Gaining Weight?!

Options
Hey guys! So I'm getting really frustrated. I've been eating healthily since January 1st (been doing it for a lot longer but my healthy mentality was shot during the holidays so I started over for the new year), but I appear to have gained weight? I cut out breads and dairy products and focused on eating a lot of tuna and eggs, not to mention I've been running/doing pilates 5 times a week, and I've gone from 137lbs to 140. I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong.
MFP is telling me to eat 1200 calories to lose weight, so that's what I've been doing. But my BMR is around 1600 and a few others have told me not to eat less than my BMR if I want to lose weight. And then after researching the calorie count of Victoria's Secret Models, they're eating around 1200cals on average too... so I honestly have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing at this point. I keep hearing different numbers from everyone and I'm gaining weight, so I'm confused. I've lost 15lbs over the summer, but what I was doing before isn't working now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Its probably just water retention. How does your sodium intake look? Also, changing your exercise routine can cause it as well. 3 lbs in 9 days is not a fat gain unless you are just going crazy.

Eat low sodium and drink plenty of water for a few days and you'll lose weight suddenly.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My sodium intake might be the issue. I've been eating a lot of canned tuna and canned soup, so that might be it. I try to drink around 12cups of water a day though. Around what number would be considered 'low sodium'?
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements?
    If you're exercising then your body is building muscle, which weighs more than fat.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I bet it's the sodium in the tuna and soup. I try to avoid them even though they are yummy tasting.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I would start by trying to stay under 2500 mg. Its actually kinda hard to do - especially if you use a salt shaker.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements?
    If you're exercising then your body is building muscle, which weighs more than fat.

You're not gaining 3 lbs of muscle in 9 days.

It's most likely fluid retention from increased exercise and higher sodium foods. OP why are you cutting out whole food groups? You really don't need to do that, just stick to your macros and your calorie goal.

Also I would say that Victoria's Secret models might not be the best source of good nutrition information. MFP has given you the lowest possible calorie goal, which means you probably asked to lose 2 lbs per week. Given your weight that's too steep of a deficit. Try resetting it for 1 lb/week. How tall are you?
  • kaittea
    Options
    I never add salt to anything, but I'll definitely start watching the sodium in all my canned food. Boo. I don't have a measuring tape, also! I'll have to invest in one of those. Thanks for the advice.
  • kaittea
    Options
    It wasn't meant to be a permanent thing, just a 10 day challenge, but I stopped that today because clearly it wasn't working for me haha.
    I'm 5'5".
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Lots of sodium in what you're eating. Also - you're eating all those exercise calories, right?
  • imsmonica
    imsmonica Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can track your sodium like you do calories, fat, etc. Just change your diary settings. I did that a week ago and what a shocker it was to see how many extra mg I was consuming. I have mostly cut out the worst offenders, which included canned soups and deli meats.
  • kaittea
    Options
    Lots of sodium in what you're eating. Also - you're eating all those exercise calories, right?
    I'm trying to, but I have a really hard time meeting my calorie count as it is. When I heard I should be eating more than 1,200, I could manage like 1,400 maximum and I always felt like I'm completely STUFFING myself to try and reach it. Now that I can't eat tuna or canned soup I'm going to struggle even more to meet the count. :/
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    You can rinse tuna which lowers the salt content. I use Mortons Lite Salt. Has potassium which helps with water weight.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to, but I have a really hard time meeting my calorie count as it is. When I heard I should be eating more than 1,200, I could manage like 1,400 maximum and I always felt like I'm completely STUFFING myself to try and reach it. Now that I can't eat tuna or canned soup I'm going to struggle even more to meet the count. :/

Peanut butter, natural of course.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I never add salt to anything, but I'll definitely start watching the sodium in all my canned food. Boo. I don't have a measuring tape, also! I'll have to invest in one of those. Thanks for the advice.

Find a cheap sewing kit for an easy measuring tape!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You can still eat them. Just be aware that sodium can mask weight loss.

Add calorie dense foods. Avocado, nuts (I like cashews but they're higher in fat), olive oil, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If your BMR is 1600 or even close, you need to eat more. You really want fat loss, not muscle loss and if you stick with 1200 calories, I can 100% guarantee you muscle loss. With as little as you weigh, you should determine your TDEE, cut 20% and start heavy weight training. And never model yourself after a super model.
  • kaittea
    Options
    If your BMR is 1600 or even close, you need to eat more. You really want fat loss, not muscle loss and if you stick with 1200 calories, I can 100% guarantee you muscle loss. With as little as you weigh, you should determine your TDEE, cut 20% and start heavy weight training. And never model yourself after a super model.
    I just calculated my TDEE, and 20% of that is 1828. I'm supposed to eat THAT MUCH? holy cow...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just calculated my TDEE, and 20% of that is 1828. I'm supposed to eat THAT MUCH? holy cow...

Yep.... and once you do, you will be amazed at the results you can get if you are training hard. BTW, you really should drop some of the cardio and pick up heavy weights and do a program like strong lift 5x5. You will see much greater body changes when you do programs like this than steady state cardio like running.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight then you were easily eating more than that. Throw out whatever idea you have as to what a "diet" allows you to eat. You don't have to live on tuna and soup. Eat good food. Don't be afraid of fats. Cut out the junk. Log log log.
  • sheimane
    Options

I watch sodium like a hawk! I avoid canned and processed foods like the plague!