Seeking Scuba Divers

Options
I'm working to lose weight so that I can finally go diving! I got my certification in 2010, but was diagnosed with a weight related heart condition less than a month after being given my license. I can't dive until I get it taken care of, and taking care of it means losing weight!!!

I've also realized while working out (swimming is my exercise of choice, of course) that my lung capacity is absolutely shot. I used to have a nice set when I was in high school (did marching band for YEARS), but now I can barely make five crawl strokes without taking a breath. I need to keep working to lose weight and get healthier! Even if I do get cleared to dive, with such poor lung capacity I'd probably suck in my entire air tank in no time at all.

TL:DNR - I'm seeking scuba divers for friends!

Replies

• trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Scuba diver here!!!!!

I am getting in shape so that I can have longer dives times so I am not using up air so quickly :) Best of luck to you, feel free to add me!
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    tpfoodie, we are already friends. I mean if any other Scuba'ers want to add me :smile:
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Hi, I so understand. I went to Cozumel in 2010 with hubby and could not dive due to anemia and being obese. I had to have abdominal surgery a month later. It has taken me a long time to start getting it together. I lost 35 lbs last year and went on a dive in September. I started lifting weights and that really helped for me to scuba dive. It was so fun to be in the water again.
  • rclk2
    rclk2 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love scuba diving! I don't get the opportunity very often, but I'm off to Australia this summer and can't wait to explore the Great Barrier Reef!

I used to be a swimmer when I was younger too, and although my fitness and lung capacity aren't nearly what they were, it's actually relatively easy to improve if you just stick with it. My dad is 55 and has bad asthma, and thanks to lots of running and cardio in the last ten years he can make a tank of air last far longer than he used to, and he's catching up with me. Good luck, it's great you have such a positive goal to aim for!
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump for more Scuba buddies!
  • elizabethjeanne8387
    Options
    I went scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef in 2008. It was amazing...you will love it!
  • SAveggie
    Options
    I'm doing my introductory course this weekend - really looking forward to it!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Swimming with the fishies is the best!! (And not in the Iatlian Mob Boss kinda way either). Every time I dive I think about how I'm doing something that probably 95% of the people in the world will only ever see on TV or in their office photo calendar.

It is amazing what getting into shape will not only give you for lung capacity, but the confidence to control your body movements better as well. Long dives are all about efficiency of movements and minimizing them so you don't start sucking down air. Your next dive trip will be a great reward for a job well done!
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I look forward to losing with you! :)
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I love scuba! It's been too long since I've been, but definitely want to get back to it.

If you want to improve your breathing and lung capacity, you might try one of the powerlung products (get the model with the least resistance...you have to build up to the other ones). My pulmonary patients who use this, like it, and get good results. Singing as loudly as you can (think opera style, from your gut -- but you can sing anything) can also be helpful for some people.