New to running

Options
Raphi
Raphi Posts: 124 Member
I'm starting this thread to see if there are other new runners out there, so that we can share tips, motivation, and maybe a little bit of whining :laugh:
Experienced runners are welcome too! You can share your wisdom with us!

I'm all new to this... right now, I alternate running for 3 mins and walking for 3 mins for 24 mins. I'm meeting a trainer on Monday... stay tuned :)

Replies

• cherylcole15
    Options
    Sounds like a good regime!

I started running for the first time ever nearly 2 weeks ago. On the first day I barely got 100 yards and I couldn't go any further. Now I can do 40-50mins without stopping which feels like a huge achievement.

My tip is to just keep going very very slowly. Even if you feel like you could walk faster than you are running this is how I did it and now I don't feel intimidated or afraid of continuous running. You're making a really good start though, you'll notice a change very soon.

Good luck.
  • bella71
    bella71 Posts: 4
    Options
    Congrats on your new running regime. I am also a new funner. I am following the "Couch to 5K" Program. It's a 9 week training program designed to get you from couch potato to 5K runner (or running 30 minutes continuously). It's free, and you can find it at www.c25k.com. Good Luck!
  • woody717
    woody717 Posts: 5
    Options
    In the last two months I have worked my way from running about 100yards per time to a full 10K. Your doing the right thing by running for as long as you can and then walking (dont stop!). I am doing 3 times per weekto try and avoid injury. And each time you do it try to run a little further than the last time. I set up little mini goals up in my head like "I'm gonna make that next mailbox , next time" Then do it. I got up to 2 miles pretty quickly and expanded that each week by a little bit.

Oh and once I made it running my route the first time it seemed like it was a great triumph and it was but the next time was the hardest ever (i was stubborn and wouldn't walk after I made it once!)

Hope that helps! Plenty of water before and after....

Woody