Just a wondering about labelled calories...

Options
DJH510
DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
I just thought, does anyone on here know if the labeled calorie total is always for ALL of the contents of the pack?? For example if you bought a curry and it says 750 calories, do you reckon that includes every last drop of curry sauce?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Usually labels list a serving size at the very top (often in smaller print), and then the calories listed are per serving
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You would have to weigh it. I recently found out theat tha calories are based on the minimum legal weight for and item. For example, if it says 1pkg(56g) =200cals you would want to weigh the product and make sure it is 56g. FYI most prepackaged meals/products are usually underestimated by as much as 15%. Beware those crafty lables.
  • DJH510
    Options
    heh, figures!
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I found a flavoured milk drink that stated- serving size 100ml, then gave all the values for the 100ml, OK. But the carton was 330ml, which most people would drink in one go- just like a pepsi/coke can!!
    Also what annoys me is the small print used, I know some packs are small and there's not much room, but sometimes I feel I should take a magnifying glass with me when I go Shopping. :grumble:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    What is a curry? It sounds yummy. :) I weigh all my food so often, that I can almost tell the correct portion sizes when I'm out. You could look up curry online and see what the typical weight of the serving size is and figure the calories from there.
  • DJH510
    Options
    Lol seriously no one has heard of curry!? its prettymuch the national cuisine of india, very popular in the UK! but very calorific as well!