something I saw on FB

Options
" The key to eating healthy? Never eat a food that has a commercial for it".

HOW TRUE!!!!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I"ve seen commercials for milk, meat and produce though... so I wouldn't say the saying is totally true.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    But there are commercials for chiquita bananas all the time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

HOW TRUE!!!!

I've seen commercials for Perdue, Egglands Best, Grass Fed Beef, Kashi, Florida's Best Orange Juice, various yogurts, peanut butter, various cereal companies who produce fine cereals, and beer amongst other things. This is a facebook advice fail.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    facebook_like_button_big.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But there are commercials for chiquita bananas all the time.

/end thread. Bananas!
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    This is why you don't listen to FB :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I know that Kashi go lean has some ads and almonds
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's true that NEVER is too strong a word in this case, but I think the point is that MOST food commercials are for processed crap or restaurants/fast food chains that serve processed crap. I think a better way of putting it would be, "Never trust an advertising campaign to give you heatlhy eating tips."
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options

HOW TRUE!!!!

i guess its true. but, some foods, like strawberries are great for you. I think , i've seen commercials for strawberries and other fruits. What I think would be more exact would be to not eat anything that is prepackaged, cooked, prepared and has commercials. prepackaged-prepared foods are poison. commercialized-foods are, for the most part, poison. They are intended to make you crave. Food companies have scientists and psychologists working to make you want their poison. Healthy foods do not make you crave. So, commercialized foods won't use healthy food to make you crave their product. commercialized foods have a tendency to be laced with starch or fat or something that sends signals to the reptilian part of the brain (the hypothalamus) to reward the eater by releasing endorphins ( feel good hormones basically morphine) and give pleasure to the eater for eating unhealthy fattening foods.

people are basically addicted to carbs, starch and fat because of that mechanism in the body.
    So, next time you catch yourself thinking, "I love this food", or " I must eat this food", or "this is so delicious its like an orgasm", realize that the food is activating the hypothalamus to release endorphins and you are reacting to that. this is basically how all animals select food at an instinctive level.
  • BrenWOW
    BrenWOW Posts: 95
    Options
    Ok Ok I knew everyone would start correcting- There are way more commercials for unhealthy food than eggs and strawberries.
  • cargilb
    Options
    Ok Ok I knew everyone would start correcting- There are way more commercials for unhealthy food than eggs and strawberries.

true. there are a lot more commercials for unhealthy foods than good foods that are low calorie foods.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I would say that would apply more to coupons than commercials!
  • cargilb
    Options
    Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

nothing worng with lettuce pickles, onions, but i don't know about the special sauce, the bun, and whether the "all beef" patties are really all beef.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    its a good idea and i would have to modify it by saying "dont eat anything you see a commercial for more than 1X per hour"... that cuts out all fast foods and pretty much just leaves the healthy stuff
  • justlittlem
    Options
    I guess thats no more Spongebob for me =/.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

That's true but it still doesn't make your original statement true.
    Plus I'm not a "never" type person. Eat it infrequently, yes. Never, no. Unless I don't like it.
  • cargilb
    Options

That's true but it still doesn't make your original statement true.
    Plus I'm not a "never" type person. Eat it infrequently, yes. Never, no. Unless I don't like it.

that was a facebook statement, not her statement. she was asking how true it was. :happy:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

HOW TRUE!!!!
    Couldn't be less true.
    Eggs, cheese, fruit, milk, beef, pork, fish, olives, pickles, the list is endless, so a useless platitude.
    Facebook is all about commercials so don't use facebook.