my friends think im crazy

Options
every time i talk about counting calories or how much i weigh people discourage me. they think i am being extreme or unnecessary. i try to explain that to be disciplined you have to pay attention to detail and be very focused! its hard to diet when no one is on the same page

also, my boyfriend is already in shape but he weighs 225 pounds (mostly muscle) and acts like we can eat the same thing. so he is no help! and we always have meals together...on my second day of MFP he convinced me to go out for sushi that night!

i am 149 and 5'7. i want to be 140 and toned. this time last year i was close to 165

i just need more support and motivation to keep going!

Replies

• Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    People are clueless, and we all must tune out that noise.
    Stick to your goals, work your routines and make it happen.
    Let their noise be about your results - not your process.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track. Sometimes it takes other people awhile to see that you are serious and start supporting you. Keep at it. Do what's right for you. You can friend me if you want.
  • Kerxed
    Kerxed Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah dont feel alone there lol all of my friends think the same thing that its kind of unnecessary to keep track of what you eat but so much but it has been working for me so far. This app has helped me to lose so much already, just keep going because when you reach your goal and when everyone asks you can then say "yeah myfitnesspal, the very same thing you said was unnecessary got me here!" haha
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's YOUR body, YOU get to choose what goes in it. If people are being unmotivational just say "Hey I know you think you are helping, but you really aren't and I would appreciate if you kept those comments to yourself". Be diplomatic about it, but dont just let them walk all over you and submit.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    im 5'7. I used to be 140. i worked my way up to 165:(. Definitely do this. Do this for you. Only you can make yourself happy, and you know when your body is in the shape you want it to be in. And when it isn't, that's why people join this site. Some people want a lot of tone, a little tone, etc. My mom used to weigh 230. She made fun of me for counting calories and said I was starving myself. Next week, I start logging and making healthy meals for her on her account. she now weighs 150 and is still goin down. It changed her lifestyle and may have even saved her life. She had really high blood pressure and some other health problems. It's not silly at all, its sensible. And by the time you get to your goal weight and start seeing a lot of physical changes, it'll inspire to you to continue your healthy lifestyle beyond just logging calories on MFP. its changes for life :)
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can go to sushi still... it's all about moderation. You seem like you are doing well by holding yourself accountable and taking things seriously. I think you are being a little too hard on your self. And I totally get the bf thing... He thinks you are beautiful just the way your are... I'm sure!

Good Luck -
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Going to a restaurant is not a problem in itself. It becomes one if you have a hard time doing healthy choices once you're there. 4 sushi = 1 bread slice. So more than 12 sushi is not a good idea.

Also, I think you can eat the same thing as your boyfriend. You just have to cut down on the portion.

Good luck.
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I love this - great advice!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    People are clueless, and we all must tune out that noise.
    Stick to your goals, work your routines and make it happen.

:flowerforyou: ^^^This^^^
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing with my family. I just started keeping things to myself. Just keep doing what you're doing. You're doing this for you, not them. :flowerforyou:
  • RosalindaP
    RosalindaP Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend wasn't being so great about it either until I had a psycho chick moment and told him "I don't care if you wanna sit on you *kitten* and eat fried food! You do what you want, I'll even cook it for you, but don't discourage my choices. This is important to me and the only thing I am asking from you is to support me!" Yea I said it pretty loud too lol. It got my point across and he has been awesome since. Not saying my way was the best but maybe you can find a way to communicate to your boyfriend how important this is to you and how much you would like his support.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    every time i talk about counting calories or how much i weigh people discourage me.
    You will probably find it easier to change and to no longer talk to them about these subjects than to change them and
    train them to respond in your preferred way when you raise these topics.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have to continually remind myself that I do not have to keep up with my husband. He is in shape. He burns the calories. We are two different bodies and each one needs different fuel.

What it mostly comes down to for the both of us is portion size. I have to be sure to make my portions smaller. Make it the correct 1 serving. He can eat 2 or 3 servings, that is fine. I eat one.

He is just going to have to get use to you eating a different portion size. When you say no I am full, then you tell him that. And ask him to be supportive and just say O.K. It works out. Once he sees that you look and feel great because of your diet and exercise, he will really understand.

As for other friends, I have been lucky to find a few friends that are also loosing weight and we are all eating healthier together. See if you can find one of your friends to work with. If not, MFP is a great place to share!

Good Luck and you can do this.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    For almost a year my friends were annoyed by me, not eating what they were eating. Drinking water when we went out the bars, taking time for ME to EXERCISE, first and foremost.

Now, everytime I hang out with them, they ask me for advise, they tell me that I have inspired them to do better, they ask me to workout with them.

I think that it took them some time to see that I was making positive changes in my life and now that they can see the effect those changes have had on me, they are all on board.

Do what is best for you, the rest will fall into place.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Go for sashimi instead of sushi, a great source of protein and zero carbs!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I had a few overweight and out of shape friends that thought I was crazy until recently...now they can actually see results and are pretty impressed. I have a few "naturally" lean friends who were very supportive and told me it would be a good thing to do since apparently my internal fuel guage is broken and to quote my buddy...."you used to have no clue what a serving of something was did you?"

BTW...nothing at all wrong with sushi. I'm a regular at the sushi bar....I don't do rolls though. Not because I think there's anything wrong with them...for me, all that other stuff gets in the way of the yummy raw fish.
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i see MFP is going to really help me get these last 9 pounds off! i see there are really are like minded people out there!
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Hang in there and continue doing what is right for you and your health. It is primary. Surround yourself with true support and care. Hopefully your loved ones will get on board quickly. Remember this is for you not them!
    My only piece of advice for all of us. Be careful when talking to others to not come across as obsessive or judgemental about what we are doing. I know I slip up often with close friends and start sounding obsessive about diet, weight, exercise, but have been careful with others and talk about what I am doing when asked. I have had friends who go on and on about their various diets, to the point it gets hard to be supportive. We want to celebrate our hard work, but share not pound it in.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    he is no help! and we always have meals together...on my second day of MFP he convinced me to go out for sushi that night!

You can lead a person to sushi but you can't make them eat.

• alyceherndon
    Options
    Greetings, you are not crazy! I was recently told that myself. This time last year I weighed 185, and people didn't think that was possible. However, I knew I was not at my best. I personally started cycling in July 1st and by October 1st I was down to 165. Yeah me, until those darn holidays crept in and 10 unwanted friends did too.

Stay motivated on your desired goal, not what others think you should be doing. Remember you are doing this for yourself!