. So would spend the whole time on the elliptical, alternation between watching TV and me.

After gym, SO would drive us over to Wendy's or we'd head to the cafeteria, and then he'd drop me off back on campus for my afternoon classes.

That's the last time I really felt healthy and fit. SO (now hubby) was in a lot better shape then too. I gained after college, thanks to high stress, poor diet, and lack of exercise. I tried a gym in the "real world" but it was a hassle to go there and I never felt like I fit in. Having a buddy (dad then SO) was nice. I was more consistent then.

My goal is now to get back to where I was then. Right now I've been having success with walking/jogging and counting calories. I know to take it to the next level and really make progress though, I'll need to find a way to strength train effectively at home. As of this past week, I've been paying myself $1 per mile with the intention of maybe treating myself to a Total Gym by the end of the year. I made $4 each day this week so far. Assuming $800 for a purchase from Amazon, it will take me about 200 days.

Alternative to the equipment, I'd like a puppy.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    videos that focus on strength training in a not too fast setting. And watching the instructors carefully for form, and simply know where my muscles were and whether whatever I was doing was targeting them.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I took a weight training class at a local college. cheaper than a personal trainer and you learn a lot. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I learned back when I was a freshman in high school. A very kind senior who was on the wrestling team gently offered to help when he saw me trying to bench press incorrectly. He then showed me how to deadlift and do curls. I can't remember his name anymore, or even his face, but I will always remember his actions. It made me think more highly of the wrestlers than of the football players. lol
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Crossfit with proper trainers. I'd taken a course in college, and used nautilus since high school, but at Crossfit I learned the true value of free weights and how to do things like proper deadlifts and weighted squats without damaging myself. But they weren't just crossfit trainers, they were proper physical trainers with a lot of impressive credentials. I had a severe back injury when I started, so I did my homework. They got me strong not only without injury, but taught me the moves to stay injury free.

Read up, watch videos, but don't doubt the value of an educated and relaxed eye watching you move. It will catch things your maxed out, wobbly, uneducated eye will miss in the mirror.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I took a weight training class in college. And I did a boot camp at the gym for a long time and we used free weights - the instructor was great about making sure we used proper form. Now I just workout at the gym on my own - but I did 10 sessions with a personal trainer and she showed me how to use the machines correctly.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Lots of reading and research. When I was ready to take the plunge, I bought the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." Great book, great program. To achieve the greatest benefits you do need a gym membership. There's a group of women here on MFP that follow this program. It provides great support. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Here's another general one for women:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

Congratulations on making the wise decision to incorporate strength training into your fitness plan! You won't be sorry.