Sunflower Seeds

snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I pose a question to sunflower seed lovers:

I have eaten sunflower seeds ever since I was a kid. I have ALWAYS eaten the WHOLE thing, shell and all! I know most people crack the shell open, eat the seed and spit out the shell. Not me! In fact, I don't know anyone else who eats it the way I do. There are even instructions on the bag that explain the proper way to eat sunflower seeds: "Crack the shell with your teeth, eat the seed and spit out the shell..." When I was young(er), I don't recall instructions on the package.

So, does anyone else eat the whole thing? And, do you think eating the shell and seed contains more calories than eating the seed alone?

Replies

• SBosarge
    SBosarge Posts: 6
    Im new here! This is my first time responding to a post! It is so interesting that you asked this today, because I was fishing the other day and was tiered of cracking the shell and spitting. I gave a whole one to my dog and she ate it all up so I decided to try it. First time I did that since I started eating sunflower seeds. I actually liked eating the whole thing amazingly enough. I have no idea whether there are more calories in it that way. I have always been the stype to crack it and just eat the seed, except the last 2 days. I like the roasted taste of the shell. I asked my hubby about "fiber" cause when I think of the shell I think of fiber, LOL. Who knows!!! I am thinking that our bodies are not able to digest the shell and we will just pass it, making it have no calories.... but you never know. Well Just wanted to put my 2 cents in!

Stacy
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    I always eat the shell. I do it with pumpkin seeds too. Why would you season them if I'm not going to eat the shell?
  • SBosarge
    SBosarge Posts: 6
    Why would you season them if I'm not going to eat the shell?

You have such a good point!!

Stacy
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    I've always eaten the shell. I dont eat them on the reg, actually very rarely. But I just find it a pain to do all that cracking and spitting. They're not that bad and it must be higher in fiber.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    I found my daughter scarfing whole seeds awhile back and called the company. they said while it is not horrible it is the equivalent of eating tree bark or corn husks. Just a waste product that may irritate your intestine and back end. Fun!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Though this was interesting. I use to eat the hulls when younger. Now older cracking and trying to find places to spit the seeds as not to litter. I just buy the already hulled ones and throw them on my salads. But they are fiber.

Is there any harm in eating the sunflower seed shells or hulls?
    The hulls are primarily fiber. Eating a lot of the hulls could conceivably cause one to become impacted. If not chewed properly, the sharp pieces of shell could possibly puncture or attach to the linings of the esophagus or digestive tract. However, the NSA office has not received any reports that would confirm either of these concerns. Visit the Health & Nutrition section of our site to find out more about the nutritional value of the sunflower seed/kernel.

Top of Page
  • snookeroo
    I always eat the shell. I do it with pumpkin seeds too. Why would you season them if I'm not going to eat the shell?

Yea, definitely eat the whole pumpkin seed!
  • snookeroo
    The package instructions also refer to "Experienced seeders".
    Does anyone claim to be an "Experienced seeder"?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    I'm an experienced seeder.

Not really. I don't actually know what they are talking about.
  • baldwinkane
    baldwinkane Posts: 1 Member
    I love to eat sunflower seed with shell.. For more information about how to eat sunflower seed have look here..
    http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Sunflower-Seeds

sunflowerseeds , sunflower seeds
This discussion has been closed.