Horrors of Bingeing

Options
Ok so I've been really good, ten days into my diet with not one problem as at all, and then my boyfriend is given a box of LOVELY chocolates, which he hates, and instead of binning them as they were really expensive I eat six of them (out of like fifteen) plus some other stuff I shouldn't of have (slices of bread and butter etc). I think it was because I have a very stressful day tomorrow at work with the manager and i just ate my worries!
Now I am really really worried, I have consumed more that my daily limit (1680 to be precise, I am on a 1250 mark) and terrified i would mess up my weight loss of four and a half pounds. Add the fact I have a knee injury and won't be able to exercise for at least four more days, I feel awful! I'm also meant to be eating at my boyfriends parents house tonight (i think its chicken pie and potatoes) which would add another 400-500 maybe calories so today I will probably consume around 2,200-300 cals, which is way over (BY 1000 CALORIES 1000)!!

So, what should I do? Do I eat really strictly like 1000-1200 cals tomorrow to compensate and maybe try and do some reluctant sit ups?
Any stories of you're binging, advice about the chocolates sitting there, advice on what to do next/tips etc?
Help NEEDED please! Leighanna:/

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u need to up your calories and try out if it fits your macros eat it , binging reults from deprivation not because u cant have 1 slice of pizza and be satisfied . u can lose weight by eating sweets and chocolates daily ... as long as it fits the macros
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One day will not mess you up...trust me. My goal is set to 1370 calories/day and there have been days where I went over by 1000+ and I have still lost almost 21lbs since November. As long as it's not all the time and you get right back on track you'll be fine!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.

It takes 3500 calories to gain/lose a pound of fat... and starving yourself to compensate, is not healthy either.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that 1680 is still below your TDEE? if you don't know what this number is, then you should find out today.

You don't have to eat below 1250 every day, you just have to eat below your TDEE.

Log it all, be honest, but don't lose sleep over it.

Edit: and 6 pieces of chocolate and some bread and butter is NOT bingeing. That is dangerous vocab to get into your head.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've been really good, ten days into my diet with not one problem as at all, and then my boyfriend is given a box of LOVELY chocolates, which he hates, and instead of binning them as they were really expensive I eat six of them (out of like fifteen) plus some other stuff I shouldn't of have (slices of bread and butter etc). I think it was because I have a very stressful day tomorrow at work with the manager and i just ate my worries!
    Now I am really really worried, I have consumed more that my daily limit (1680 to be precise, I am on a 1250 mark).
    1,680 calories one day is NOT going to mess you up. You probably could eat that every day and still lose weight. Stop stressing.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Throw them down the garbage disposal. I have a HUGE problem with junk food and binging. My parents never allowed us to have snacky food/candy, so when I get around it, I eat it. I try stopping, but I almost have a defiant willful disobedience thing going. I have learned not to keep it in the house. Bf bought expensive chocolates as well. I tried to behave myself with them, but I couldn't so I tossed em. No money is worth the feeling I have about eating unhealthy food.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of them- log it and move on- everyone has bad days where they arent stellar and still lose- fretting about it will only make it worse- stress etc ups your cortisol output which gets stored as fat if you have over abundance- so quit worrying- enjoy the day and breathe deep to de-stress :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Throw them down the garbage disposal. I have a HUGE problem with junk food and binging. My parents never allowed us to have snacky food/candy, so when I get around it, I eat it. I try stopping, but I almost have a defiant willful disobedience thing going. I have learned not to keep it in the house. Bf bought expensive chocolates as well. I tried to behave myself with them, but I couldn't so I tossed em. No money is worth the feeling I have about eating unhealthy food.
    im sorry to say this but u have issues , see a psychologist
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

wow- really dude? We all have food issues or we wouldnt be on here- play nice....
  • FitbeTMF
    Options

Judge much? Get a PhD before you try and diagnose others, Dr. MFP
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What about a MD/PHD? I agree, I'm not saying you need to see a psychologist, but what you describe seems to describe a psychological food issue......if you have found the coping system that works for you, then good.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

wow- really dude? We all have food issues or we wouldnt be on here- play nice....
    I don't have food issues ...
  • FitbeTMF
    Options
    What about a MD/PHD? I agree, I'm not saying you need to see a psychologist, but what you describe seems to describe a psychological food issue......if you have found the coping system that works for you, then good.

Of course it is psychological. EVERY thing we do is.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options

I totally understand where you are coming from. People who don't have the problem don't get it and I'm glad they don't have to deal with it because it really sucks. If you don't get it, please don't criticize - we feel bad enough already!! I often throw food out if it starts to tempt me and I feel the binge mode coming on. You are right, its not worth the money to overeat like that. Anyone who goes overboard with their eating for whatever reason needs to keep it all in perspective. One, or even more bad days does not mean you should give up!! It is a journey we are on to find what works for us and whenever we mess up it is a 'teachable moment" when we can figure out what happened and why so that we will handle the situation better next time. So, maybe you tell your boyfriend not to give you food as a gesture of love and suggest some things which would really make you happy! As for eating later in the day with family - most people understand if you say you had a heavy lunch and don't have much of an appetite. Eat just enough to compliment the cook and start fresh tomorrow :wink:
  • mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've gott issues with sweets, emotional eating, binge eating, etc. The key is to not let one "bad" day ruin the rest of your good intentions. Log it and forget it. Stay on track and chalk it up life has slip ups and they should all be as good as that chocolate you ate! :)

BTW, I'm new to this site (1st week) and have to say, for the most part, love the support and info this provides, but the haters on here can be much more damaging than anything else. Some of these people seem so judgemental and down right mean. I think they need to up their carb intake.... it regulates our moods and mental capacity. Why even do something like this if you are the picture of perfection and have no issues? Things that make you go hmmmm......
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is a long term solution to a long term problem. We will have days that we eat more than others. Like someone said, log it and move on. If you have 10 days meeting your goals, you are doing terrific. Do not let one day make you crazy.