Have you thrown out your teflon pans?

Options
Have you gotten rid of your teflon pans?

If so what are you using to cook with, what are you using besides tons of oil to keep the food from sticking, or do you think this anti-teflon craze is crazy!

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I threw out my grill because I heard the char marks are cancerous.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I use my Teflon pans in my death-ray-box.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

My death-ray-box usually freaks out if I put metal in it (well it would if it weren't broken right now). So for now I just use my teflon pans on my stovetop...
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I never heard about a problem with them - love the non-stick surface and will keep using them unless good evidence to the contrary - I have lived through the "eggs are bad for you - they are full of cholesterol" to the "we were wrong, eggs aren't really bad for you!" and many many more, so I don't scare at the first "study" or test. What is the deal with teflon?
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any in years. I do all of my cooking in stainless steel or cast iron.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I have one small skillet for eggs with a non-stick coating. As soon as it scratches, I buy a new one. I dunno if it's paranoia or not.

The rest of my pans are Revere Ware. The. Best. Ever.

I've had them for twenty five years, my mother had them all her life. They are really easy to clean...still stick a tiny bit, but, meh.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I use either french carbon steel or stainless steel, but I prefer the french steel. The french steel is similar to what a traditional Chinese wok is made from and after repeated uses it develops a non stick surface similar to a cast iron pan, which I also use. I have a french steel exclusively for egg prep and 2 12" ones and a couple of 9". Oil is something I use for culinary purposes as opposed to the theory less is better. I use olive oil, butter, duck fat, bacon fat, coconut oil in no particular order and has to do with what I'm cooking.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Cast Iron ftw.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My wife got me one of those cook with no oil ceramic pans for Christmas. So far I've been unimpressed. Maybe I'm just not doing it right. I also got a 14" skillet from a relative that has some kind of teflon'ish coating on it and I like that a lot. I cook meals for 6 of us and I like cooking extra for leftovers for my lunches so that's why the big pan.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I use stainless steel because i like the way they cook and they're so easy to clean. Id love cast iron but with my Rheumatoid Arthritis, i have trouble picking them up and holding them. So i stick to stainless steel
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Gotta die somehow....USE THEM NONSTICK PANS!
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I haven't had any in years. I do all of my cooking in stainless steel or cast iron.

Have one 8" teflon I rarely use. Have a 12" and 8" well seasoned cast iron I use 90% of the time. No sticking problems with anything, cooks even and easy clean up. I use a lot of cast (lots of outdoor cooking) and all my stuff is quality stuff over 50 years old. Newer, cheaper stuff doesn't work as well, you do get what you pay for with cast iron (unless you get lucky at an auction). The rest of the time I use stainless with copper bottoms, also work very well (but love the cast), mostly pots versus frying pans.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

My death-ray-box usually freaks out if I put metal in it (well it would if it weren't broken right now). So for now I just use my teflon pans on my stovetop...

When your vagina shrinks enough, you'll be good to go. Although sadly, that thread disappeared. At least the death-ray-box thread is still around.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Me too.

My pans, both stainless steel and cast iron are well seasoned so they are non-stick.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    because of polyfluronated organic acids? No...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    because of polyfluronated organic acids? No...

If it's organic it's safe
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never owned Teflon pans and never will.

I use cast iron.
  • scorpio007007
    scorpio007007 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Recently purchased one of those green ceramic frying pans "as advertised on TV" --seasoned it and it works like a charm for eggs. I read many poor reviews, but the trick is use much lower heat and to season them first per instructions.
    I also purchased a very expensive griddle w/ a permanent non-stick surface which has been a delight.
    Both require much less oil or no oil at all (or butter) depending on what is being cooked.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't read
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I read that as teflon panTs and wondered why anyone would be crazy enough to throw those out.